Garbage pick up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2017, 02:51 PM
RE: Garbage pick up
(19-07-2017 02:39 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 04:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What I don't understand is how many passes it takes them to pick the stuff up. They are up and down the alley all day on Wednesdays. I understand they have to go one way and then the other to get the stuff on each side but they make many more passes than that.

Whatever they are saving in labor costs they are spending on fuel.
Damn! You too?

I'm not usually home when they pick up, but a couple weeks ago I just happened to be. They want my can out there by 6am -- and it is -- but they didn't empty it until 2pm. Meanwhile, I counted 6 garbage trucks that drove by -- four on my side of the street -- between 10 and when they finally picked up at 2.

For crying out loud, they used to have more efficient routes before they had software to assist them with scheduling, and it was one drunken old fart back at the office doing it by hand.

Hey man, don't blame the software. Blame the idiot who's job it is to make those schedules. I mean most likely the software is designed to work better but some dumb fuck is putting the kybosh on that cause they can't use the software correctly.

Most likely. Either that or they purchased some really shitastic software.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2017, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2017 06:25 PM by Vera.)
(18-07-2017 08:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Now it's just one guy in a fancy garbage truck with no stuffed horse head on it and he looks kinda lonely.

Aw. Sadcryface

The loneliness of the long-distance garbage collector, so to speak...

Now all I need is some photoshopping wizard to put a garbage truck in the background Rolleyes

[Image: the-loneliness-of-the-long-distance-runn...y-1962.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2017, 03:23 PM
(19-07-2017 02:36 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 03:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, you can't..but you can take my place after I move out of this horrible backward place. I hate living here.

I miss the rain and forests. I really loved it up there. But I can understand that the rain in particular isn't for most people....

That said if you're planning to rent your place when you go, and I can afford the rent fuck ya I'll rent from ya mom.

Somewhere I read that people are moving to the Pacific Northwest to get away from the excessive heat in other areas of the US. Global warming is supposed to make the Northwest a very desirable place to live. The summers are glorious here, the best weather in the country and it's funny because the native Oregonians complain when it hits 87 degrees. "It's just TOO HOT!" Bahahaha. I used to live in Fresno California and the summers were consistently around 100-105 most of the time. When it hit 87 that was a super cool day.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-07-2017, 05:15 PM
(18-07-2017 12:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Back in the 80s I used to visit a friend who lived in a swank neighborhood and the garbage cans were sunken down into the sidewalk, level with the ground, so on garbage day they didn't have any unsightly garbage cans sitting on the street. I've never seen this anywhere else. The poor garbage guy had to bend down to ground level and hoist it up over his head. He must have had terrible back problems...

[Image: Installed_Cambercan_large.JPG?5295478811763361874]

Errr... I may be missing something here, but wouldn't these things be a tripping hazard? And how do you stop everybody else from offloading all their own crap into these public bins? Huh

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
19-07-2017, 06:20 PM
(19-07-2017 02:36 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I miss the rain and forests. I really loved it up there. But I can understand that the rain in particular isn't for most people....

After I'd been in Oregon for most of a year, a roommate from California -- who was fleeing the precipitation -- asked me how I could stand the constant rain.

I told her that I came here from upstate New York, where we get just about the same amount of annual precipitation, except most of ours came down as snow, for 6 months of the year. "So," I said, "I'm used to the cloud cover, and you don't have to shovel rain. This is paradise." Smile

And what a lot of people -- especially students -- never find out, is that it almost never rains from mid-June to late-September in the western valley. Summers are absolutely beautiful here.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
19-07-2017, 06:27 PM
(19-07-2017 03:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 08:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Now it's just one guy in a fancy garbage truck with no stuffed horse head on it and he looks kinda lonely.

Aw. Sadcryface

<sings>
I am a garbageman for the county,
And I drive the main road
Searching in the sun,
For another steaming load.
I see you slogging through the mire . . .
</sings>

(with apologies to Jimmy Webb)

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
19-07-2017, 06:29 PM
(19-07-2017 03:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Somewhere I read that people are moving to the Pacific Northwest to get away from the excessive heat in other areas of the US. Global warming is supposed to make the Northwest a very desirable place to live. The summers are glorious here, the best weather in the country and it's funny because the native Oregonians complain when it hits 87 degrees. "It's just TOO HOT!" Bahahaha. I used to live in Fresno California and the summers were consistently around 100-105 most of the time. When it hit 87 that was a super cool day.

We've hit 110 here. But usually the 100+ weather only lasts about a week each summer, either early July, or late August.

I'm thinking it's going to be late August, this year . . .

--
Dr H

19-07-2017, 06:34 PM
(19-07-2017 06:27 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 03:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  Aw. Sadcryface

<sings>
I am a garbageman for the county,
And I drive the main road
Searching in the sun,
For another steaming load.
I see you slogging through the mire . . .
</sings>

(with apologies to Jimmy Webb)

Hahaha, only reason I recognised it, is this:

I *love* that show Big Grin

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2017, 06:34 PM
(18-07-2017 08:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Also, I wonder how much a garbage truck costs? Not that I want to buy one....I'm just wondering.

We just paid $250K each for a couple of new front load Peterbilts, and another $50K for a used 2014 roll off truck with a little less than 300K miles on it.

Oh, and at home two guys in a dually hauling a big trailer pick up our garbage twice a week.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
19-07-2017, 06:44 PM
(18-07-2017 01:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  When I was a kid they had 3 guys on a truck, one drove while the other two stood on little platforms at the back of the truck.
As they drove down the street the guys on the back would each grab the cans for their side of the street.

I spent the summer between my sophomore junior years in high school on the back of one of those trucks. It was good money for a 16 year-old.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]