Gay Bars in the 60s

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2014, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2014 04:56 PM by Mr Woof.)
Rainbow Gay Bars in the 60s
Not really psychology but interesting......
It was round 1959/60 when I ventured into my first gay bar, after starting on the booze at about 16. I considered myself hetero initially, an assumption that would change.

The major gay bar in Melbourne was The Hotel Australia, and it was very up market.
In those days the bars closed at 6 P.M. at which time the drinkers would mill outside looking for parties, or pick ups on a Saturday night. As for the interior workings, there was substantial drinking to be done by a pretty diverse group.As I recall there were no lesbians, though they did run parties. The word gay was unknown then: homosexuals were described as being camp, a term I was once told stood for convicted and male pervert. I think too that the division in sexual preference (re dominant and passive) was more defining.The terminology used was butch and bitch, with the minority group being 'versatile'. As for the drinkers, the straights would move further towards bi- sexuality as the beer flowed. There was also a lot of cadging of money and free drinks from the older poofs as they were known from this element. The more passive camp people tended to be trissy and act out with overly female mannerisms, to the annoyance of some. There were quite a few older exhibitionist types, and I recall one I think her name was Beatrice sqealling "Ooohh
he's trying to seduce me" when being removed by a bouncer.
There was Big Kevin from N.Z. 6'7" and allegedly a gay stand over man. Well I remember little Paddy, also from N.Z ,and a queen, beating him up outside. Strange things happened in those days.

As for me, my friends at various times were Lulu, a hooker, Red Feather, a ballet dancer, and George who was quite religious. I met them all at the Australia.
Lulu was pretty dangerous, a friend of the well known King s Cross witch Rowie Norton, she was into opium, and very anti social. The other two were far more normal. Lulu used to carry around a cutting from the Sydney Truth which read Kiwi youth pollutes Sydney Cess pool! It was a pretty serious learning curve and in those days the cops could be pretty violent with camp people.

I remember one party at which I picked up a drag queen and later went to her home, only to meet her wife. It seemed like it was a pretty regular thing. Next day I also met the young kids and can only remember one of them asking...."where's Daddy's handbag". In the 60s this all came across as being pretty odd. Another party that was popular was run by Madam Chang who much later opted for a sex change.
Forty years later I would see MC working as a soap box orator. My friend , also on the soap box was having some trouble with Chang and I jokingly said, as his solictor, I would be taking some action. Quick as a flash she replied...."the only soliciting youv'e ever done is in public toilets". She must have remembered me, though what she said was untrue. I drew the line there.

Well its been a long learning curve.
Things are much different now, and if I have learned one thing; it is that it is far preferable, and far less complicated to engage one partner in a meaningful relationship, irrespective of sexual preferences, then to get really slowed down in the fast lane.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Mr Woof's post
30-04-2014, 04:58 PM
RE: Gay Bars in the 60s
Some time spent in the fast lane can lead to some interesting encounters and experiences. The important thing is knowing when it's time to find the off ramp.

Ahhh, the late 70s and early 80s...wonder I am still alive to tell the tale...though I won't be telling the tale. Angel

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-04-2014, 05:11 PM
My first gay bar experience was in 2001. hehe
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
01-05-2014, 04:41 PM
(30-04-2014 04:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Some time spent in the fast lane can lead to some interesting encounters and experiences. The important thing is knowing when it's time to find the off ramp.

Ahhh, the late 70s and early 80s...wonder I am still alive to tell the tale...though I won't be telling the tale. Angel
You must be getting on too AnjeSad

I had a pretty sordid past and don't feel ashamed or proud.
It's how I conduct myself these days that counts................
01-05-2014, 04:46 PM
(30-04-2014 05:11 PM)Foxen Wrote:  My first gay bar experience was in 2001. hehe
I haven't frequented them for over 40 years.
Post the gay stuff group sex and swinging was troublesome though. Largely hetero.
Now at 72 my libido is pretty dashed.................time for my granpa nap!Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
25-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Thought I might re vamp OP, in keeping with some change of mind set.
Seemingly back in the 60s, I involved myself in some quite extreme gay indulgences.
Well it was then!
In consequence, my attitudes, mainly self blame, may have twisted my outlook somewhat in this domain.
Risky promiscuity is not restricted to any one (or two) sexual preference......

