Gaslighting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2017, 01:01 AM
RE: Gaslighting
(04-07-2017 12:27 AM)Oaken Wrote:  I wonder if gaslighting is like going up to a person with a sunburn and then slapping their red, raw back repeatedly and then when they finally get furious enough to hit back you point them out to everyone else and say SEE! SEE! I told you this person has emotional problems!

That's not gaslighting. That's asking to be shot.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
04-07-2017, 03:13 AM
Can't check.
Getting a privacy warning.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
04-07-2017, 03:20 AM
Same problem, can't check either (ssl certificate problem apparently), my browser won't display the site.
04-07-2017, 05:46 AM
I used to gaslight all the time, till that one night after I ate Mexican food for lunch, blew out the seat of my skivvies and burned the hair off my ass.....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-07-2017, 05:52 AM
(04-07-2017 12:27 AM)Oaken Wrote:  I wonder if gaslighting is like going up to a person with a sunburn and then slapping their red, raw back repeatedly and then when they finally get furious enough to hit back you point them out to everyone else and say SEE! SEE! I told you this person has emotional problems!
More common in my experience is to simply ascribe motivations and intentions to you that you don't have. Gaslighting is usually more subtle like that, it only gets more overt in the later stages.

People with Borderline Personality Disorder do a LOT of gaslighting. They seem particularly talented at getting you to question your sanity. Anyone who is either delusional or a convincing liar can do this because you normally assume the reactions of others are genuine.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
04-07-2017, 06:12 AM
We see this with many theist posters all of the time on this forum, here are some examples:

1. You aren't reading that scripture the right way. (You lack comprehension)

2. You were never a true Christian. (Your experience with god wasn't legitimate)

3. Seek and you will find evidence for god. (You're not doing it right)

4. You don't believe, because you just want to sin. (You don't like god's rules, you're a bad person)

5. Presuppositionalist apologetics (You know god exists, despite what you say)

6. Calvinism (You don't believe in god because that's part of god's plan)

7. God spoke to me! (You're not on my spiritual level, god won't speak to you)

8. Satan! RolleyesFacepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
04-07-2017, 07:28 AM
Trump knows he was elected because the Russians conducted a fake news campaign on the web. First thing he does is call legitimate news fake. That's gaslighting.

He knows he is a crook (his business history) and we have crooked Hillary.

If it elicits negative responses from other humans, you attach it to your "enemy".
If it elicits positive responses from other humans, you claim it for yourself.

Reality has nothing to do with it.

Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat. Ad infinitum. Sooner or later, people believe it, they have heard it so often.

That's gaslighting, on a social level as well as a personal one.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-07-2017, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 07:51 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
Months after my father started making threats to us, he said the events were just "minor incidents". He couldn't understand why I wouldn't forgive him. No asshole, you could have become violent and I had no idea what you were going to do because you were undergoing a breakdown. Those weren't "minor incidents".

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
07-07-2017, 11:01 AM
I've dated a few narcissists who skillfully used this tactic and if you don't know anything about it, you'll play right into their hands. Interesting thread topic!

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
14-08-2017, 03:41 PM
(01-02-2017 09:17 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 08:07 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  It can still be...

Maybe wait to torch it until we've exhausted the value from the subject itself? Tongue

My mother-in-law has been doing this to her kids for decades. Just yesterday my wife discovered even more things that my MIL had done/said that my wife knew nothing about. It's fucking insidious, and it can affect people for many years after-the-fact.

You can be a victim of gaslighting and be completely unaware. But it will make you question your sanity in the process. It will make you question your memory, and yourself. And make you feel less able to trust your own memories- to a fault.

There is a place on Reddit called /r/justnomil that helps people in her situation. Lot's of hugs to you both!

"What sort of God would promise us a land like this?" - Zensunni lament
[+] 1 user Likes Yarnie2015's post