Gap Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2016, 01:22 PM
RE: Gap Theory
(21-04-2016 11:07 PM)Droogle Wrote:  So apparently there's something called the Gap Theory. Between the 1st and 2nd (if I remember correctly) verse in Genesis is a gap. A gap the supposedly accounts for millions of years.
The theory is that in this Gap, Satan was in charge of the earth, and created the dinosaurs and and chaos.
Along came God, and said "dude, what the fuck? This shit ain't gonna work". And God waved his magic wand and created what we now know as earth/eden or what have you. And then Genesis takes it from there.
I call bull crap on it. But what do I know. I'm a heathen haha. I'm curious if anyone else has heard something similar to this.

That's just racist against dinosaurs. Too soon. Have a care, people.

Never forget!

[Image: dinosaurs-tv-show.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
22-04-2016, 03:00 PM
There are certainly many gaps in the Bible that beg for explanations but the book itself is not a history book or a science book. It's a tool for spiritual teachings so it can be as poetic and mystical as it wants and then later someone can come by and interpret the verses to mean pretty much whatever they want. I've even had some Christians tell me that the Eden story is purely an allegory for the fall of man, it didn't actually happen that way...but women suck, don't forget that.

Really if we want to give them the benefit of the doubt that the Earth is actually 4 billion years old it still doesn't explain why the universe is around 14 billion years old, what was God doing for 10 billion years? If we're going to play games like that we can make up anything we want to fill in the gaps, maybe God was busy creating other universes, maybe he was in a very long chess game with Satan, etc. Perhaps that "rest" he needed just took billions of years and when he woke up and saw what happened to Earth he was like "Awww hell naw! This is all messed up now! I'm gonna have to start over!" It's a fantasy story after all, just because we don't believe doesn't mean we can't make it up as we go along like they do.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
22-04-2016, 03:59 PM
(22-04-2016 03:00 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  ...but women suck, don't forget that.

[Image: t0CWfhn.gif]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
23-04-2016, 05:22 AM
(22-04-2016 01:12 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Satan wasn't even a thought in the early writings in the bible.

The serpent was a common character in ancient tales. Usually used as a symbol of wisdom or eternal life. (Since it could shed it skin and look young again) It the Epic of Gilgamesh the serpent is the one that took eternal life from Gilgamesh.

I don't even there Satan was even mentioned until Job.

If this Gap "theory" was true. God would still be an asshole. One fore making Satan. But another for saying Satan did a sucky job. The millions of years the dinosaurs raned. Or even the millions of years before the Mesozoic Era. Hell (small) mammals first appeared during this time. Which eventually gave rise to us. So are we suppose to be thankful to Satan for existing?

Yes. Thank God for Satan!

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
23-04-2016, 05:44 AM
Oh cool! So Satan is the original CreatOR. (Creationists always say creation like that implying we have to be created by someone.)