Gaming: What pisses you off?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
10-03-2014, 03:25 AM
RE: Gaming: What pisses you off?
(10-03-2014 03:22 AM)Charis Wrote:  I'd definitely wanna make sure my boobs have good support underneath, but I digress.

In League of Legends or any other relatively short pvp match: People who troll, afk and leave the match. People who stand there running their mouth and then claiming some personal connection with game developers and saying "yeah? well, after this game I'm calling so and so and you're getting permabanned! Nyah!" While I've never been on the receiving end of this, I've seen it and I just wanna impale them on Soraka's horn.

In a dungeon (i.e. in Neverwinter or typical MMO).... the party/squad gets into a fight with mobs... someone makes a mistake and brings a herd of about 6-7 more mobs on top of them. I'm the healer. I catch up (they were rushing ahead, silent, no communication). They've killed those mobs, and I'm trying to heal them up, but wait... now they're running down the hall! Wth! Do you want your heals or not??? You're at 15% hp and leaping into a group of 4?? And... oh looky there, you were just about one-hit. UGH! *uses speed boost, healhealheal...* So freaking annoying. Stop running awaaaay from your healer. Don't be an idiot. Communicate.

PUG's suck.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-03-2014, 03:37 AM
(10-03-2014 03:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 03:22 AM)Charis Wrote:  I'd definitely wanna make sure my boobs have good support underneath, but I digress.

In League of Legends or any other relatively short pvp match: People who troll, afk and leave the match. People who stand there running their mouth and then claiming some personal connection with game developers and saying "yeah? well, after this game I'm calling so and so and you're getting permabanned! Nyah!" While I've never been on the receiving end of this, I've seen it and I just wanna impale them on Soraka's horn.

In a dungeon (i.e. in Neverwinter or typical MMO).... the party/squad gets into a fight with mobs... someone makes a mistake and brings a herd of about 6-7 more mobs on top of them. I'm the healer. I catch up (they were rushing ahead, silent, no communication). They've killed those mobs, and I'm trying to heal them up, but wait... now they're running down the hall! Wth! Do you want your heals or not??? You're at 15% hp and leaping into a group of 4?? And... oh looky there, you were just about one-hit. UGH! *uses speed boost, healhealheal...* So freaking annoying. Stop running awaaaay from your healer. Don't be an idiot. Communicate.

PUG's suck.

Hey now, lets not throw out fighting words like that.

Not all of us are terrible at the games we play.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-03-2014, 03:41 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 03:44 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(10-03-2014 03:02 AM)palnai Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:59 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Give credit where credit is due (in this case, Bioware), women in Mass Effect are just as heavily armored as the men.

[Image: MassEffect32012-04-0219-04-24-54_0.jpg]

Bethesda also get props for generally staying aware from 'cheesecake' offerings in their games (the offerings of the mod community notwithstanding).

[Image: Nordic_Carved_Armor_-_Both.png]

[Image: Heavy_Chitin_Armor_-_Both.png]

[Image: 600px-SR-item-Dragonplate_Armor_Female.jpg]

[Image: 600px-SR-item-Daedric_Armor_Female.jpg]

[Image: 600px-SR-item-Steel_Plate_Armor_Female.jpg]

I'll give Bioware credit there though the armors having the general breast shape still annoys me though not to as great a degree.

The reason the breast shape in the armor annoys me is that I don't see the point to it as wouldn't that region be bound even if it was only for comfort as I doubt any of the armors in the pics are comfy on the inside.

Still it's a step in the right direction so I'll give them that.
(Side note: I'm willing ignore 'sexy armor' if it has a good story based reason, and it's done tastefully)

The point is simple, everyone likes a pretty lady. But there's a huge difference between a Frazetta style cheesecake in a chain-mail bikini like Red Sonya...

[Image: red-sonja.jpg]

...and Commander Shepard or Ashley Williams from Mass Effect.

[Image: me3femshep2.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-03-2014, 04:02 AM
What if the only articles of armor in games were titanium nipple coverings and a tungsten carbide bikini bottom? And both men and women wore them?
[+] 2 users Like DemonicLemon's post
10-03-2014, 04:25 AM
(10-03-2014 03:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 03:02 AM)palnai Wrote:  I'll give Bioware credit there though the armors having the general breast shape still annoys me though not to as great a degree.

The reason the breast shape in the armor annoys me is that I don't see the point to it as wouldn't that region be bound even if it was only for comfort as I doubt any of the armors in the pics are comfy on the inside.

Still it's a step in the right direction so I'll give them that.
(Side note: I'm willing ignore 'sexy armor' if it has a good story based reason, and it's done tastefully)

The point is simple, everyone likes a pretty lady. But there's a huge difference between a Frazetta style cheesecake in a chain-mail bikini like Red Sonya...

[Image: red-sonja.jpg]

...and Commander Shepard or Ashley Williams from Mass Effect.

Massive difference, (tbh if I'd just been shown the image of Red Sonya and not the title of the comic or anything else but just her I'd have thought you had just taken it off devaintart, as in some of the fetish art/ecchi/whatever that can be found there and not a 'real' character who has stories built around it)

Side note: I had been thinking of chainmail bikinis in my other post which is why I said it was a small step, as there's still the shape to emphasise the fact that they're female but at least now they are covered etc, but compared to Sonya it's a lot more, don't know how but somehow she's dressed in even less than the example in my head.

I've no issue with pretty ladies, got some with characters like Red Sonya and other fan service-y characters and I guess I just start seeing it everywhere (the fanservice).