That said what is arguably far more important these days may be a meaningful one on one relationship, irrespective of one's sexual preference. I use 'one on one' advisedly, as too much promiscuity, may well diminish the values of such. For all the short term joys running about (too much) can have decided disadvantages.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
18-03-2015, 04:13 AM
(01-05-2014 04:46 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(30-04-2014 05:11 PM)Foxen Wrote:  My first gay bar experience was in 2001. hehe
I haven't frequented them for over 40 years.
Post the gay stuff group sex and swinging was troublesome though. Largely hetero.
Now at 72 my libido is pretty dashed.................time for my granpa nap!Hobo
A contemporary of Mr McCartney - who's libido never seems to nap!
21-04-2015, 05:55 PM
(30-04-2014 04:52 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Not really psychology but interesting......
It was round 1959/60 when I ventured into my first gay bar, after starting on the booze at about 16. I considered myself hetero initially, an assumption that would change.

The major gay bar in Melbourne was The Hotel Australia, and it was very up market.
In those days the bars closed at 6 P.M. at which time the drinkers would mill outside looking for parties, or pick ups on a Saturday night. As for the interior workings, there was substantial drinking to be done by a pretty diverse group.As I recall there were no lesbians, though they did run parties. The word gay was unknown then: homosexuals were described as being camp, a term I was once told stood for convicted and male pervert. I think too that the division in sexual preference (re dominant and passive) was more defining.The terminology used was butch and bitch, with the minority group being 'versatile'. As for the drinkers, the straights would move further towards bi- sexuality as the beer flowed. There was also a lot of cadging of money and free drinks from the older poofs as they were known from this element. The more passive camp people tended to be trissy and act out with overly female mannerisms, to the annoyance of some. There were quite a few older exhibitionist types, and I recall one I think her name was Beatrice sqealling "Ooohh
he's trying to seduce me" when being removed by a bouncer.
There was Big Kevin from N.Z. 6'7" and allegedly a gay stand over man. Well I remember little Paddy, also from N.Z ,and a queen, beating him up outside. Strange things happened in those days.

As for me, my friends at various times were Lulu, a hooker, Red Feather, a ballet dancer, and George who was quite religious. I met them all at the Australia.
Lulu was pretty dangerous, a friend of the well known King s Cross witch Rowie Norton, she was into opium, and very anti social. The other two were far more normal. Lulu used to carry around a cutting from the Sydney Truth which read Kiwi youth pollutes Sydney Cess pool! It was a pretty serious learning curve and in those days the cops could be pretty violent with camp people.

I remember one party at which I picked up a drag queen and later went to her home, only to meet her wife. It seemed like it was a pretty regular thing. Next day I also met the young kids and can only remember one of them asking...."where's Daddy's handbag". In the 60s this all came across as being pretty odd. Another party that was popular was run by Madam Chang who much later opted for a sex change.
Forty years later I would see MC working as a soap box orator. My friend , also on the soap box was having some trouble with Chang and I jokingly said, as his solictor, I would be taking some action. Quick as a flash she replied...."the only soliciting youv'e ever done is in public toilets". She must have remembered me, though what she said was untrue. I drew the line there.

Well its been a long learning curve.
Things are much different now, and if I have learned one thing; it is that it is far preferable, and far less complicated to engage one partner in a meaningful relationship, irrespective of sexual preferences, then to get really slowed down in the fast lane.

Hmmmm! Now I'm drinking again, maybe I should go post modernist and try a current one,,,,,,,,,,,,have'nt 4 decades............an excuse for an update???Wink
21-04-2015, 06:11 PM
(25-11-2014 03:01 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Thought I might re vamp OP, in keeping with some change of mind set.
Seemingly back in the 60s, I involved myself in some quite extreme gay indulgences.
Well it was then!
In consequence, my attitudes, mainly self blame, may have twisted my outlook somewhat in this domain.
Risky promiscuity is not restricted to any one (or two) sexual preference......

I am impressed. Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
21-04-2015, 07:24 PM
my introduction into the world of all things gay was on a Christmas break road trip with some college friends. We stayed with the brother of one of the girls in New Jersey, later we ended up in the Village of NYC at clubs and bars and apartments of Lou's friends. It was the late 80's - sex, drugs and rock n roll. It was a world that this country girl had no clue even existed. One guy gave me a ounce of pot ...just gave it to me...because he knew my mind was blown. lol. Sadly, our host Lou was ill with HIV not long after. It was before the cocktails of drugs. His art lives on though. He painted bands (punk) as they performed on huge 12x12 canvasses.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/longbranch/m...ou-rudolph

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post