Gang Activities?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 07:18 PM
RE: Gang Activities?
(28-08-2017 05:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 06:05 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The actual danger is probably overestimated by the media and the paranoid. But they're out there, and they live in a different world than we do.

And they're not particularly interested in drawing attention to themselves with random acts of violence against random citizens. They live in my neighborhood and as long as I stay out of their business they're a better neighborhood watch than any security system you could buy. The bigger worry at University is the Blacksburg Bipolar Batshit Bonkers risk.

Living in North Oxnard (aka "Little Beirut"), I had a great security plan -- I gave a steady supply of used guitar strings to the vatos locos that they'd use for their tattooing.

$5000 of gear in my apartment, and not one guitar-pick stolen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-08-2017, 07:21 PM
(28-08-2017 07:18 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 05:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And they're not particularly interested in drawing attention to themselves with random acts of violence against random citizens. They live in my neighborhood and as long as I stay out of their business they're a better neighborhood watch than any security system you could buy. The bigger worry at University is the Blacksburg Bipolar Batshit Bonkers risk.

Living in North Oxnard (aka "Little Beirut"), I had a great security plan -- I gave a steady supply of used guitar strings to the vatos locos that they'd use for their tattooing.

See, and as long as you didn't ask for the definition of "tattooing" everything's cool.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-08-2017, 07:29 PM
(28-08-2017 07:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 07:18 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Living in North Oxnard (aka "Little Beirut"), I had a great security plan -- I gave a steady supply of used guitar strings to the vatos locos that they'd use for their tattooing.

See, and as long as you didn't ask for the definition of "tattooing" everything's cool.

[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-08-2017, 07:36 PM
(28-08-2017 05:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I been giving the GirlyDaughter bear pepper spray and an air horn since she was 15 yo over a decade now as Christmas stocking stuffers. The big advantages of bear pepper spray are 1) it's capsaicin concentration is 10x that of people pepper spray and 2) it's legal even in the States where people pepper spray ain't like NY, HI, and MA. Because wherever you go, thar' be bears out there. Big Grin

Forgot to mention, this year I grew a "Winter is Coming" worth's shitload stockpile of Ghost Peppers this season 'cause bears, she's getting homemade dead white walker bear spray in the stocking this year if I can figure out to aerosolize it. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-08-2017, 09:16 PM
(28-08-2017 07:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 05:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I been giving the GirlyDaughter bear pepper spray and an air horn since she was 15 yo over a decade now as Christmas stocking stuffers. The big advantages of bear pepper spray are 1) it's capsaicin concentration is 10x that of people pepper spray and 2) it's legal even in the States where people pepper spray ain't like NY, HI, and MA. Because wherever you go, thar' be bears out there. Big Grin

Forgot to mention, this year I grew a "Winter is Coming" worth's shitload stockpile of Ghost Peppers this season 'cause bears, she's getting homemade dead white walker bear spray in the stocking this year if I can figure out to aerosolize it. Smile

I got a dozen jalepeno plants, a veritable forest of plants, and as of yet not one goddamn jalepeno.

My thumb is a mere pale yellow. I am ashamed. Weeping

But then, MS13 isn't really a threat around here, so I'll take what I can get. Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Among the better sprays our there are those that shoot a stream, and have an indelible dye. Hose that sucker down good and turn 'em blue like a smurf. A bear type spray though is good for fogging a crowd. But make sure they are down wind.

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
01-09-2017, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 06:32 PM by yakherder.)
Bear spray is limited to 2% OC by the EPA. Self defense spray is not governed by the EPA and, while some varieties may be less powerful than bear spray, it is often sold in concentrations as high as 10%.

Do not assume that bear spray is stronger. They are actually more susceptible to it due to their acute senses. The fact that they're bigger is irrelevant.

The advantage of bear spray is range and volume. This can work against you if you use it indoors in an enclosed space. And, of course legal convenience in some scenarios. I cannot carry self defense spray off duty in Canada, for example. I can, however, carry bear spray. The stipulation is that if I ever end up having to use it in self defense against a human and end up in court, I have to be able to convince the judge that I was carrying it for defense against bears and it just so happened to be in reach when I needed to defend myself against a human. That's doable if it happens outside of the city or on a trail or something, but he's not gonna buy it if I was carrying it around in downtown Ottawa. And if the court decides I was carrying it specifically for use against a human, even if for self defense, it becomes a prohibited weapon and that can land me two years in jail even if my use of it to defend myself is deemed justified,

Wherever you are, know your laws regarding the use of bear spray if that's what you choose to use, and don't assume that it's stronger.

I've been sprayed by human spray many times, subjected to cross contamination when using it in an enclosed space or wrestling down someone who's been sprayed many more times, and been hit with bear spray once just out of curiosity.

In my opinion both fucking suck to get sprayed with. I doubt I could have distinguished between the two, though. And even though it never stops sucking no matter how many times you get hit, you can learn to will your way through its debilitating effects. Especially if you've got some adrenaline pumping through you and the experience to know that after you get hit, you've often got a good 5 to 10 seconds before the worst of it sinks in. Personally, I'd use that 5 to 10 seconds to close the gap and take the person to the ground to A: reduce the disadvantage of having reduced vision and B: make sure whoever sprayed me gets contaminated too.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
01-09-2017, 06:22 PM
(01-09-2017 05:56 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I doubt I could have distinguished between the two, though. And even though it never stops sucking no matter how many times you get hit, you can learn to will your way through its debilitating effects.

You can also develop a tolerance to it. In boot camp we had to go into the CS chamber, take our masks off and recite our oath of office. About 10 seconds w/o the mask and we were all gagging. There was one guy who wasn't in our company who stayed in there the whole time through 4 companies w/o his mask. When asked how he could do that, he said in prison you learn to eat through the tear gas or you don't eat. Dunno how he got in the USN with a prison record but they can make exceptions if they find your particular skill set useful.

#sigh
01-09-2017, 06:31 PM
(01-09-2017 06:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 05:56 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I doubt I could have distinguished between the two, though. And even though it never stops sucking no matter how many times you get hit, you can learn to will your way through its debilitating effects.

You can also develop a tolerance to it. In boot camp we had to go into the CS chamber, take our masks off and recite our oath of office. About 10 seconds w/o the mask and we were all gagging. There was one guy who wasn't in our company who stayed in there the whole time through 4 companies w/o his mask. When asked how he could do that, he said in prison you learn to eat through the tear gas or you don't eat. Dunno how he got in the USN with a prison record but they can make exceptions if they find your particular skill set useful.

They can also make exceptions if they need people bad enough. When deployments first started kicking in for Afghanistan, numbers were down, and your average recruit was just there for the free college, they were offering all sorts of waivers. The one thing they won't waive is domestic abuse. If that's on your record, you are not allowed to handle a weapon in the military.

Nowadays there are so many people wanting to deploy that the waivers are once again not necessary for most jobs.

'Murican Canadian