Gator snatches two year old from Disney Lagoon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 06:21 PM
RE: Gator snatches two year old from Disney Lagoon
Seems I’ve hijacked the thread. My apologies.

Here is more about the incident

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alligat...y-florida/

There are an estimated 1.3 million alligators in Florida, said Arnold Brunell, a wildlife biologist and researcher for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. That number has been holding steady for the past five years, he said.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
15-06-2016, 06:24 PM
(15-06-2016 06:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 05:59 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  It is! Oh noes I’ve been found. Duck Key is 17 miles down the road from us. It has become quite exclusive with Hawk Cay Resort being a 5 Star joint.

Dude, more importantly, you're right next to the Dolphin Research Center!

That is one of the coolest places in the USA.

(I also had a hyper-Capitalist girlfriend break up with me over that place, when I was living in Coral Gables for a summer, because I didn't like the high-paying job I had in applied science, and wanted to work in the pure science field... when she found out I'd applied for lower paying jobs at the Oceanographic Institute and at the dolphin center, it was OVER!)

Good riddance, that place is great.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
15-06-2016, 06:25 PM
(15-06-2016 06:18 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 05:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If there is anything that's from the devil it's fire ants. They were all over SC...they are evil little creatures that you can't get rid of.

I was walking across the grass (if you wanna call that razor stuff grass) at a college in Florida (I can't remember which college) with my one year old and three year old daughters. We all had sandals on and the fire ants attacked all three of us. I picked up my two kids and ran for the sidewalk while the fire ants were biting us all over our feet. I swatted them off my kids feet first while my feet were being burned alive. They were screaming and I was super pissed and longing for California.

Ouch. Fire ants hurt like a mother.

E.O.Wilson would not be happy to hear this though.

15-06-2016, 06:35 PM
“Four alligators have been killed by rescuers searching for a toddler who was dragged into the water at a luxury Disney World resort.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/...ck-8196986

I’m shocked it’s only four.

15-06-2016, 07:17 PM
(15-06-2016 06:35 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  “Four alligators have been killed by rescuers searching for a toddler who was dragged into the water at a luxury Disney World resort.”

Me too. I would guess there are at least dozens upon dozens of gators on Disney property. It's a massive piece of land with lots of lakes and canals.
15-06-2016, 08:24 PM
(15-06-2016 06:35 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  “Four alligators have been killed by rescuers searching for a toddler who was dragged into the water at a luxury Disney World resort.”

It wasn't a gorilla, the news will pass fast.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-06-2016, 08:32 PM
(15-06-2016 04:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 02:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I feel bad for that poor child. I am a little pissed at the parents. Why didn't they read and heed the damn signs...it's your job as a parent to keep you child as safe as you can.

If the child would have gotten loose from one of the parents and gotten into the water I would have a bit more sympathy...toddlers can be sneaky and quick. They were wading in the water acting as though the signs didn't pertain to them.

Wonder who they will try to sue.

A couple of things. First, guaranteed that the gator will be tracked and killed...reminds me of a gorilla story but I can’t place it right now. Rolleyes

Secondly, I am of the opinion that you can divide people into three camps: Camp A) Those that are afraid of anything that has to do with Nature and think everything wants to eat them. I call them shopping mall people.
Camp B) Those that think the world is benign and go pet Bison on the head and walk up to Grizzly bears to photograph them or take their two year old to a lake where gator signs are posted.
Camp C) Those who understand that precautions must always be taken and knowledge of your surroundings is part of that precaution then go out and enjoy the great outdoors.

I hang around with people from Camp C but know many from the other two. The Camp B people are always a source of entertainment. The Camp A people bore me to tears.

As my brother from Camp A says, “Nature, you scary”.
As my brother form Camp B says, “What do you suppose would happen if I tried to touch that thing? Let’s find out.”
Me: Hold on while I get my camera.

Silly camp B people. Everyone knows you don't pet a bison on the head. You stay within it's view, but pet its side so it doesn't get spooked by your hands moving towards its face.

'Murican Canadian
15-06-2016, 08:39 PM
We watched a meathead German tourist trying to become a statistic at Old Faithful. He goes sneaking up on this massive bison on the lawn between the lodge and geyser, and just as he gets there the bison turns and takes a quick little step in his direction. The message was clear, I could run you down with little effort, but more effort than I am willing to put in.
Much Facepalm ensued. No, the rangers did not catch him.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
15-06-2016, 10:16 PM
(15-06-2016 08:39 PM)skyking Wrote:  We watched a meathead German tourist trying to become a statistic at Old Faithful. He goes sneaking up on this massive bison on the lawn between the lodge and geyser, and just as he gets there the bison turns and takes a quick little step in his direction. The message was clear, I could run you down with little effort, but more effort than I am willing to put in.
Much Facepalm ensued. No, the rangers did not catch him.

It is really unbelievable, where do they think they are? Disney World?

Recent news
http://abc7.com/news/tourist-dies-at-yel...g/1378610/

TOURIST DIES AT YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK AFTER FALLING INTO BOILING, ACIDIC SPRING

"No significant human remains were left to recover after Colin Nathaniel Scott, a former nature preserve volunteer from Portland, Oregon, went off a designated pathway and slipped on some gravel and into the water in a geyser basin dotted with boiling hot springs, authorities said.

Only his sister witnessed the fall, park officials said. The pair had walked about 225 yards off the boardwalk to get closer to some thermal features, which is against park regulations, officials said.”

I’ll nominate him for a Darwin Award. It’s not that he fell off of a boardwalk mind you, he walked 225 yards into the geyser field. Facepalm

[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
15-06-2016, 10:18 PM
(15-06-2016 08:32 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 04:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  A couple of things. First, guaranteed that the gator will be tracked and killed...reminds me of a gorilla story but I can’t place it right now. Rolleyes

Secondly, I am of the opinion that you can divide people into three camps: Camp A) Those that are afraid of anything that has to do with Nature and think everything wants to eat them. I call them shopping mall people.
Camp B) Those that think the world is benign and go pet Bison on the head and walk up to Grizzly bears to photograph them or take their two year old to a lake where gator signs are posted.
Camp C) Those who understand that precautions must always be taken and knowledge of your surroundings is part of that precaution then go out and enjoy the great outdoors.

I hang around with people from Camp C but know many from the other two. The Camp B people are always a source of entertainment. The Camp A people bore me to tears.

As my brother from Camp A says, “Nature, you scary”.
As my brother form Camp B says, “What do you suppose would happen if I tried to touch that thing? Let’s find out.”
Me: Hold on while I get my camera.

Silly camp B people. Everyone knows you don't pet a bison on the head. You stay within it's view, but pet its side so it doesn't get spooked by your hands moving towards its face.

Is she doing this right?

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post