Poll: About gay Marriage....
Love it, Can`t get enough of it.
No way, marriage is for straights only....
Marriage... gotta go.
No one should get married.
Only lesbians, cause it`s hot.
Only dudes, cause it`s hot
we need something new
I`m already married to the same sex.
[Show Results]

Gay Marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Gay Marriage
I didn`t know quite where to put this topic. So here it is, move it if you like.

So about gay marriage, are you for it or against it, or forgainst it.

I`m going out there by saying I`m against it. Don`t get mad at me, hear me out.
I have nothing against those who find the same sex attractive, that`s cool beans if it makes them happy. But I am against gay marriage for the simple idea that it is a thing of religion to begin with. I have nothing against homosexuals wanting some sort of legal binding certificate to show how much they love each other. That is their right as it is mine. But marriage I feel is an entirely religious phenomenon, and as such should be theirs to do with as they please. They don`t want gay people getting married, so it should be however they want it.

But I say why not make an alternative to marriage. Call it something else, change the religious ideology behind it, and allow whosoever wants it to have it. I think of this as more or less like a mens club. To want access to this club if you were a woman is ridiculous. It is their club and so I think they can allow whoever they want inside. Make your own club. Not that I would join a club full of men only, that would make for some seriously one sided point of views. But if that`s what some guys want, good for them. Or bad.. whatever.

Honestly if there were an alternate to marriage that held the same legal bindings without the stigma of religion I would do that instead myself. At best when my wonderful woman finally wears me down the best I can hope for is a service minus the religious figure. I just can`t figure out why people always want a piece of everyones pie. Marriage for the religious, Mens clubs for the mens, breakfast cake for the seriously obese, and disco for the suckers. We can always make another option.

You ask, what about the gay religious... I don`t know. HuhConfusedBig Grin

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2011, 01:11 PM
RE: Gay Marriage
They are called civil unions, but they are usually not as equal as marriage. Marriage, as it turns out, is NOT simply a religious matter, but a government matter as well. Using your logic, atheists should not be allowed to get married as well.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
25-06-2011, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2011 01:24 PM by lucradis.)
I know, I was sort of pointing to that.
Maybe I should have said matrimony. Because you`re right in saying it isn`t only a religious act. Even though the government is willing to recognize either a civil servant as witness or a religious figure. Making it almost a mute point. I still say that they should be separate the same way church and state, and church and school should be separate. What I essentially meant was that we shouldn`t waste our time trying to achieve the same things as the religious. We should just make something else our own.

Besides I`m sure if you ask a christian whose marriage is, they would say it was theirs.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
25-06-2011, 06:48 PM
I view my marriage as a formal and public life long commitment to my husband. Regardless of sexual orientation I am monogamous. I don't think everyone is, by nature. I don't think anyone has a right to tell anyone other person if or who they'd like to be married to. I believe both parties must express interest. Some Christians I know have made the argument that next it'll be animals or,worse, pedophilia. As far as I know a goat cannot recite a vow and children are too immature to understand it so should be exempt.
I find value and non political or religious benefits in my marriage and would be sad if anyone, atheist or not, devalued it on a personal level- but for political reasons, whatever! I know the commitment we made, so does my partner- that's what matters in the end Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
25-06-2011, 06:58 PM
True. It is the love and commitment that matters most. Though I'm sure the religious may disagree. I have no actual issue with gay people wanting to be married, just the idea of what marriage means to religious people and others by proxy. Well actually I am not really for marriage in essence. Lol. I dislike the idea of signing a paper to prove my love for my spouse a little silly. But she wants it, so be it. I love her, and intend on being with her forever.
I'm also against the whole ceremony thing, luckily I have her on my side for that one.

25-06-2011, 07:05 PM
I am totally for same sex marriage.

I hate the attitude of people who believe religious belief is adequate grounds for discrimination. It goes on all the time over here, we constantly get the attitude of 'I'm being discriminated against because I'm not allowed to discriminate against others'. These people need to get over themselves and realise that we don't live in the dark ages anymore.

Just for the record I'm straight and therefore, unbiased.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
25-06-2011, 07:27 PM
You do realize that no one would mind civil union if it carried all the rights correct? Like religion the term marriage carries certain advantages. You can't just make a new term and expect equality. No one wants to be legally bound to someone, but get none of the government help being legally bound gives. Civil union doesn't even allow you visitation rights if your partner is hospitalized.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-06-2011, 07:40 PM
(25-06-2011 07:27 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  You do realize that no one would mind civil union if it carried all the rights correct? Like religion the term marriage carries certain advantages. You can't just make a new term and expect equality. No one wants to be legally bound to someone, but get none of the government help being legally bound gives. Civil union doesn't even allow you visitation rights if your partner is hospitalized.

Agreed. I don't expect to have a new term immediately receive the same equality, I would demand it. I think by stating that it is definitely not associated with religion in any way it would limit religious figures from being able to argue it. Not only that it would help by removing one more argument the religious feel needs to be made. I don't know I'm just theorizing here, and I mean no disrespect by what I've said. I hope no one has felt disrespected. I'm a bit of a screwball.

I just think that by creating an entirely new term for "marriage" that would carry the same legal structure as marriage, and by stating it has no ties to any religion whatsoever, nor any restrictions, it would eliminate the need for religion in that respect. Not that people would stop using it that way, but it would give everyone the non theist option. It would almost be like coming out of the atheist closet. Like a patch. Civil Union would be great if it wasn't already established, and weaker than marriage. Am I crazy? Peanut butter sticks to the roof of my mouth.

25-06-2011, 07:49 PM
(25-06-2011 07:40 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Agreed. I don't expect to have a new term immediately receive the same equality, I would demand it. I think by stating that it is definitely not associated with religion in any way it would limit religious figures from being able to argue it. Not only that it would help by removing one more argument the religious feel needs to be made. I don't know I'm just theorizing here, and I mean no disrespect by what I've said. I hope no one has felt disrespected. I'm a bit of a screwball.

I just think that by creating an entirely new term for "marriage" that would carry the same legal structure as marriage, and by stating it has no ties to any religion whatsoever, nor any restrictions, it would eliminate the need for religion in that respect. Not that people would stop using it that way, but it would give everyone the non theist option. It would almost be like coming out of the atheist closet. Like a patch. Civil Union would be great if it wasn't already established, and weaker than marriage. Am I crazy? Peanut butter sticks to the roof of my mouth.

I still think that churches should be forced to accept same sex marriage as I think if you allow a little bit of discrimination, however small, it will eventually grow therefore you need to stamp it out completely.

I would like a system where civil unions had the same rights as marriages and straight couples could opt for a civil union instead of a marriage. The civil union would be exactly the same but with no religious connotations. If civil unions overtook marriages as the preferred option for straight couples as well as homosexual couples then it would give gay civil unions more credibility in society as opposed to being viewed as inferior as many people do now. It would also bypass the need for marriage completely thereby removing a bit more power from the church.

Feel free to point out any flaws in my idea (I only had this idea five minutes ago so it's probably not exactly watertight, hell it could already be happening for all I know).

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
25-06-2011, 07:52 PM
you're my favorite now. That's exactly what I have meant to write down and have yet failed to do so. Everyone disregard everything I have written so far, and take this as mine. Smile