Gandalf sucks at his magic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Gandalf sucks at his magic
Honestly, this wizard is like level 20, and using level 5v magic spells. For example, in the hobbit, (movie) he casts fireball ON PINECONES! He has used teleportation before. And why not use the eagles more often when he talks to the little moth thing. Am I missing something. Even in lord of the rings, he uses force sheild attack. Granted, he was a white wizard after that, but still. Do you see my frusteration? If he would have litened to me in the movie, nobody would have died. Huh

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2013 07:33 PM by Chas.)
RE: Gandalf sucks at his magic
(24-03-2013 02:15 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Honestly, this wizard is like level 20, and using level 5v magic spells. For example, in the hobbit, (movie) he casts fireball ON PINECONES! He has used teleportation before. And why not use the eagles more often when he talks to the little moth thing. Am I missing something. Even in lord of the rings, he uses force sheild attack. Granted, he was a white wizard after that, but still. Do you see my frusteration? If he would have litened to me in the movie, nobody would have died. Huh

No, Peter Fucking Jackson sucks at making movies.

It would have been better had Peter Fucking Jackson actually read the book. It makes sense in the book. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2013, 07:25 PM
"Slay a dragon for a Hobbit, he'll plunder for a day. Teach a Hobbit to slay a dragon, he'll plunder for a lifetime."

Essentially, Gandalf is a guiding hand rather than a firm fist. He provides minimal help so others can rise to the occasion.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
24-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Re: Gandalf sucks at his magic
*chuckles* oh dear
24-03-2013, 08:04 PM
It's a prequel, Gandalf was younger then. Maybe he learned some tricks between The Hobbit and LOTR.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
24-03-2013, 09:44 PM
(24-03-2013 08:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's a prequel, Gandalf was younger then. Maybe he learned some tricks between The Hobbit and LOTR.

Well, not actually a prequel. The Hobbit was written many years before LOTR was even conceived.

"A prequel is a literary, dramatic, or film work whose story precedes that of a previous work."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I stand corrected, my bad.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
25-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Heh, I've been saying that for decades. Long before "Peter Fucking Jackson" and his interpretation. In the entire 4 books, Hobbit + LotR trilogy, Gandalf used about 6 spells, mostly stuff that, in D&D, is extremely low level.

But, so what?

It's not D&D.

In D&D worlds, there are thousands of wizards and thousands more spellcasters of other kinds. Every wizard in D&D can cast light and ventriloquism and prestidigitation - Gandalf's favorites. For a D&D wizard to stand out, he needs to hurl around a half dozen fireballs in every fight, summon demons to fight for him, blast chain lightning to devastate hordes of enemies, or call down meteor swarms from the clear blue skies.

But in LotR, there are 5 wizards, two of whom have never been seen by man nor dwarf nor hobbit. A few more spellcasters among the elves, but that's it. Less than 10 in the world. For a LotR wizard to stand out, all he has to do is cast a cantrip or two and armies will bow before his might.

LotR wizards are sages, masters of lore, and tricky bastards who know what's what and what to do about it. They lead and inspire and guide others to greatness. They're immortal (nearly) and practically indestructible. Not even remotely human. Their might in battle is with sword and guile, not with blasts of flame and frost and lightning.

Gandalf is barely a wizard in D&D, barely traded in his apprentice apron for a wizard's robe, but in LotR, he's practically a god.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
25-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Psssh, everyone knows Gandalf was a Lore-master. Those are guys are weak, their skill inductions are too long, and they rely too much on their ravens and sticky gourds.

Now if he was a Rune-keeper, Smaug and that Balrog would've been taken down in a flash.

Tongue

[Image: 2aane4j.jpg]
25-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Gandalf is one of the 5 Istari. They weren't allowed to to be at full power (As they were as Maiar) because they were in the forms of mortal men. So what you see is a very watered down version of what they really are.