Gastric band issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2016, 05:42 AM
Gastric band issues
My wife had a gatric band inserted a few years ago and lost a lot of weight.

About seven months ago she found she had to have the band adjusted to allow her to eat but that this didn't work and she still couldn't eat. She resorted to getting her "nutrition" by having a bit of Vodka.

After six months she couldn't eat at all, was drinking daily and acting strangely so my son and I locked her in her bedroom and she tried then to jump off the roof of the lower floor. We had to drag her back and I then managed to dope her with some pharmaceutical grade medication which I had in the house. This then put her into a medically induced coma and I got her to hospital where they put her under so she was "out" for five days. When she came around we flew to Brussels for emergency surgery to have the band removed, only to find out that 1, the woman in the next bed had the same problem with the band not allowing her to eat and 2, 40% of people who have gastric weight loss surgery become alcoholics.

We are still recovering from this ordeal and she is now on Seroquel which was recommended by a neurologist.

I just thought I would share that with you lot, just so you know I have been under a huge strain for quite a while, which sometimes makes me post what might seem to be wacky ideas. I sometimes think that I do it as a diversion when the pain of what I am going through is so great that it is better to think about being called a moron than to think about my wife's condition.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2016, 06:32 AM
RE: Gastric band issues
(21-07-2016 05:42 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  ...
I just thought I would share that with you lot, just so you know I have been under a huge strain for quite a while, which sometimes makes me post what might seem to be wacky ideas. I sometimes think that I do it as a diversion when the pain of what I am going through is so great that it is better to think about being called a moron than to think about my wife's condition.

Thanks for sharing.

Different people have different ways of dealing with the shit life throws at them.

I tend to internalise; others lash out. Allowance can be made when one is aware of what's going on.

Next time we have a visiting theist who brings forth their wacky ideas, can we have your permission to ask them if they are having "gastric band issues"?

I can see it becoming a forum catch phrase.

Meanwhile, our pharma expert is Girlyman (I think he's tried everything) and docsceptic and Mark Fulton are actual doctors if you want professional advice.

I hope she recovers soon.

Hug

21-07-2016, 06:49 AM
So sorry to hear this happened to you and your wife. I had no idea this could happen, I am glad you got it turned around.

Don't worry about how you come across here. Shit happens. Hug

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-07-2016, 07:46 AM
*hugs*

I had no idea this could happen either. I hope all gets sorted out for you and your wife. Sending good thoughts your way.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
21-07-2016, 07:48 AM
(21-07-2016 05:42 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  [...] I just thought I would share that with you lot, just so you know I have been under a huge strain for quite a while, which sometimes makes me post what might seem to be wacky ideas. I sometimes think that I do it as a diversion when the pain of what I am going through is so great that it is better to think about being called a moron than to think about my wife's condition.

I appreciate you sharing your story here—despite the dire scenario. My partner is overweight, but has rejected a lap-band for exactly the negative side-effects your wife has struggled through. I'm glad she's recovering and has apparently suffered no longer-term disabling consequences, and kudos to you too for being so supportive and helping her through this safely.

And as far as the "wacky" ideas or insults go, please remember that we—all of us—can be quite different people in real life to the persona we choose to portray on blogs and forums. Anonymity undoubtedly changes the rules of debate, and often not for the best.

Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
21-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks all. My wife had a stroke about 20 years ago and suffers from left side problems and speech impairment as well so it's difficult much of the time. She has deep seated social anxiety so we had become virtual recluses. I decided to retire and move out here to where the sun shines and as we drove through Istambul, the Taxim Squre riots were taking place. It's only got worse since then.

I remember the story of a Canadian who moved to the Falklands to get out from under a possible nuclear exchange between the US and USSR only to get caught up in the Falklands war. I feel that trouble follows me. I want to live in Europe, so the Brits decide I can't because my passport will no longer give me a right of residence in Europe after Brexit. No matter what currency I invest in, since I don't live in a country with its own currency, the currency I choose tumbles. I've lost thousands over the past few years.

I had some success because I wrote a paper about my wife's condition and treatment, submitted it to doctors at the University of Paris', Rene Descartes Medical School, and have been invited to a conference to present the paper along with speakers from all over the place. I've got to present this in French... I am used to public speaking as I spoke to public audiences as part of my job every day for decades so i am sort of looking forward to a romantic getaway in September. The new medication has helped and we are hoping it will allow her to get back to a "sort of" normal, for someone with permanent brain damage. There's no real answer to this, I suppose.
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
21-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. Looks like it's turning around, so that's a good thing. I'll have to talk to my brother in law who had a surgery like that, I think a lap band.
21-07-2016, 01:48 PM
First, did you just say you doped your drunk wife up to the point where she needed a medically induced coma?

Second I did not know that about gastric bypass surgery and alcoholism. But thinking about it it doesn't surprise me. If the body ain't capable of getting enough calories through food it'll resort to higher calorie options like alcohol (7Kcal/gram) or pure fat (9Kcal/gram).

Third. Seroquel been berry berry good to me. There's some orangutan running around here who it helps as well. But it didn't help Eric.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-07-2016, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2016 07:17 PM by Deltabravo.)
(21-07-2016 01:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  First, did you just say you doped your drunk wife up to the point where she needed a medically induced coma?

Second I did not know that about gastric bypass surgery and alcoholism. But thinking about it it doesn't surprise me. If the body ain't capable of getting enough calories through food it'll resort to higher calorie options like alcohol (7Kcal/gram) or pure fat (9Kcal/gram).

Third. Seroquel been berry berry good to me. There's some orangutan running around here who it helps as well. But it didn't help Eric.

No, I gave her a medicine she takes on prescription and she had a long sleep. By the time it wore off, she was in full blown DTs from alcohol withdrawal and was fitting so I took her to hospital. The doctors sedated her because she was fitting and failed to give her anything to detox her properly as they had no experience of it. They then contacted a psychiatrist who explained detox, but by then it was too late and he decided to give her a general anaesthetic. The medicine I gave her was harmless but coming off alcohol causes DTs at the three day mark and that is what happens without benzodiazapines to control DT.

I had to get her into hospital because she needed to have the band removed as she was unable to eat and it was causing her to drink and cause some serious problems for herself and us, which were getting pretty wild, to be frank.

You're right about the band upping the need for energy. People with bands resort to eating large amounts of chocolate because it has so much energy and it desolves and passes through the band. It's like all weight loss methods. You can't trick the brain. It gets around everything and you end up, usually, back where you started.