Garbage pick up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 09:30 AM
RE: Garbage pick up
This is so thrilling. Smile

I am so hot and sweaty and tired and not thinking on full throttle, so I think this is a great discussion! Smile

We have a 4 yarder on the farm, shared between the four households and it gets picked up the last friday of every month. I rarely see the person or the truck and just hear the dogs bark and the sound of the beat, beat to get all the bags and stuff out and then the clanking down of the empty bin. Lone driver, so he is probably happily listening to his favorite radio station.

We take our recyclables into the county transfer station's recyclable area without additional cost, which is good because they would really fill up the garbage bin is we just tossed them in. We make a run whenever they get to overflowing.

In this county and I have read in most counties, the recycling part of dealing with garbage never gets out of the red and often they cannot get rid of plastics.

I would prefer that the stuff we buy not come packaged in so much trash, but the plastic...good grief!

Now that Amazon and others are shipping everything and anything, we have all this shipping material and cardboard boxes to deal with...well some of the younguns who order everything and anything do.

Didn't mean to get so involved. LOL

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
18-07-2017, 09:31 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 09:34 AM by Rockblossom.)
I live in the country - as in "rural, unincorporated" on the tax rolls, so we have no municipal trash collection. We do have a private, family-owned company that picks up once a week. They own at least one old/reconditioned garbage truck, a couple of old moving vans with the open back end, and at least one flatbed truck with the stakes on the side and back. Which truck we get each week is anyone's guess. (My guess is that the driver who gets to work first gets his pick of truck, and maybe route. Or maybe they flip for it.) It is usually one driver, who stops, gets out, empties the bins onto whatever he is driving that day, and drives to his next stop. If he is lucky and they are training someone new, he may get to drive and let the new guy empty the bins. I now get a nice computer printed bill each month. Up until a few months ago, it was a hand-printed bill on a postcard. I still have to mail a check each month, as on-line bill paying is still beyond their ability to deal. But they are great people, are always out regardless of weather and icy roads, and they are cheap. What more could I ask for? Big Grin

Anything I can add to a compost bin or use directly in the garden (newspaper and cardboard) I keep, and recyclables are sorted and taken to the county recycling center whenever I'm going to be in the area.
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
18-07-2017, 09:32 AM
(18-07-2017 09:20 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 08:58 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Random thread!

Our local council still use the back loading ones, that smush all the rubbish to the back. It has the one guy driving it and 2-3 men getting all the bins lined up and ready to empty/taken back. not sure if it's done in other countries we also have a separate bin man for recyclables and another one for Garden waste Smile

That's what I got. They fine us now if we put plastic bags in the recycling bins but they don't fine us if we don't recycle. Guess what I don't do. I've never even seen these fancy machines you're talking about and it's not like I live in bumfuck Idaho, I'm 5 miles from the DC line for chrissakes. I'm guessing you have to have special fancy trashcans which fit the machine?
We have people come and inspect the bins to make sure you're sorting it properly. Last year we went out to get our bin, and 99% of the bins had this Police style tape all over it saying "awaiting inspection". They refuse to take our bin if the lid is slightly open, as it means there is "too much stuff" in it lol.

Not so much the garbage men, but the people in my area are terrible for stealing somebody else's bin and/or putting out their bins on the wrong day. Some wait till the truck comes, grab a random bin, and THEN leave their stinky garbage bin down the bottom....which stays there for another week until the bin men come again lol.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
18-07-2017, 09:39 AM
(18-07-2017 09:30 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  Now that Amazon and others are shipping everything and anything, we have all this shipping material and cardboard boxes to deal with...well some of the younguns who order everything and anything do.

I have discovered the perfect use for all that cardboard. I grow food in it. 'Course you live on a farm so it won't be so impressive to you but this is the only type of gardening I've had any luck with. Smile

Come to think of it, you live on a farm. You probably already just compost it. The plastic packaging just pisses me off. I need to have a boxcutter with me just to get it open.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-07-2017, 09:46 AM
(18-07-2017 09:21 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  [Image: trash-truck-garbage-collection-fail.gif]

Laugh out load Yeah, our waste is hauled by trucks like that. We have that same type of barrel. But our guys empty the truck before it gets to overflowing.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
18-07-2017, 10:22 AM
(18-07-2017 09:21 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  [Image: trash-truck-garbage-collection-fail.gif]

To give credit where credit is due - they DID pick it up......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Here we have the fancy trucks with mechanical arms. Pet peeve: when they put the bins back down, the lids are always open. And it always seems to rain on garbage day (which happens to be today). So I come home from work to find my bins with an inch or two of water in the bottom. Second pet peeve: there are separate bins for garbage and recycling, and separate trucks that pick them up. So to me, it makes sense to put all the recycling bins in one row and all the garbage bins in another row (especially in an apartment complex such as I live in), and I have seen it done that way in other neighborhoods. No such luck on my street -- everyone insists on putting their two bins next to each other, so you end up with alternating garbage and recycling bins going down the block. I tried rearranging them once, and when I came back out 5 minutes later, someone else had put them back the way they were originally. OK -- if you all insist on being dumb asses, I won't stand in the way.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
18-07-2017, 10:50 AM
I always wonder how those automatic arms align up so perfectly with the garbage bin. The guy doesn't even get out of the truck to make any adjustments. Does it have a camera or laser system? How does it work? Enquiring garbage minds want to know. Consider

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-07-2017, 11:07 AM
(18-07-2017 10:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I always wonder how those automatic arms align up so perfectly with the garbage bin. The guy doesn't even get out of the truck to make any adjustments. Does it have a camera or laser system? How does it work? Enquiring garbage minds want to know. Consider

On our shire's trucks, each of its two wheelie bin clamping arms oscillate slightly from side to side as they move away from the truck chassis towards the bin, in order to pick it up. That creates a moving, wider gap than the bin, and then the arms clamp on when they're fully extended. That way, the driver doesn't have to align the lifting arm precisely, and it also allows for bins that are slightly out of square with the kerb.

There's also a video camera behind the arms, and one on top of the truck facing the opening.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
18-07-2017, 11:10 AM
(18-07-2017 08:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Today is garbage day so the guy just came with his big ol truck. He has this automatic little arm thingy that he puts the trash can on and the arm pulls it up and tips it into the truck and shakes the garbage out.

A few years ago there used to be two guys in an older garbage truck and they would do all the lifting and shaking the garbage out of the cans themselves. I would watch them chatting and laughing about stuff while they drove around. They had stuck this large stuffed toy horses head above the window and drove around with it there for years. It was funny. Now it's just one guy in a fancy garbage truck with no stuffed horse head on it and he looks kinda lonely.

Anyway, what kind of garbage truck does your local garbage company use? Some of them are super fancy. Also, I wonder how much a garbage truck costs? Not that I want to buy one....I'm just wondering.

> There is no municipal trash pickup here. Chester, MA is a small, rural hilltown. You can have your trash picked up weekly by a private contractor, but it's expensive. Most residents take their trash and recyclables to the local Transfer Station.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post