Gay Marriage Opponents Ask Appeals Court to Reinstate 2008 Ban

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Rainbow Gay Marriage Opponents Ask Appeals Court to Reinstate 2008 Ban

By Pamela A. MacLean
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg)
Supporters of a ballot measure in California that outlawed gay marriage urged a federal appeals court today to overturn a ruling that declared the law unconstitutional.

Proponents of the voter-approved 2008 state constitutional amendment banning same-sex weddings contend traditional marriages protect society’s “vital interest” in reproduction and childrearing. U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker in San Francisco struck down Proposition 8 in August, saying the measure violated the constitutional rights of gay people to equal protection and due process. (Continues @ Business Week)

Live CNN Court Coverage
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2010, 12:19 AM
RE: Gay Marriage Opponents Ask Appeals Court to Reinstate 2008 Ban
Again ?
What's wrong with people ?
Respect human rights !!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2010, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2010 10:05 AM by ebilekittae.)
-_-

Why?
I have yet to hear one rational argument against my right to marry. Sure, I'm biased, but I've admitted good points even in the middle of rather hot debates. Not a one against gay marriage. Marriage is for procreation? Why aren't you passing a law preventing infertile couples and couples otherwise physically incapable of reproducing from wedding? It's a religious thing? Why not ban atheist/agnostic/non-[majority religion] weddings? It's 100% purely discrimination against gays, with every argument (that I've heard) being a crude double-standard.

I'm really considering leaving America for good once I'm done with my studies. I'm so glad I've taken this year to study abroad and see that I do have other options.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2010, 03:26 AM
Personally I find gay marriage haters stupid as hell, irrational arguments against it are most of the time religion-based, I know, here in Mexico gay marriage is an abomination for the goverment because our president's party is deeply religious and sometimes it seems that the church-state separation is going to hell. Personally I have nothing against gay marriage, but I'm against intolerant homophobic sanctimonious liar bitches, seriously, why cannot they understand that we straight people are as imperfect as gay people? Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
07-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Levi

Quote:Marriage is for procreation? Why aren't you passing a law preventing infertile couples and couples otherwise physically incapable of reproducing from wedding?

There is a group in, I believe, Washington State that pushed for a law along these lines. Their argument was that if the inability to procreate was a reason to prevent gay marriage then any married couple that did not produce a child in a fixed amount of time should have their marriage voided by the state. It got a lot of people angry but I thought it was a good strategy.

Oh, also, your signature is really distracting.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:There is a group in, I believe, Washington State that pushed for a law along these lines. Their argument was that if the inability to procreate was a reason to prevent gay marriage then any married couple that did not produce a child in a fixed amount of time should have their marriage voided by the state. It got a lot of people angry but I thought it was a good strategy.

Wow, I had never heard of that! I respect them, then, for at least being free of the double-standard. Tongue I'll wager it didn't get much support, though, even if it was more logically sound. Tongue

Quote:Oh, also, your signature is really distracting.

Sorry. Removed it. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
04-04-2011, 05:02 PM
(07-12-2010 07:43 AM)BnW Wrote:  Levi

Quote:Marriage is for procreation? Why aren't you passing a law preventing infertile couples and couples otherwise physically incapable of reproducing from wedding?

There is a group in, I believe, Washington State that pushed for a law along these lines. Their argument was that if the inability to procreate was a reason to prevent gay marriage then any married couple that did not produce a child in a fixed amount of time should have their marriage voided by the state. It got a lot of people angry but I thought it was a good strategy.

This line of reasoning was also used during the 9th circuit hearings back in December. We're still waiting for a final decision on those hearings. In the meantime there was a request made back on February 23rd to stay the ban on gay marriage which the 9th circuit denied back on March 23rd.

For the moment many gay and lesbian couples have decided to go ahead and hold ceremonies (commitment or purely symbolic) in spite of the ban. I take a personal interest in two such ceremonies.

For one I'm performing a ceremony this September (I am an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church) for my son's god mothers.

Also my cousin Robbie and his fiance Allen are currently in 2nd place for the Crate and Barrel Ultimate Wedding Contest. They are hoping to be the first same sex couple to take first place a marriage contest of this kind. They really could use some help with votes they have until April 30th to take the lead. If anyone would like to vote for them you can at http://www.LoveAtFirstWink.com .

TA
04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
(07-12-2010 07:43 AM)BnW Wrote:  Levi

I have never heard of that... but I wouldn't be surprised. I am in the den of baptists here and I want to shoot my self.
04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
(04-04-2011 06:48 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  I am in the den of baptists here and I want to shoot my self.

I feel for you. I lived in Mesa, AZ for 3 years. It's the 2nd largest Mormon community to Utah. They banged on our door so much that I started resorting to opening the door with my shirt off while breastfeeding my child (who was a newborn at the time). I told them I was Jewish, I told them I was a Pastafarian. I even threw water on one of them when I opened the door and told them they were following a false profit and needed to be exorcised in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (I later realized I should have thrown spaghetti sauce). They just kept coming at least once a week. The first chance we had we moved back to CA.
04-04-2011, 09:38 PM
They're terrified of satanists, they think they're magic or something lol. I told one I was a Satanist and they NEVER bothered me again (I lived in Las Vegas at the time). Now I wish more missionaries came to my house though, because I want to "chat" with them Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TN - new twist on gay marriage Bows and Arrows 1 110 03-07-2014 04:29 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Ban on gay marriage... Filox 13 537 07-12-2013 07:08 PM
Last Post: Buvey
  Push for gay marriage. Mr Woof 14 387 05-12-2013 07:57 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
  "Gays finally admit to seeking to destroy the sanctity of marriage" Buddy Christ 3 572 29-04-2013 04:42 PM
Last Post: Question
Rainbow New Zealand legalizes gay marriage nach_in 39 1,048 25-04-2013 08:50 PM
Last Post: nach_in
  Circumcision, the COURT vs. RELIGIOUS TRADITION deafinition 20 1,626 04-08-2012 03:11 PM
Last Post: fstratzero
  Chick-fil-A, and "biblical marriage" Bucky Ball 33 2,395 01-08-2012 06:57 AM
Last Post: BnW