Gator snatches two year old from Disney Lagoon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 09:38 AM
RE: Gator snatches two year old from Disney Lagoon
(17-06-2016 08:23 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 06:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The Burmese pythons are wrecking havoc here, small animals are being lost at an alarming rate

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/us/the....html?_r=0

"This is some snake. At full maturity, a Burmese python routinely reaches lengths of 12 feet or more. Twenty-footers weighing 250 pounds are not unheard-of. The pythons are prodigious breeders, with voracious appetites to match. They are believed to have eaten their way through the Everglades, bringing about startling changes in the ecosystem. Some mammals native to those marshes, like foxes and rabbits, seem to have disappeared, researchers say. Other species — among them raccoons, deer, opossums and bobcats — are close to being wiped out.”

https://www.nps.gov/ever/learn/nature/bu...sintro.htm

But wait! That’s not all!

We now also have (drum roll please)...NILE CROCODILES!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/scienc...orida.html

"The Nile crocodile, which inhabits sub-Saharan Africa, can grow to 21 feet long and weigh one and a half tons. It eats just about anything — including humans.

Now four have been found in Florida...”

I think Floridians are doing their darnest to welcome illegal immigrants to our shores. Yes

Oh, and we also have these...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/co...19402.html

Wtf is wrong with Florida. People get pythons as pets, but they become too big and they just let them go? What the actual fuck?

That's it...Florida is officially off my list.

The iguana will be seen if you're looking for them. They're camouflaged into the trees and grass, and they don't jump on people or anything. The pythons stay in the everglades, so you won't see them either. Venomous snakes generally stay to themselves as well. You won't really see them in developed areas. Ever.

Gators are another thing, but the absolute best way to avoid them is to just not go into fresh bodies of water. You won't see them walking around the city or anything. Staying away from the water will eliminate 99.9% of exposure to gators and water snakes like moccasins.

Oh wait... my brother was chased by a gator once. He worked at a golf course, and his job was to fish the balls out of the pond with this big stick. His net hit a gator, and it ran out of the water, after my brother! He resigned from his job after that incident.

On second thought, stay the fuck away from this place. It's nuts here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
17-06-2016, 09:53 AM
I was fine till you mentioned the peacocks. My neighbors had peacocks, which means everybody has peacocks. The lonely boys would court our chickens in the pen. They fell in love with the 1960 VW beetle, and would answer its horn whenever we honked it. A peacock poop will run from the roof of a beetle all the way to the ground, ask me how I know Facepalm
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
17-06-2016, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2016 12:07 PM by Full Circle.)
(17-06-2016 09:53 AM)skyking Wrote:  I was fine till you mentioned the peacocks. My neighbors had peacocks, which means everybody has peacocks. The lonely boys would court our chickens in the pen. They fell in love with the 1960 VW beetle, and would answer its horn whenever we honked it. A peacock poop will run from the roof of a beetle all the way to the ground, ask me how I know Facepalm

I’ll see your Peacock poop and raise you a gob of Pelican shit.

I am convinced that Pelican shit is stronger than Gorilla Glue, Superglue and Lok-Tite combined. We occasionally have doves fly into our glass doors, you hear a pretty lound thud. I heard a thunk the other day and went to see if the dove was OK, we check to see if the broke something, like their necks. Well, as you can imagine by now, it wasn’t a dove it was a big glop of Pelican poop.

Within minutes some of it had already hardened to the point that neither Windex and an abrasive sponge could remove it. Had to add five minutes of Elbow Grease.

[Image: pelicanpoop-WEB-nomark.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
17-06-2016, 12:00 PM
We get the seagull shit to dodge around here. The facepalm with the peacock on the beetle is really about my dad and how cute he thought it was to call the boys with the beetle horn. Let's just say it backfired on us, repeatedly.
17-06-2016, 12:20 PM
(17-06-2016 09:38 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 08:23 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Wtf is wrong with Florida. People get pythons as pets, but they become too big and they just let them go? What the actual fuck?

That's it...Florida is officially off my list.

The iguana will be seen if you're looking for them. They're camouflaged into the trees and grass, and they don't jump on people or anything. The pythons stay in the everglades, so you won't see them either. Venomous snakes generally stay to themselves as well. You won't really see them in developed areas. Ever.

