Gator snatches two year old from Disney Lagoon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: Gator snatches two year old from Disney Lagoon
I disagree. They obviously had no idea of the danger. Their 2 year old was walking with his feet in the water. The idea that somehow makes this in any way their fault is just insane. That's not swimming.

There is one lesson from the bible that I've always liked: let he who is without sin cast the first stone. No one is perfect. They made an innocent mistake and I cannot understand this need to blame them or find fault with their actions. Any parent has similar stories. Most of us didn't lose our children over it. The lack of empathy is staggering.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
17-06-2016, 08:09 PM
(17-06-2016 07:58 PM)BnW Wrote:  I disagree. They obviously had no idea of the danger. Their 2 year old was walking with his feet in the water. The idea that somehow makes this in any way their fault is just insane. That's not swimming.

There is one lesson from the bible that I've always liked: let he who is without sin cast the first stone. No one is perfect. They made an innocent mistake and I cannot understand this need to blame them or find fault with their actions. Any parent has similar stories. Most of us didn't lose our children over it. The lack of empathy is staggering.

To some extent I have to agree with you. Disney is meticulous about keeping their guests safe. I've learned a little more about the situation, and apparently the family was on a sandy, man-made beach at the Grand Floridian. If you've ever been to Disney, you might have noticed the movies that are shown (usually on the pool decks) in the evening hours. This family was out watching one of those movies when the incident happened.

Again, learning a little more about the situation, the lagoon is entirely man-made, and may not be connected to the everglades through underground pipes, as so many bodies of water are. There may have been no expectation on Disney's part that gators might have been in the waters. I guess we'll learn more about the situation as the story unfolds.
17-06-2016, 08:18 PM
I think Disney did know. How could they not know gators got into those lagoons? Those resorts are not new and alligators have climbed chain link fences to get into pools. There is no possible way Disney could keep alligators out and no chance they were not aware of it. Maybe they thought this location was isolated enough, but they were wrong.

But, who really didn't know were out of state guests at The Grand Floridian.

I don't really blame Disney for this. They should have had a sign that said "danger, may be alligators", but this was just really a tragic accident. But, I've seen the parents blamed all over the place and I think it's insane. They did absolutely nothing to cause this. People really should be ashamed.

17-06-2016, 08:29 PM
It's typical binary thinking. One or the other. If the parents share any blame then they can't sue Disney in some people's reasoning. I also see this kind of reasoning used by theists all the time.
Somebody or Something must be blamed.
17-06-2016, 08:38 PM
(17-06-2016 08:18 PM)BnW Wrote:  I think Disney did know. How could they not know gators got into those lagoons? Those resorts are not new and alligators have climbed chain link fences to get into pools. There is no possible way Disney could keep alligators out and no chance they were not aware of it. Maybe they thought this location was isolated enough, but they were wrong.

But, who really didn't know were out of state guests at The Grand Floridian.

I don't really blame Disney for this. They should have had a sign that said "danger, may be alligators", but this was just really a tragic accident. But, I've seen the parents blamed all over the place and I think it's insane. They did absolutely nothing to cause this. People really should be ashamed.

They also disregarded the no swimming signs.

It was a tragic accident and like many it could have been avoided.

I'm a totally dumb blonde from California and I know that Florida is lousy with alligators and not just there. I also know that Canadians don't live in igloos and just about everyone I've ever met from Alaska has been a little weird and might or might not actually live in igloos. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-06-2016, 09:05 PM
i would sue their asses off. fuck disney.
17-06-2016, 09:26 PM
(17-06-2016 08:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They also disregarded the no swimming signs.

I'm a totally dumb blonde from California and I know that Florida is lousy with alligators and not just there. I also know that Canadians don't live in igloos and just about everyone I've ever met from Alaska has been a little weird and might or might not actually live in igloos. Tongue

First, walking with a toddlers feet in the water is not "swimming".

Second, most accidents can be avoided if we don't leave the house.

Third, knowing Florida is "lousy with alligators " doesn't mean it's reasonable to expect people to know a man made lagoon a few hundred miles from the everglades in a resort not connected to any natural waterways will have them.

Again, I cannot get over how judgmental so many of you are. You never did something with your kids that you later realized was dangerous and you got lucky?

17-06-2016, 09:44 PM
(17-06-2016 09:26 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 08:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They also disregarded the no swimming signs.

First, walking with a toddlers feet in the water is not "swimming".

Third, knowing Florida is "lousy with alligators " doesn't mean it's reasonable to expect people to know a man made lagoon a few hundred miles from the everglades in a resort not connected to any natural waterways will have them.

Again, I cannot get over how judgmental so many of you are. You never did something with your kids that you later realized was dangerous and you got lucky?

That's it. I'm cashing on an idea for a new sign.

KEEP YOUR ASS OUT OF THE FUCKING WATER!

No jury can argue with that.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
17-06-2016, 09:56 PM
(17-06-2016 07:58 PM)BnW Wrote:  I disagree. They obviously had no idea of the danger. Their 2 year old was walking with his feet in the water. The idea that somehow makes this in any way their fault is just insane. That's not swimming.

You are playing semantics. What if he was floating in the water? That's not swimming. I think OMM has the right idea...stay out of the fucking water.

Alligators show up on golf courses here in TX and the Everglades is long way from here.

I would not expect to find an alligator in Lake Michigan but if I am south of the Mason Dixon line I figure the possibility of it increases dramatically. As does the possibility of some really nasty water snakes.

Again, I think it was really poor judgement on the part of the parents to disregard the sign or to read it as literally as you suggest.

And, you are quoting Bible stuff to make your point? Really, have you met us?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-06-2016, 10:31 PM
(17-06-2016 09:44 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 09:26 PM)BnW Wrote:  First, walking with a toddlers feet in the water is not "swimming".

That's it. I'm cashing on an idea for a new sign.

KEEP YOUR ASS OUT OF THE FUCKING WATER!

No jury can argue with that.

Pfffft. That's easily destroyed.

"Your honor, his ass wasn't in the water. His legs were in the water. I rest my case."
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post