Garbage pick up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 12:32 PM
RE: Garbage pick up
Come to think of it, you live on a farm. You probably already just compost it. The plastic packaging just pisses me off. I need to have a boxcutter with me just to get it open.
[/quote]

That's a good idea. Not that I can view the video, but it sounds like a good idea.

We don't compost cardboard.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2017, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 12:48 PM by dancefortwo.)
Back in the 80s I used to visit a friend who lived in a swank neighborhood and the garbage cans were sunken down into the sidewalk, level with the ground, so on garbage day they didn't have any unsightly garbage cans sitting on the street. I've never seen this anywhere else. The poor garbage guy had to bend down to ground level and hoist it up over his head. He must have had terrible back problems.

Has anyone else seen this? I tried to find a photo online but couldn't.

Edit: I finally found a photo.

[Image: Installed_Cambercan_large.JPG?5295478811763361874]

and here's the webpage on the company...

https://agdsupply.com/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Back when I was a kid, we'd put out the garbage in metal cans. On collection day they'd have 4 guys on the truck. Three would walk with huge cans with wheels on the bottom, pick up trash and dump it into the huge can. Our street was short, so two of guys would collect from the next streets, then they'd lift those huge cans and hoist them into the truck.

Then they'd continue on...

We have the kind with arms too, I don't know if they're better...it seems to take a lot longer...but there's only two guys on the truck...

Guys today don't know how easy they have it.

As to cost I have no clue. Maybe call the garbage company and ask them?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-07-2017, 01:20 PM
(18-07-2017 12:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Back in the 80s I used to visit a friend who lived in a swank neighborhood and the garbage cans were sunken down into the sidewalk, level with the ground, so on garbage day they didn't have any unsightly garbage cans sitting on the street. I've never seen this anywhere else. The poor garbage guy had to bend down to ground level and hoist it up over his head. He must have had terrible back problems.

Has anyone else seen this? I tried to find a photo online but couldn't.

Edit: I finally found a photo.

[Image: Installed_Cambercan_large.JPG?5295478811763361874]

and here's the webpage on the company...

https://agdsupply.com/

Well, that would keep those freaking teens from spending the evening before trash pickup driving around trying to hit trashcans without ending up in the ditch themselves...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-07-2017, 01:32 PM
When I was a kid they had 3 guys on a truck, one drove while the other two stood on little platforms at the back of the truck.
As they drove down the street the guys on the back would each grab the cans for their side of the street.
They also had stuffed animals and dolls heads hanging on the back of the truck like souvenirs.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
18-07-2017, 02:11 PM
(18-07-2017 08:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Today is garbage day so the guy just came with his big ol truck. He has this automatic little arm thingy that he puts the trash can on and the arm pulls it up and tips it into the truck and shakes the garbage out.

A few years ago there used to be two guys in an older garbage truck and they would do all the lifting and shaking the garbage out of the cans themselves. I would watch them chatting and laughing about stuff while they drove around. They had stuck this large stuffed toy horses head above the window and drove around with it there for years. It was funny. Now it's just one guy in a fancy garbage truck with no stuffed horse head on it and he looks kinda lonely.

Anyway, what kind of garbage truck does your local garbage company use? Some of them are super fancy. Also, I wonder how much a garbage truck costs? Not that I want to buy one....I'm just wondering.
When I first moved out here the garbage man used to have this huge can on wheels, that he would push up to the house, empty your can into it, and then wheel in back to the truck and toss it in. You didn't even have to put your can on the street -- they came and got it. Having come from from the east coast, this boggled me a bit.

Good times are over, though. Several years ago they "upgraded" to the truck with the magic arm, and we all got new square cans that fit the arms (we used to have to supply our own, round cans). Nothing but trouble, since.

If you pack garbage too tightly into a square can, when the arm flips it over, only the loose stuff on top falls out, leaving you with a half-full garbage can after it's supposedly been emptied. About the 4th time this happened I called the garbage service and they told me that I should "take a big stick, and stir your garbage, so it falls out easier."

I suggested that the garbage man should be doing this, and was told, "they're not allowed to touch garbage". Blink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
18-07-2017, 02:22 PM
(18-07-2017 12:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Guys today don't know how easy they have it.
That's for sure.

Quote:As to cost I have no clue. Maybe call the garbage company and ask them?
The other thing that boggled me when I moved to Oregon was having to pay a private company for garbage pickup. Where I grew up, we had municipal and county garbage services, that was one of the things our property taxes paid for. No extra out-of-pocket for garbage removal.

Had been in Oregon a week or so; bought a sandwich in a convenience store, and went to throw the wrapper in the store's dumpster outside -- and found it chained and padlocked. I had never seen such a thing before. "Wow", I thought; "crime must be really bad here if they even have to lock their garbage up!"

Second thought: "Hmm... I wonder if they have bears wandering through town?"

Turns out everyone was paying a private co. for pickup, and they didn't want neighborhood freeloaders putting trash in their bin, instead of paying for their own pickup. I've been out here a long time, but I still think this is a little weird.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
18-07-2017, 03:28 PM
(18-07-2017 02:22 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 12:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Guys today don't know how easy they have it.
That's for sure.

The other thing that boggled me when I moved to Oregon was having to pay a private company for garbage pickup. Where I grew up, we had municipal and county garbage services, that was one of the things our property taxes paid for. No extra out-of-pocket for garbage removal.

Had been in Oregon a week or so; bought a sandwich in a convenience store, and went to throw the wrapper in the store's dumpster outside -- and found it chained and padlocked. I had never seen such a thing before. "Wow", I thought; "crime must be really bad here if they even have to lock their garbage up!"

Turns out everyone was paying a private co. for pickup, and they didn't want neighborhood freeloaders putting trash in their bin, instead of paying for their own pickup. I've been out here a long time, but I still think this is a little weird.

When I lived in the SF Bay Area you not only had to pay for garbage pick up but it was required.

Here at least in my area you can opt out completely or just have recycling stuff put out at no charge.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-07-2017, 03:37 PM
.... Garbage truck?

.... I just go out to the shed where we keep our garbage (the shit that won't bio degrade), grab all the bags throw em in the back of my truck and drive them to the dump..... I mean either I do it or my landlord does it, but I hate to make him do it he's like 90 years old

Spoiled city folk and your fancy ass garbage service..... Why I walk my garbage to my truck up hill both ways (kidding)

edit^ OH and it's 20 bucks a truck load so we try to fill that shed up before taking it....

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
18-07-2017, 03:42 PM
(18-07-2017 02:22 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
That's for sure.

.... I wanna move back to the pacific northwest. Can I maybe sleep on your couch till I get a job and an apartment?

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post