Garbage pick up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 03:47 PM
RE: Garbage pick up
(18-07-2017 12:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Back in the 80s I used to visit a friend who lived in a swank neighborhood and the garbage cans were sunken down into the sidewalk, level with the ground, so on garbage day they didn't have any unsightly garbage cans sitting on the street. I've never seen this anywhere else. The poor garbage guy had to bend down to ground level and hoist it up over his head. He must have had terrible back problems.

Has anyone else seen this? I tried to find a photo online but couldn't.

Edit: I finally found a photo.

[Image: Installed_Cambercan_large.JPG?5295478811763361874]

and here's the webpage on the company...

https://agdsupply.com/

Yup, our townhouse had one of these. Seems like a great idea unless you’re the one that has to lift the garbage out.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2017, 03:48 PM
(18-07-2017 09:30 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  This is so thrilling. Smile

I am so hot and sweaty and tired and not thinking on full throttle, so I think this is a great discussion! Smile

We have a 4 yarder on the farm, shared between the four households and it gets picked up the last friday of every month. I rarely see the person or the truck and just hear the dogs bark and the sound of the beat, beat to get all the bags and stuff out and then the clanking down of the empty bin. Lone driver, so he is probably happily listening to his favorite radio station.

We take our recyclables into the county transfer station's recyclable area without additional cost, which is good because they would really fill up the garbage bin is we just tossed them in. We make a run whenever they get to overflowing.

In this county and I have read in most counties, the recycling part of dealing with garbage never gets out of the red and often they cannot get rid of plastics.

I would prefer that the stuff we buy not come packaged in so much trash, but the plastic...good grief!

Now that Amazon and others are shipping everything and anything, we have all this shipping material and cardboard boxes to deal with...well some of the younguns who order everything and anything do.

Didn't mean to get so involved. LOL

I think it's fun and refreshing you gettin all excited about this topic Smile

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
18-07-2017, 03:52 PM
(18-07-2017 03:42 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 02:22 PM)Dr H Wrote:  That's for sure.

The other thing that boggled me when I moved to Oregon was having to pay a private company for garbage pickup. Where I grew up, we had municipal and county garbage services, that was one of the things our property taxes paid for. No extra out-of-pocket for garbage removal.

Had been in Oregon a week or so; bought a sandwich in a convenience store, and went to throw the wrapper in the store's dumpster outside -- and found it chained and padlocked. I had never seen such a thing before. "Wow", I thought; "crime must be really bad here if they even have to lock their garbage up!"

Second thought: "Hmm... I wonder if they have bears wandering through town?"

Turns out everyone was paying a private co. for pickup, and they didn't want neighborhood freeloaders putting trash in their bin, instead of paying for their own pickup. I've been out here a long time, but I still think this is a little weird.

.... I wanna move back to the pacific northwest. Can I maybe sleep on your couch till I get a job and an apartment?

No, you can't..but you can take my place after I move out of this horrible backward place. I hate living here.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-07-2017, 04:11 PM
The town where I live uses the trucks with the mechanical arms. Garbage and recycling are picked up on the same day. To keep them from tearing up our fence, we have to pull one can out between the sidewalk and the street and pull the other one out from the fence.

What I don't understand is how many passes it takes them to pick the stuff up. They are up and down the alley all day on Wednesdays. I understand they have to go one way and then the other to get the stuff on each side but they make many more passes than that.

Whatever they are saving in labor costs they are spending on fuel.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
19-07-2017, 02:26 PM
(18-07-2017 03:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  When I lived in the SF Bay Area you not only had to pay for garbage pick up but it was required.
Oh, it's required here, too.

Well OK, not exactly. You are required to keep your property free of garbage build-up. You can either pay a private service for pick-up, or you can take it to the dump yourself and pay there (which costs more). If you get caught with more than two weeks accumulation (in the City's judgment), the fine is considerable.

Quote:Here at least in my area you can opt out completely or just have recycling stuff put out at no charge.
It's funny. When I left NY, they were only just rediscovering deposit-bottles, and recycling was something that was mostly done by aging hippies, at their own expense and effort.

Got to Oregon and not only were bottle deposits well-established, they even had deposits on cans, which was new to me. Every food store took back deposit containers, and every garbage service offered recycling of various kinds. Most even gave you a discount on your garbage bill if you recycled. All good stuff.

Except... over the past 5 years things seem to have reversed.

My bro' in NY, who when I lived with him never saved a bottle or can in his life, all of a sudden has a half-dozen separate color-coded bins for glass, steel, paper, etc., which he tends religiously. The city picks up all this stuff weekly and separately and recycles it, and they even have a monthly special pickup for special "hazardous" waste like dead CFLs and old paint cans.

Meanwhile, Oregon recently passed a law that allows stores to refuse to accept deposit containers, and we now have to take them to a central recycling center that's a 24 mile round trip for me, and only open when I'm at work.
In my particular corner, recycle pickup -- which you now pay extra for -- has been reduced to once every other week when the moon is full, and you have to be careful not to put out the wrong stuff in the wrong week -- glass on newspaper day, for example -- or they either won't take it, or the regular garbage pick-up takes it as trash and chucks it in the dump.

