Gang Activities?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Gang Activities?
I live in Virginia, go to college, have night classes on Thursdays for college. And my mom is just worrying like mad due to this articular she read about MS-13 gang.

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/bristo...63e7a.html

I've already told her, mom we live away from the city of Bristol, VA. And they have said their year after year that there are 'gangs in Virginia near your area, keep you kids indoors'
I'm fairly certain these are just scare tactics designed to parents to keep their kids on a curfew so the police don't have to 'watch teenagers' they 'think' are doing something bad. It's been used before, they don't want to watch their kids.

Plus in the artical they gave specifics, 'parking lots' meaning I'll get raped in my school parking lot.

Keep in mind she was ALWAYS against me going to this 'Liberal Community College' that was 'Brainwashing me into a Liberal' in her eyes. She's tried again and again to make me quick college and take up working for minimum wage living forever with her.

She told me as a kid when i was in school about these people taking kids in our area, and it never happened in our school or even remotely near our area.

By now, I sometimes think these news she finds on facebook in fearmongering news pieces and she's just scared of nothing or trying to find an excuse for me to quite.

Sure it scares me also, but I'll be with people all the time at college. I've let her know I am 100% safe at school.
But she's no convinced, she is convinced I'll be raped and has to let me know very verbally just to make me scared of every living person I look at.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2017, 09:24 PM
RE: Gang Activities?
Parents worry about their kids + governments want to control the citizenry = your current dilemma. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-08-2017, 10:13 PM
I can understand your apprehension. We're having increasing gang activity on our streets in Melbourne (Australia), particularly in the lower socioeconomic suburbs with large migrant populations. (I used to live there.)

Three of the main offending ethnic groups are Asians, particularly Vietnamese, Africans, primarily Sudanese, and Lebanese. It's interesting to note that prior to the rescinding of the widely, publicly-reviled White Australia Policy, we had virtually no street gang or drug-related violence. The Sudanese are largely involved in carjackings, home invasions, and petty crimes such as handbag-snatching, and shoplifting. The Asians are mainly involved with illicit drug importation—in massive quantities—and aided by previously established, in-country dealer associates in both Vietnam and China.

All this sort of illegal activity has naturally led to so-called turf wars between opposing ethnic gangs, with the general public often getting involved inadvertently in the "cross-fire". Because of this gang warfare, our police command have now declared certain suburbs "Red Zones", wherein cruisers must be manned by two LEOs rather than singles as for other safer suburbs.

In repeated surveys here, females, of all ages report that they no longer feel safe walking along streets after dark, crossing open parklands, or travelling on public transport at night.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
28-08-2017, 06:05 AM
Hell I personally get death threats from various gang members on a weekly basis. Just a couple hours ago.

The actual danger is probably overestimated by the media and the paranoid. But they're out there, and they live in a different world than we do.

Real or not, don't let the perceived danger stop you from doing what you want. There's shit out there to worry about (and be prepared for) no matter what kind of life you lead or where you lead it from.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
28-08-2017, 06:56 AM
(28-08-2017 06:05 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Real or not, don't let the perceived danger stop you from doing what you want. There's shit out there to worry about (and be prepared for) no matter what kind of life you lead or where you lead it from.

Yes! This.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
28-08-2017, 07:40 AM
I grew up in Northern Virginia that population in Alexandria has exploded. Bristol is out in the boonies way far away from even Richmond which is 90 mins south of DC.

I live in NC near the SC border, and I cant tell you violence isn't just an urban thing. But having said that, that kind of trouble you wont find unless you are looking for it. But no matter where you live, it is always good to know where you are going, what your environment is and if you are not sure take a buddy with you. But no, you don't have to live your life in fear. Bristol like my town isn't anywhere close to Mosel Iraq.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2017, 07:42 AM
I agree with yakherder, and there are other things to worry about: your greatest chance of assault is probably at a party or on a date.
Building a good social network of people who look out for one another is one way to help counter this.

Perhaps if you took a self-defence class, she might feel better?

Also, contact your campus security to ask about areas to avoid, or if they have a buddy walk system (we have one at uOttawa for those who live near campus: volunteers will walk you to and from class at night).

Be sensible and assess the danger objectively and rationally; try not to let other people's fears infect you.
Inform yourself and do what you can, stay alert and live your life.

As a fellow mom, I can guarantee that she would be worried regardless of what you do (or don't do).
It's in (most) mom's DNA.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
28-08-2017, 08:03 AM
(28-08-2017 07:42 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I agree with yakherder, and there are other things to worry about: your greatest chance of assault is probably at a party or on a date.
Building a good social network of people who look out for one another is one way to help counter this.

Also, contact your campus security to ask about areas to avoid, or if they have a buddy walk system (we have one at uOttawa for those who live near campus: volunteers will walk you to and from class at night).

Be sensible and assess the danger objectively and rationally; try not to let other people's fears infect you.

As a fellow mom, I can guarantee that she would be worried regardless of what you do (or don't do).

Yep so true. My late mom worried about me constantly, would flip out if I didn't call her at certain times of the day. I am not ashamed one bit to say I am a momma's boy. Moms are going to worry no matter what you do.

I would say though, if you are deeply indoctrinated at birth in religion, it can make it that much harder on a kid if they are exposed to a diverse society. I do know my biological family are mostly conservatives outside my younger sister. Everything scares them.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-08-2017, 05:10 PM
(28-08-2017 06:05 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The actual danger is probably overestimated by the media and the paranoid. But they're out there, and they live in a different world than we do.

And they're not particularly interested in drawing attention to themselves with random acts of violence against random citizens. They live in my neighborhood and as long as I stay out of their business they're a better neighborhood watch than any security system you could buy. The bigger worry at University is the Blacksburg Bipolar Batshit Bonkers risk.

#sigh
28-08-2017, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2017 07:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-08-2017 07:42 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I agree with yakherder, and there are other things to worry about: your greatest chance of assault is probably at a party or on a date.

These are excellent points. Just because MS-13 is nothing to for you or your mom to be worried about, doesn't mean there are not many other threats to anticipate. I been giving the GirlyDaughter bear pepper spray and an air horn since she was 15 yo over a decade now as Christmas stocking stuffers. The big advantages of bear pepper spray are 1) it's capsaicin concentration is 10x that of people pepper spray and 2) it's legal even in the States where people pepper spray ain't like NY, HI, and MA. Because wherever you go, thar' be bears out there. Big Grin

The buddy system is the most effective strategy, but the women soldiers who briefed us on our annual sexual harassment training said that being issued airhorns and forced to walk with a buddy after dark is itself demeaning, not so much to them as the entire US Army.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post