Gators are another thing, but the absolute best way to avoid them is to just not go into fresh bodies of water. You won't see them walking around the city or anything. Staying away from the water will eliminate 99.9% of exposure to gators and water snakes like moccasins.

Oh wait... my brother was chased by a gator once. He worked at a golf course, and his job was to fish the balls out of the pond with this big stick. His net hit a gator, and it ran out of the water, after my brother! He resigned from his job after that incident.

On second thought, stay the fuck away from this place. It's nuts here.

I didn't realize you lived in Florida, Aliza. I'm sorry to hear this. My condolences. Sadcryface

just teasing you a little

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-06-2016, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2016 12:59 PM by Anjele.)
(17-06-2016 12:00 PM)skyking Wrote:  We get the seagull shit to dodge around here. The facepalm with the peacock on the beetle is really about my dad and how cute he thought it was to call the boys with the beetle horn. Let's just say it backfired on us, repeatedly.

Years ago there was problem on highway 12 on The Outer Banks...there's one way in and one way out much like The Keys. Unless you take a ferry.

Gulls were dropping clams and oysters and crabs on the highway to break them open so they could get to the meat inside. It was making the two lane road quite slick. So, they painted seagulls on the roadway thinking that the gulls wouldn't drop the clams onto a bird beneath them. They stopped doing that so I assume it wasn't as effective as they originally thought it would be. But it was kind of cool to drive down the road and come upon large paintings of the topside of seagulls.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
17-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Just catching up on this thread, and I'm disappointed by some of the comments about the parents. It wasn't their fault. It's a horrible tragedy but why this need to find someone to blame? The clearly had no idea of the danger and who thinks you're going to have live gators in a man made marsh in Disney? People from the area know that and frequent visitors to the state may figure it out, but if you're not familiar with Florida it's not unreasonable to think that Disney could be isolated. They isolate ever other part of their environment, so why not the water?

There was no warning sign about alligators and the no swimming sign could have been for dozens of reasons that had nothing to do with any kind of danger. They deserved a reprimand for ignoring the sign, not the death of their son. I don't think the parents are at all at fault here. It was a tragic accident due to not understanding the true nature of their environment. Why the need to find fault is beyond me.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-06-2016, 07:38 PM
(17-06-2016 07:29 PM)BnW Wrote:  There was no warning sign about alligators and the no swimming sign could have been for dozens of reasons that had nothing to do with any kind of danger. They deserved a reprimand for ignoring the sign, not the death of their son. I don't think the parents are at all at fault here. It was a tragic accident due to not understanding the true nature of their environment. Why the need to find fault is beyond me.

It should really be assumed that 'no swimming' means to stay out of the water. Do we really have to have a sign that posts all the possible reasons for that? Maybe there's snakes in there, maybe some parasite or bacteria, maybe because there isn't a lifeguard on duty, maybe the depth is deceiving, the list of possibilities is endless.

Yes, it's a horrible tragedy but no means no. The sign was not there for decoration. I am pretty certain there are places at Disney and around Florida where swimming and water play of all sorts are allowed and expected.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-06-2016, 07:43 PM
No, we don't need a sign for every reason, but a deadly reptile is something that needs to be highlighted. The kid was walking on the shore. His father was holding his hand. He wasn't at risk of drowning and I presume they weren't letting him mess with the environment.

Taking some liberties with the literal wording of a parochial sign that gives zero indication of what the actual risk is doesn't create fault for this. They didn't do any thing wrong.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-06-2016, 07:50 PM
(17-06-2016 07:43 PM)BnW Wrote:  No, we don't need a sign for every reason, but a deadly reptile is something that needs to be highlighted. The kid was walking on the shore. His father was holding his hand. He wasn't at risk of drowning and I presume they weren't letting him mess with the environment.

Taking some liberties with the literal wording of a parochial sign that gives zero indication of what the actual risk is doesn't create fault for this. They didn't do any thing wrong.

It was very poor judgement on the part of the parents. They were wading in the water...no swimming implies to stay out of the water.

I am sorry this little guy lost his life. Following instructions and staying out of the water could have prevented this from happening.

As I have said earlier, had he dashed away from them and ran to the water I would have a little more sympathy. The father was walking in the water with the child where there was a sign saying 'no'.