Gasping for Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2017, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2017 01:16 AM by Oaken.)
Gasping for Prayer
OK, so the Atheism thing is still new to me, even though it feels more logical and nice fitting everyday. Sigh, with that said, I admit that not having someone/something to pray to had reached the top of the bucket today. I spent a lot of time growing up praying to that non-existent god and I kinda missed the feeling. And it had been nagging me for weeks. So, since I have been studying about the brain and how parts of our brain and chemicals can mimic what we think are experiences with god, I decided to do a test and pray.

Tonight I got on my knees and prayed.

1) I prayed to all the people I thought were sexy growing up and lamented not having sex with. I apologized for not being more sexually bold when I was younger.

2) I prayed to myself and thanked myself for all the courageous things I had done in my life. I apologized for being a Christian for so long and told myself I wish I had been out being creative, adventurous and more at ease being a sexual human. I gave myself permission to be free. To explore life, love and happiness without being chained to religion.

3) I prayed to Jupiter and recognized how big and scary and wondrous it is. And thanked it for protecting us from meteors.

4) I thanked Saturn for the time I first found it with my telescope as a kid.

5) I thanked the universe for being so big. And I recognized that I was but a speck in it, but an appreciative speck.

Well, after I ended my prayer I got up from my knees and felt the SAME EXACT cocktail of chemicals in my body that I felt when I had been praying to the Christian god. I felt relaxed, slightly drunk even. That feeling of feeling slightly drunk continued to grow for the next half hour. My head still feels slightly intoxicated...which is exactly how I felt after I prayed as a Christian. Interesting that I can continue to feel "god" even though I prayed to lost potential sex partners, and listened to Iron Maiden and Ghost after my prayer.

Sad kinda to realize that "touch of god" in me that made me drunk-ish after praying was most likely just my brain and chemicals effecting me. It explains why despite SO FEELING HIM for years that none of the prophecies came true, none of the promises, and none of the blessings.

(This was a test, and I am an Atheist, not a Pantheist, so, please don't read anything more into my prayer to planets than just being a test to pray to anything but the Christian god and see how it affected how I felt.)

All those years I thought I was having a real relationship. And now I find out that I was (quite literally) addicted to the chemical rush.

Informed by science. Inspired by art. Motivated by compassion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Oaken's post
20-08-2017, 01:27 AM
RE: Gasping for Prayer
It is almost an hour later and I feel GREAT! Thank you failed sex partners for hearing my prayer. Thank you!

20-08-2017, 03:07 AM
(20-08-2017 01:27 AM)Oaken Wrote:  It is almost an hour later and I feel GREAT! Thank you failed sex partners for hearing my prayer. Thank you!

> I worship Liv Tyler and feel pretty good about it. She's my muse. Smile
Find all posts by this user
20-08-2017, 03:22 AM
(20-08-2017 03:07 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(20-08-2017 01:27 AM)Oaken Wrote:  It is almost an hour later and I feel GREAT! Thank you failed sex partners for hearing my prayer. Thank you!

> I worship Liv Tyler and feel pretty good about it. She's my muse. Smile

[Image: wShqFcDhw59Qm8l7sTylfOfwkmK.jpg]

Your prayers are answered.

[+] 3 users Like Oaken's post
20-08-2017, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2017 09:31 AM by Dom.)
It's the release of endorphins in your brain. Praying, chanting, capsaicin(in hot peppers), chocolate, jogging, any strong exercise, yoga, laughing, crying, meditation, ultra violet light and many other things stimulate the release of endorphins, your body's own manufactured opium.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
20-08-2017, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2017 11:34 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(20-08-2017 09:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  It's the release of endorphins in your brain. Praying, chanting, capsaicin (in hot peppers), chocolate, jogging, any strong exercise, yoga, laughing, crying, meditation, ultra violet light and many other things stimulate the release of endorphins, your body's own manufactured opium.

In other words, one doesn't need to commit oneself to uncertainties with prayer to feel good.

Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post