Gathering perspectives: knowledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Gathering perspectives: knowledge
If you ever find yourself saying "I know", what do you mean?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 04:17 PM
RE: Gathering perspectives: knowledge
(09-04-2014 12:24 PM)living thing Wrote:  If you ever find yourself saying "I know", what do you mean?

Thanks!

When someone is explaining something to me I don't know and I finally get it I generally say, "I see." When I use "I know" it's almost casual in the sense "I know what you mean." ... That's just me.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-04-2014, 06:53 PM
(09-04-2014 04:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  When someone is explaining something to me I don't know and I finally get it I generally say, "I see." When I use "I know" it's almost casual in the sense "I know what you mean." ... That's just me.
I see. I think I may know what you mean :-)

So when you finally "view" in your mind all the pieces in a presumably complex notion, how they fit into one another and/or how they behave in relation to each other, you declare that you see, which makes sense if you're "viewing" it in your mind. But once you've "seen" the notion, and especially if it is a complex one, your brain doesn't waste efforts recreating the picture and pulling all the details from memory if someone else mentions the notion. It simply refers to the fact that it has already "seen" it once, causing you to declare that you know, instead of see, because you know what they're talking about, but you're not actually seeing it. Is that what you are saying?

If it is not, then it turns out I didn't see!

Thanks for the interesting distinction you make, although I wonder... could the verbs "see" and/or "know" have been replaced by "understand"?
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post
09-04-2014, 07:17 PM
(09-04-2014 06:53 PM)living thing Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 04:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  When someone is explaining something to me I don't know and I finally get it I generally say, "I see." When I use "I know" it's almost casual in the sense "I know what you mean." ... That's just me.
I see. I think I may know what you mean :-)

So when you finally "view" in your mind all the pieces in a presumably complex notion, how they fit into one another and/or how they behave in relation to each other, you declare that you see, which makes sense if you're "viewing" it in your mind. But once you've "seen" the notion, and especially if it is a complex one, your brain doesn't waste efforts recreating the picture and pulling all the details from memory if someone else mentions the notion. It simply refers to the fact that it has already "seen" it once, causing you to declare that you know, instead of see, because you know what they're talking about, but you're not actually seeing it. Is that what you are saying?

If it is not, then it turns out I didn't see!

Thanks for the interesting distinction you make, although I wonder... could the verbs "see" and/or "know" have been replaced by "understand"?

Dont' make no nevermind to GirlyMan. GirlyMan don't give a shit.

09-04-2014, 07:18 PM
We know, Girly. Tongue

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
09-04-2014, 07:25 PM
(09-04-2014 07:18 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  We know, Girly. Tongue

Shit's crazy heathen. Neourotransmitters fucking with me and shit.

09-04-2014, 08:06 PM
When I say "I know", it means "I agree".

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
09-04-2014, 08:25 PM
me too, I agree.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Knowing is a slippery notion:

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Robert McCloskey (sometimes attr. to Alan Greenspan).

"... because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things that we know that we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld

About all that can be known for sure is that the more we know the more we realize how much more we don't know.
[+] 5 users Like Airportkid's post
09-04-2014, 11:08 PM
(09-04-2014 12:24 PM)living thing Wrote:  If you ever find yourself saying "I know", what do you mean?

Thanks!

'I understand' or 'I can relate'.