Garbage pick up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Garbage pick up
Today is garbage day so the guy just came with his big ol truck. He has this automatic little arm thingy that he puts the trash can on and the arm pulls it up and tips it into the truck and shakes the garbage out.

A few years ago there used to be two guys in an older garbage truck and they would do all the lifting and shaking the garbage out of the cans themselves. I would watch them chatting and laughing about stuff while they drove around. They had stuck this large stuffed toy horses head above the window and drove around with it there for years. It was funny. Now it's just one guy in a fancy garbage truck with no stuffed horse head on it and he looks kinda lonely.

Anyway, what kind of garbage truck does your local garbage company use? Some of them are super fancy. Also, I wonder how much a garbage truck costs? Not that I want to buy one....I'm just wondering.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2017, 08:43 AM
RE: Garbage pick up
(18-07-2017 08:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Today is garbage day so the guy just came with his big ol truck. He has this automatic little arm thingy that he puts the trash can on and the arm pulls it up and tips it into the truck and shakes the garbage out.

A few years ago there used to be two guys in an older garbage truck and they would do all the lifting and shaking the garbage out of the cans themselves. I would watch them chatting and laughing about stuff while they drove around. They had stuck this large stuffed toy horses head above the window and drove around with it there for years. It was funny. Now it's just one guy in a fancy garbage truck with no stuffed horse head on it and he looks kinda lonely.

Anyway, what kind of garbage truck does your local garbage company use? Some of them are super fancy. Also, I wonder how much a garbage truck costs? Not that I want to buy one....I'm just wondering.

Our trash and recycling trucks have the mechanical arm that picks up the bins and empties them into the back.

This has allowed them to cut down the number of workers. A new garbage truck can go for more the $200,000.00 (USD) and the fancier the more it costs. I'm sure that the average company that buys them doesn't buy one at a time so the cost is probably less.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
18-07-2017, 08:46 AM
(18-07-2017 08:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
He has this automatic little arm thingy

I often wondered what happened to Steve Austin. Nice that he has a fulfilling retirement job.

Consider

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
18-07-2017, 08:47 AM
(18-07-2017 08:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Today is garbage day so the guy just came with his big ol truck. He has this automatic little arm thingy that he puts the trash can on and the arm pulls it up and tips it into the truck and shakes the garbage out.

We have a 2 yard dumpster - as I split it with my sisters and dad..

I've had the same driver for years and he''s a friendly guy I've chatted with several times.. I even toss him a pint of maplle syrup when season is over..

He got a new truck last year and if memory serves it was just under $250000...

Computerized like you wouldn't believe... He even has internet on board...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
18-07-2017, 08:58 AM
We have the "super fancy" ones here. I wish the recycle trucks had bigger recycle bins though. I have the largest one available, which isn't really that big.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Random thread!

Our local council still use the back loading ones, that smush all the rubbish to the back. It has the one guy driving it and 2-3 men getting all the bins lined up and ready to empty/taken back. not sure if it's done in other countries we also have a separate bin man for recyclables and another one for Garden waste Smile

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
18-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Yeah, we have the trucks with the fancy arms. And they often toss my recycling everywhere. Drives me up the wall having to pick up after them. Angry

Other than that- they come every Friday to pick up the trash and I don't know much more about them or if they are lonely.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
18-07-2017, 09:19 AM

The people who use to haul your garbage way, laughing and talking are still laughing and talking. It's just now, they're doing it as they sort recyclables on the line. Smile
18-07-2017, 09:20 AM
(18-07-2017 08:58 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Random thread!

Our local council still use the back loading ones, that smush all the rubbish to the back. It has the one guy driving it and 2-3 men getting all the bins lined up and ready to empty/taken back. not sure if it's done in other countries we also have a separate bin man for recyclables and another one for Garden waste Smile

That's what I got. They fine us now if we put plastic bags in the recycling bins but they don't fine us if we don't recycle. Guess what I don't do. I've never even seen these fancy machines you're talking about and it's not like I live in bumfuck Idaho, I'm 5 miles from the DC line for chrissakes. I'm guessing you have to have special fancy trashcans which fit the machine?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-07-2017, 09:21 AM
[Image: trash-truck-garbage-collection-fail.gif]

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 10 users Like OakTree500's post