So we have the odd situation where a state that was one of the filthiest in the country (think "Love Canal") dedicating itself to recycling on a level that even my old paisley-starshine-vegan friends never achieved, on the one hand -- while on the other, a state that was once the national leader in reducing waste and recycling has made it such a PITA to do so that a lot of people have gone back to just chucking everything -- including deposit containers -- in the garbage, and it ends up in a landfill.

The explanation, of course, is politics. But even so . . . Huh

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
19-07-2017, 02:29 PM
(18-07-2017 03:42 PM)JesseB Wrote:  .... I wanna move back to the pacific northwest. Can I maybe sleep on your couch till I get a job and an apartment?

LOL. It's been done.

I should warn you that even a bedroom in a quad is currently going for $800/month and up, and there are no jobs.

Not that that's even stopped anybody from moving here. Wink

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
19-07-2017, 02:33 PM
(18-07-2017 03:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, you can't..but you can take my place after I move out of this horrible backward place. I hate living here.

Heh. the PNW is like Lambic beer or Laphroaig whisky -- you either love it, or you hate it; no waffling. Wink

--
Dr H

19-07-2017, 02:33 PM
(19-07-2017 02:26 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 03:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  When I lived in the SF Bay Area you not only had to pay for garbage pick up but it was required.
Oh, it's required here, too.

Well OK, not exactly. You are required to keep your property free of garbage build-up. You can either pay a private service for pick-up, or you can take it to the dump yourself and pay there (which costs more). If you get caught with more than two weeks accumulation (in the City's judgment), the fine is considerable.

Quote:Here at least in my area you can opt out completely or just have recycling stuff put out at no charge.
It's funny. When I left NY, they were only just rediscovering deposit-bottles, and recycling was something that was mostly done by aging hippies, at their own expense and effort.

Got to Oregon and not only were bottle deposits well-established, they even had deposits on cans, which was new to me. Every food store took back deposit containers, and every garbage service offered recycling of various kinds. Most even gave you a discount on your garbage bill if you recycled. All good stuff.

Except... over the past 5 years things seem to have reversed.

My bro' in NY, who when I lived with him never saved a bottle or can in his life, all of a sudden has a half-dozen separate color-coded bins for glass, steel, paper, etc., which he tends religiously. The city picks up all this stuff weekly and separately and recycles it, and they even have a monthly special pickup for special "hazardous" waste like dead CFLs and old paint cans.

Meanwhile, Oregon recently passed a law that allows stores to refuse to accept deposit containers, and we now have to take them to a central recycling center that's a 24 mile round trip for me, and only open when I'm at work.
In my particular corner, recycle pickup -- which you now pay extra for -- has been reduced to once every other week when the moon is full, and you have to be careful not to put out the wrong stuff in the wrong week -- glass on newspaper day, for example -- or they either won't take it, or the regular garbage pick-up takes it as trash and chucks it in the dump.

So we have the odd situation where a state that was one of the filthiest in the country (think "Love Canal") dedicating itself to recycling on a level that even my old paisley-starshine-vegan friends never achieved, on the one hand -- while on the other, a state that was once the national leader in reducing waste and recycling has made it such a PITA to do so that a lot of people have gone back to just chucking everything -- including deposit containers -- in the garbage, and it ends up in a landfill.

The explanation, of course, is politics. But even so . . . Huh

In Texas I would try to recycle, people would say "Oh yes you can leave it here and we'll recycle it, but we don't give money for that."

In California I save up my cans and bottles and get like 20 bucks back almost every time I go.

In Washington State they didn't give you money back that I can recall, but they did give you recycle bins to use and would pick it up at the curb every week.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
19-07-2017, 02:36 PM
(18-07-2017 03:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 03:42 PM)JesseB Wrote:  .... I wanna move back to the pacific northwest. Can I maybe sleep on your couch till I get a job and an apartment?

No, you can't..but you can take my place after I move out of this horrible backward place. I hate living here.

I miss the rain and forests. I really loved it up there. But I can understand that the rain in particular isn't for most people....

That said if you're planning to rent your place when you go, and I can afford the rent fuck ya I'll rent from ya mom.

Big Grin
19-07-2017, 02:39 PM
(18-07-2017 04:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What I don't understand is how many passes it takes them to pick the stuff up. They are up and down the alley all day on Wednesdays. I understand they have to go one way and then the other to get the stuff on each side but they make many more passes than that.

Whatever they are saving in labor costs they are spending on fuel.
Damn! You too?

I'm not usually home when they pick up, but a couple weeks ago I just happened to be. They want my can out there by 6am -- and it is -- but they didn't empty it until 2pm. Meanwhile, I counted 6 garbage trucks that drove by -- four on my side of the street -- between 10 and when they finally picked up at 2.

For crying out loud, they used to have more efficient routes before they had software to assist them with scheduling, and it was one drunken old fart back at the office doing it by hand.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post