Gap Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Gap Theory
So apparently there's something called the Gap Theory. Between the 1st and 2nd (if I remember correctly) verse in Genesis is a gap. A gap the supposedly accounts for millions of years.
The theory is that in this Gap, Satan was in charge of the earth, and created the dinosaurs and and chaos.
Along came God, and said "dude, what the fuck? This shit ain't gonna work". And God waved his magic wand and created what we now know as earth/eden or what have you. And then Genesis takes it from there.
I call bull crap on it. But what do I know. I'm a heathen haha. I'm curious if anyone else has heard something similar to this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2016, 05:21 AM
RE: Gap Theory
(21-04-2016 11:07 PM)Droogle Wrote:  So apparently there's something called the Gap Theory. Between the 1st and 2nd (if I remember correctly) verse in Genesis is a gap. A gap the supposedly accounts for millions of years.
The theory is that in this Gap, Satan was in charge of the earth, and created the dinosaurs and and chaos.
Along came God, and said "dude, what the fuck? This shit ain't gonna work". And God waved his magic wand and created what we now know as earth/eden or what have you. And then Genesis takes it from there.
I call bull crap on it. But what do I know. I'm a heathen haha. I'm curious if anyone else has heard something similar to this.

Absolutely, this is the basis of old earth creationism, it's more reasonable than YEC, but ultimately just as untrue.

It's a bargain between science and faith, accepting the truth of deep time which has a mountain of evidence to support it, while still being able to accept the biblical creation story.

Even if you accept the "gap" between verse 1 & 2 in Genesis and say billions of years were between these two verses, it's still a totally warped version of the origin of things that does not conform to any science.

For example in verse 1 of Genesis it says god created the heaven and the Earth at the same time -nope, wrong wrong wrong!

In verse 2 it says Earth and water existed and then god created light- wrong, wrong, wrong!

Old-Earth creationism tries to put a square peg into a round hole, it simply does not work, but it can create enough smoke and mirrors for those that want to believe the bible to be true to go on believing if they don't examine the creation myth too much.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
22-04-2016, 06:14 AM
The biggest gap in that theory is the void in the skull of the person who thought it up.............................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
22-04-2016, 06:21 AM
I think it's just people trying to make the Bible say something it doesn't say.
The Bible doesn't even hint at Satan making dinosaurs and chaos.
22-04-2016, 06:28 AM
You know, I'm not really that irritated when believers go "cafeteria Christian" on me, but when they start making shit up to fill in the "gaps" I wonder why they bother with the Bible at all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2016, 06:31 AM
(22-04-2016 06:28 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You know, I'm not really that irritated when believers go "cafeteria Christian" on me, but when they start making shit up to fill in the "gaps" I wonder why they bother with the Bible at all.

I wonder that, too.

The Bible is supposed to be the infallible word of an infallible, omni-everything deity. Thy can't it hold itself up? It seems like people always have to make excuses for it.
22-04-2016, 06:46 AM
(22-04-2016 06:31 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 06:28 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You know, I'm not really that irritated when believers go "cafeteria Christian" on me, but when they start making shit up to fill in the "gaps" I wonder why they bother with the Bible at all.

I wonder that, too.

The Bible is supposed to be the infallible word of an infallible, omni-everything deity. Thy can't it hold itself up? It seems like people always have to make excuses for it.

Why they bother with Bible? Cause it is Ultimate Authority on Every Subject and Infallible Word of God*. It also tells believers how to lead moral life - just imagine how shitty life would be if people wouldn't respect all that biblical rules. Society would collapse were it not for wisdom of patriarchs contained in scripture. I shudder to think what could happen if people would start:

- wearing clothing woven of more than one kind of cloth
- eating aquatic creatures lacking fins or scales
- cutting the hair on the sides of your head or clipping of the edges of your beard

*Except when it isn't and needs interpretation.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Sure - when the Bible or Torah doesn't say what you want it to say, make some shit up. Thumbsup

Why does anyone fall for this crap? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2016, 11:27 AM
(22-04-2016 10:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  Sure - when the Bible or Torah doesn't say what you want it to say, make some shit up. Thumbsup

Why does anyone fall for this crap? Consider

Because belief in god diminishes critical thinking skills?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-04-2016, 01:12 PM
Satan wasn't even a thought in the early writings in the bible.

The serpent was a common character in ancient tales. Usually used as a symbol of wisdom or eternal life. (Since it could shed it skin and look young again) It the Epic of Gilgamesh the serpent is the one that took eternal life from Gilgamesh.

I don't even there Satan was even mentioned until Job.

If this Gap "theory" was true. God would still be an asshole. One fore making Satan. But another for saying Satan did a sucky job. The millions of years the dinosaurs raned. Or even the millions of years before the Mesozoic Era. Hell (small) mammals first appeared during this time. Which eventually gave rise to us. So are we suppose to be thankful to Satan for existing?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post