Garage door problem- Help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Garage door problem- Help!
this seems to be the forum for anything and you seem like a smart bunch so I figured I would ask here.

Garage door problems- anyone know how to fix this? The door opens fine with the wall switch. The sensors (near the floor) seem to be aligned and fine. But when I hit the wall switch to close it, the motor runs but the door doesn't move. I have to pull the safety release, pull the door down manually, then lock in the safety release again. Suggestions?

thanks!!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 09:19 AM
RE: Garage door problem- Help!
(06-06-2013 09:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  this seems to be the forum for anything and you seem like a smart bunch so I figured I would ask here.

Garage door problems- anyone know how to fix this? The door opens fine with the wall switch. The sensors (near the floor) seem to be aligned and fine. But when I hit the wall switch to close it, the motor runs but the door doesn't move. I have to pull the safety release, pull the door down manually, then lock in the safety release again. Suggestions?

thanks!!

Once you've done that, will the door raise again with the motor? Probably yes and I'll answer with that assumption...

Sounds like a stripped gear or bushing, depending on the type of opener. I haven't fooled with many garage door openers but I sold and services automatic gates as a part of my security business for about twenty years. I would imagine the mechanisms are very similar.

If you can get me the make and model of the opener, I'll find an exploded view of the mechanism and see if I can help you shoot trouble on it.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
(06-06-2013 09:19 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 09:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  this seems to be the forum for anything and you seem like a smart bunch so I figured I would ask here.

thanks!!

Once you've done that, will the door raise again with the motor? Probably yes and I'll answer with that assumption...

yes.

might be tough getting the make and model ....I'm only 5'3" and the mountain of storage on all sides of it is about 8' tall. Unsure It's a Genie. basic model. I'm certain the builder of this house didn't upgrade a single thing.

I will try to climb the mountain later today, got to play chauffeur at the moment.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-06-2013, 10:00 AM
(06-06-2013 09:39 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 09:19 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Once you've done that, will the door raise again with the motor? Probably yes and I'll answer with that assumption...

yes.

might be tough getting the make and model ....I'm only 5'3" and the mountain of storage on all sides of it is about 8' tall. Unsure It's a Genie. basic model. I'm certain the builder of this house didn't upgrade a single thing.

I will try to climb the mountain later today, got to play chauffeur at the moment.

Well if there's that much stuff in the garage... just don't open the door and all will be right with the world. Big Grin

But seriously, I can probably help with the model. And btw... if you plan on repairing it you'll have to be able to get to it easily and safely so let's decide if its worth fixing and plan from there before you wind up getting lost between boxes of... well... shit.

I say shit because it is your shit, not my stuff. My shit is stuff, but your stuff is shit. And keep your shit away from my stuff... - Carlin

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
06-06-2013, 10:16 AM
I love that carlin quote.

Really I hate it when stuff like that happens (I just want shit to work) I do know the cheapy Genie models are like impossible to repair. We tried years ago...

Eventually it'll probably stop going up too...

I gotta say I hate those sensors. We've had issues with those in the past. Once a moth flew onto it..Door went up fine but wouldn't close. Meanwhile moth flew away...when I approached to see if anything was blocking it.

A kid saw it fly back and land on the sensor.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

06-06-2013, 10:17 AM
I searched and searched after a gif that shows a garage door opening and closing fast, making it look like it's laughing demonically. I failed.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
06-06-2013, 10:22 AM
(06-06-2013 10:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I love that carlin quote.

Really I hate it when stuff like that happens (I just want shit to work) I do know the cheapy Genie models are like impossible to repair. We tried years ago...

Eventually it'll probably stop going up too...

I gotta say I hate those sensors. We've had issues with those in the past. Once a moth flew onto it..Door went up fine but wouldn't close. Meanwhile moth flew away...when I approached to see if anything was blocking it.

A kid saw it fly back and land on the sensor.

Some of those sensors can be wired around in a matter of minutes. Others that are data driven can be mounted on the ceiling, in close proximity so as not to be prone to false alarms.

But I didn't advise doing any of that..... because that would compromise the safety of the garage door. Sadcryface