(Does what I'm saying make sense as I haven't slept in 20 hours and my brain is a little off? I think I'm going to log off as it's quickly turning into gibberish between the lack of sleep and the constant half-assed edits)

"Villain, i have done thy mother" - Aaron, Act IV, Scene II of Titus Andronicus
10-03-2014, 04:29 AM
(10-03-2014 04:02 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  What if the only articles of armor in games were titanium nipple coverings and a tungsten carbide bikini bottom? And both men and women wore them?

I might just be fine with that, win-win for me Big Grin

ooooh and tassels on the end of the nipple coverings Yes

"Villain, i have done thy mother" - Aaron, Act IV, Scene II of Titus Andronicus
10-03-2014, 06:48 AM
[Image: MassEffect32012-04-0219-04-24-54_0.jpg]

It's interesting that the woman's armour is more rounded and feminine compared to the man's masculine angular edges.

It's like armour styled on curvacious breasts, hips and bottoms versus armour styled on jutting chins and pecs.

And is this Commander Shepherd wearing masculine armour in the picture below?

10-03-2014, 08:35 AM
(10-03-2014 06:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  [Image: MassEffect32012-04-0219-04-24-54_0.jpg]

It's interesting that the woman's armour is more rounded and feminine compared to the man's masculine angular edges.

It's like armour styled on curvacious breasts, hips and bottoms versus armour styled on jutting chins and pecs.

And is this Commander Shepherd wearing masculine armour in the picture below?

No, the Commander Shepard in the bottom pic is wearing one of the many female versions of the protagonist's N7 armor. Yes the female armor is less angular, emphasizing curves over edges; but these tropes is not new or unique to video-game character design by any means. You can see that the lines in the design of Ashley's (the woman in the blue armor) place a greater visual emphasis on her torso, and following them from her chest down to her groin give the impression of a one-piece swimsuit. It is very visually appealing, and for different reasons than the armor worm by the men.

[Image: Kaidan-CE-Armor-1.jpg]

But that doesn't mean it's necessarily sexist. These are common design tropes that get used all around us, and for a reason; they are familiar visual shorthand that helps convey meaning quickly and easily (because most don't even stop to think about it). You can see this at play in the automotive industry as well, just take a look at these two cars and ask yourself which one is more masculine and which one appears to be more feminine?

[Image: porsche-2014-911-gt3.jpg]

[Image: Lamborghini-Revent%C3%B3n-8.jpg]

There's a reason why they made Lightning McQueen a Corvette and Sally Carrera a Porsche in the movie CARS. Within context, Ashley there can easily go toe-to-toe with either Shepard or the gorilla looking brick shithouse known as Vega. Still, Ashley and FemShep have the shoulder plates and massive armored collars same as Vega does. As for the amount of skin that they all show, nothing more than their respective heads are shown; there is no unnecessary cleavage box a-la Power Girl.

[Image: Power_Girl_Vol_2_27.jpg]

The armor design works and makes sense within the game's context. Ashley's is actually right about the middle, as there are examples that are bulkier and more akin to men's armor; and some of the character can get dangerously close to 'cheescake' territory; with probably the biggest offender here being EDI.

[Image: kolbyjukes-mass-effect-3-edi.jpg]

However even here, it makes sense within context. EDI is an AI that took over a synthetic subterfuge and assassination platform purpose built to mimic and infiltrate humans. The platform itself has no need for clothes, as there's not enough there to see nor does EDI really have a grasp on the concept of 'modesty'. Also the platform was built for infiltration, so you can't blame the designers for giving it a seductive knock-out figure. Once again, it all makes sense within context. That being said, if you as the player are uncomfortable with that look, you can easily change it to something a bit more modest; it's still essentially a cat-suit, but it is an additional layer.

[Image: VideoGameArt_MassEffect3_Edi00a_KolbyJukes.jpg]

Hell, they could have made her officer's attire more cheesecake friendly, but they didn't. She showing barely more skin than when she's in armor.

[Image: Ashley_ingame.jpg]

But the gold standards for Bioware have to be Tali'Zora and Garrus, the two non-human romantic interest that are present throughout the entire trilogy. Make no mistake, these are my two favorite characters in the series hands-down; and the series is filled with awesome characters. Bioware can, and will, make you fall in love (and consummate that love) with non-human characters. Whatever else anyone might say about Bioware, whatever complains might get thrown at them over their visual design choices; their writing and characterization always more than make up for it.

[Image: pumquarianfemale.jpg]

[Image: VideoGameArt_MassEffect3_GarrusVariation...tLowis.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
10-03-2014, 09:17 AM
(10-03-2014 03:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

PUG's suck.

QFT.

I don't play MMOs that much anymore because I got so sick of wiping on raids that are walkthroughs with a good group. Occasionally, I'd get a PUG where I was the outsider and the rest were all guildmates or friends IRL. As long as I spoke the same language as them, they were pretty good. However, the vast majority of PUGs that I've gotten are a bunch of random people where nobody has a voice client and only use it to yell "STUPID HEALER" when they do.

And on the topic of healing, if you are the tank, and the healer has 10% mana... Don't fucking pull another group and then bitch because the healer sucks. I have healed through some of the toughest dungeons the game has to offer. I've singlehandedly kept wipes from happening. It's my job and I do it well. I can not heal through a boss fight with no mana, though. Keep doing it and I'll let your ass die and PM the others in the group to find a new tank. Crunchies are easy to find.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Finally beating the final boss on FTL only to discover to beat the boss I have to beat him 3 fucking times.
Sadface.