Gator snatches two year old from Disney Lagoon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 10:36 PM
RE: Gator snatches two year old from Disney Lagoon
(17-06-2016 07:58 PM)BnW Wrote:  I disagree. They obviously had no idea of the danger. Their 2 year old was walking with his feet in the water. The idea that somehow makes this in any way their fault is just insane. That's not swimming.

There is one lesson from the bible that I've always liked: let he who is without sin cast the first stone. No one is perfect. They made an innocent mistake and I cannot understand this need to blame them or find fault with their actions. Any parent has similar stories. Most of us didn't lose our children over it. The lack of empathy is staggering.

It's fucking alligators... It's not some sort of deep sea fish it's a stealth predator that often attacks things drinking at the side of the river/lake/whatever.

"warning, there are fucking alligator in this shit, stay the fuck out"

Is usually a good warning sign to stay the fuck clear.

If I need 10ml of a poison to kill me I'm not gonna drink 9ml for shits and giggles.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
18-06-2016, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2016 01:03 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(17-06-2016 09:26 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 08:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They also disregarded the no swimming signs.

It was a tragic accident and like many it could have been avoided.

I'm a totally dumb blonde from California and I know that Florida is lousy with alligators and not just there. I also know that Canadians don't live in igloos and just about everyone I've ever met from Alaska has been a little weird and might or might not actually live in igloos. Tongue

First, walking with a toddlers feet in the water is not "swimming".

Second, most accidents can be avoided if we don't leave the house.

Third, knowing Florida is "lousy with alligators " doesn't mean it's reasonable to expect people to know a man made lagoon a few hundred miles from the everglades in a resort not connected to any natural waterways will have them.

Again, I cannot get over how judgmental so many of you are. You never did something with your kids that you later realized was dangerous and you got lucky?

I'm going to rant on many observations I've made in my 22 years of parenting.

You don't let your toddler run across a busy parking lot where cars are backing out and pulling into spaces.

You don't let your kids run around restaurants. Servers are carrying often hot food and can't see what's going on below their field of vision well.

Grocery stores aren't playgrounds either.

If you see a sign that says keep off the grass, do you keep your toddler off it? Or do you just let them run all over it?

If you see yellow tape covering a swing set at a park do you just let your child swing anyway because they really must swing?

When my kids learned to ride a bike, they wore a helmet, because it's stupid not to make them do that. If they refused to wear it, I didn't let them ride.

When they learned to ride skateboards they wore a helmet then too, also knee and elbow pads.

When we drove from California to our new home here and when my youngest refused to get into the van and sit in his car seat, we didn't move until he got over it and was safe.

Likewise when my older son screamed from Lake Tahoe to San Francisco, I wouldn't let my mother in law "just pick him up and hold him" while the car was moving. We were stuck in heavy traffic on the freeway and couldn't just pull over.

My husband wouldn't let the boys jump on the bed -- which I didn't think was a big deal until he showed me X-rays of kids with skull fractures and broken collarbones.

When we took the boys to beach and saw signs that read "beach closed" we didn't just ignore it. Some did. We didn't and later we heard on the news that shit ton of jelly fish were on the beach and in the water, because of a recent storm. Many people learned that jelly fish can sting after they're dead.

When we were in crowded places, and the kids were small, they would hold our hands -- it was a rule. There were no exceptions to it.

They weren't allowed to just run around on their own, unless it was safe to do it -- like a park, but we also watched them.

I also made sure I had all the bath stuff together before the kid was in the water and I didn't answer the phone.

if I see a sign that says no swimming I wouldn't let my kid into the water -- or probably near it. And if it became too much, we'd just go to the pool.

Oh and while I'm on the subject of pools, big rule for us, no running and no glass.

I've seen too many kids face plant while running around pools.

I don't take chances when it comes to safety.

I don't care if they missed out on the experience of running by a pool or a parking lot. It's one they can do without.

When my older son got his drivers license and again after he turned 21, we instilled into him that a cab ride or phone call is always less expensive than trying to drive drunk. Even if over-night and the car gets towed. It's still cheaper than a having to hire a lawyer or contacting a funeral home.

Have I made a mistake where I just felt lucky after? Yes, once my son threw his plush ducky down the heater vent and nearly starred a fire, because I was playing a game on the computer (and cooking dinner) in the other room. I sincerely thought he was asleep. But given the way he was....I should have known better.

So yeah, I've held a friend's hand too many times while waiting to hear if someone they loved would live and I've attended far too many funerals to not take what should be basic safety seriously.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-06-2016, 02:31 AM
The bizarre thing is that there's little canoes (presumably for hire) right next to the warning sign. And we all know that canoes never capsize when being paddled by inexperience canoeists don't we?
Confused

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
18-06-2016, 07:04 AM
(18-06-2016 02:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:  The bizarre thing is that there's little canoes (presumably for hire) right next to the warning sign. And we all know that canoes never capsize when being paddled by inexperience canoeists don't we?
Confused

I presumed they were decoration.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
18-06-2016, 07:08 AM
(18-06-2016 12:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 09:26 PM)BnW Wrote:  First, walking with a toddlers feet in the water is not "swimming".

Third, knowing Florida is "lousy with alligators " doesn't mean it's reasonable to expect people to know a man made lagoon a few hundred miles from the everglades in a resort not connected to any natural waterways will have them.

Again, I cannot get over how judgmental so many of you are. You never did something with your kids that you later realized was dangerous and you got lucky?

You don't let your toddler run across a busy parking lot where cars are backing out and pulling into spaces.

You don't let your kids run around restaurants. Servers are carrying often hot food and can't see what's going on below their field of vision well.

If you see a sign that says keep off the grass, do you keep your toddler off it? Or do you just let them run all over it?

If you see yellow tape covering a swing set at a park do you just let your child swing anyway because they really must swing?

When my kids learned to ride a bike, they wore a helmet, because it's stupid not to make them do that. If they refused to wear it, I didn't let them ride.

When they learned to ride skateboards they wore a helmet then too, also knee and elbow pads.

When we drove from California to our new home here and when my youngest refused to get into the van and sit in his car seat, we didn't move until he got over it and was safe.

Likewise when my older son screamed from Lake Tahoe to San Francisco, I wouldn't let my mother in law "just pick him up and hold him" while the car was moving. We were stuck in heavy traffic on the freeway and couldn't just pull over.

My husband wouldn't let the boys jump on the bed -- which I didn't think was a big deal until he showed me X-rays of kids with skull fractures and broken collarbones.

When we took the boys to beach and saw signs that read "beach closed" we didn't just ignore it. Some did. We didn't and later we heard on the news that shit ton of jelly fish were on the beach and in the water, because of a recent storm. Many people learned that jelly fish can sting after they're dead.

When we were in crowded places, and the kids were small, they would hold our hands -- it was a rule. There were no exceptions to it.

They weren't allowed to just run around on their own, unless it was safe to do it -- like a park, but we also watched them.

I also made sure I had all the bath stuff together before the kid was in the water and I didn't answer the phone.

if I see a sign that says no swimming I wouldn't let my kid into the water -- or probably near it. And if it became too much, we'd just go to the pool.

Oh and while I'm on the subject of pools, big rule for us, no running and no glass.

I don't care if they missed out on the experience of running by a pool or a parking lot. It's one they can do without.

When my older son got his drivers license and again after he turned 21, we instilled into him that a cab ride or phone call is always less expensive than trying to drive drunk. Even if over-night and the car gets towed. It's still cheaper than a having to hire a lawyer or contacting a funeral home.

Have I made a mistake where I just felt lucky after? Yes, once my son threw his plush ducky down the heater vent and nearly starred a fire, because I was playing a game on the computer (and cooking dinner) in the other room. I sincerely thought he was asleep. But given the way he was....I should have known better.

So yeah, I've held a friend's hand too many times while waiting to hear if someone they loved would live and I've attended far too many funerals to not take what should be basic safety seriously.

You have been an excellent mom! Wish there were more like you.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-06-2016, 07:20 AM
(17-06-2016 09:26 PM)BnW Wrote:  First, walking with a toddlers feet in the water is not "swimming".

I managed to keep three kids alive to adulthood...much to the surprise of many. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-06-2016, 07:37 AM
(18-06-2016 07:20 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 12:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm going to rant on many observations I've made in my 22 years of parenting.

I managed to keep three kids alive to adulthood...much to the surprise of many. Tongue

Laugh out load You too get a cookie.

[Image: Over-the-top-M-M-Peanut-Butter-Cookie-top.jpg]

My mother kept four of us alive.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-06-2016, 08:24 AM
5 out of 6 aint' bad
We need some musical note things, I couch so many replies inside a song.
Hey now I am just playing along, this is humor. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
18-06-2016, 01:26 PM
(17-06-2016 10:31 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 09:44 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  That's it. I'm cashing on an idea for a new sign.

KEEP YOUR ASS OUT OF THE FUCKING WATER!

No jury can argue with that.

Pfffft. That's easily destroyed.

"Your honor, his ass wasn't in the water. His legs were in the water. I rest my case."

Laugh out load

"Well, Your Honor... The thigh bone's connected to the ass bone
the ass bone's connected to the backbone
the backbone's connected to the skull bone
Them bones, them bones, them bones...."

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
18-06-2016, 01:43 PM

I'm sorry Moms, but that's all irrelevant bullshit. The idea that they didn't do these things or take safety seriously is completely contradicted by the facts. A 2 year old boy was walking in ankle deep water in a closed off resort while holding his father's hand. The idea that because there was a "no swimming" sign they violated some rule of safety where it was reasonable to assume he was in danger of being eaten by a fucking alligator is preposterous. This ever growing societal need to sit in judgment of people from our end of the ethernet connection is really disturbing. These people are deserving of empathy, not judgment.

Muffs - there was no sign saying anything about alligators. Ever been to Disney? They shut the thing off from the world. I've been to the Grand Floridian. It's it's own world. I can easily see how a tourist would fail to comprehend that a man made beach around a manmade lagoon could be a home to alligators. Especially if they are renting canoes to go glide across that water.

We all want to pretend that these tragedies can never happen to us and that if we were there we could have avoided it all. That's simply not true, though. These people were not unique. One other parent has already posted pictures of their kid walking in the same lagoon an hour before it happened. From what I gather, this was a common thing. Again, "swimming" and "walking in ankle deep water" are not the same thing".

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost