Gay Pride brings the Christians out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2015, 03:28 PM
Gay Pride brings the Christians out
This weekend is Gay Pride in the city where I live so logging onto facebook this eve and the christians are out in force getting all bent out of shape 'cos well, it's just not natural is it?!

If sex is supposed to be based on what is 'natural' or 'godly' then according to the antigay christian folks the only people who are allowed to be having sex together is a man and a woman in a conventional marriage and they are only allowed to have sex when they are looking to make a baby so no contraception, no sex unlness the woman is likely to be ovulating, once the woman reaches menopause why even bother? Where do infertile couples stand, can they have sinless sex when there is no chance of baby? What about oral sex, that surely can't be allowed, anything that 'wastes' sperm. Do we need to mourn when menstruation begins another wasted egg? Is either party allowed to acutally enjoy the sex or would that be a sin? And talking of sinning how many were chalked up to get to the point of marital, child wanting sex? To form a sexual union there are likely to be impure thoughts, lust, coveting, becoming aroused, more impure thoughts along the way...

I've found this video most informative whilst education myself about biblical marriage, I'd like to post it in response to what one of the upset christians wrote on FB although I'm not much in favour of starting fights on social media:
Link to video if it doesn't load - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw

Still it baffles me that christian folk are so a) preoccupied by what goes on in other people's bedrooms and b) intolerant of people due to their sexual orientation. What happens when someone comes to christ after living a life of being gay, do they get turned? Are they told how evil they were and how they need to have the gay prayed out of them? Do they just stay celibate forever if they're too grossed out by the idea of sleeping with the opposite sex?

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nieko Sx's post
23-05-2015, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 07:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Gay Pride brings the Christians out
Yabut Ireland approved da touching of da wee-wees.
Da pope must be perdy pissed off. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Tongue Here's the problem with people who dislike gays. The problem is they only think about the sex part of gayness instead of all the rest that comes with a relationship. If I thought about everyone elses relationships as only the sex... well that's just too much info. Blush
[+] 1 user Likes Whimsymum's post
23-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Yes Bucky, indeed they did, perhaps I should guide the christians towards that?

And Whimsy, yes, yes, I agree, why always the sex? Of course some of these people also inform you that gay people should not be allowed around kids - because they are all terrible perverts right? Also on discovering someone of the same sex as oneself is gay one should immediately be wary of them because naturally they fancy everyone indescrimintately. I'm gay ergo I want to sleep with every person of the same sex 'cos gay people just don't have a type or preferences, they just think about the 'bits'.

Perhaps I should start asking some of these folk when they chose to be heterosexual and indeed when they came out as heterosexual. We're not born with a sexual preferance are we?

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
[+] 1 user Likes Nieko Sx's post
23-05-2015, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 03:58 PM by cactus.)
And yet again, people are conflating homo-romanticism with homosexuality.

When people say "gay" in the context of marriage, they're almost always talking about homo-romanticism, so why the topic of sex even comes up, I'm not sure.

Also, people should stop using "born this way" as an arguing point. Aside from the fact that it diminishes the fact that sexual fluidity is a thing, it really should not matter if you were "born that way" or not. What's worth discussing is that people can't accept the fact that you ARE that way right now.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
23-05-2015, 03:57 PM
(23-05-2015 03:49 PM)Nieko Sx Wrote:  Yes Bucky, indeed they did, perhaps I should guide the christians towards that?

And Whimsy, yes, yes, I agree, why always the sex? Of course some of these people also inform you that gay people should not be allowed around kids - because they are all terrible perverts right? Also on discovering someone of the same sex as oneself is gay one should immediately be wary of them because naturally they fancy everyone indescrimintately. I'm gay ergo I want to sleep with every person of the same sex 'cos gay people just don't have a type or preferences, they just think about the 'bits'.

Perhaps I should start asking some of these folk when they chose to be heterosexual and indeed when they came out as heterosexual. We're not born with a sexual preferance are we?

Yup. I like to ask that. "If you're saying it's a *choice*, than that means YOU could have gone either way". Shuts 'em right up.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Much of the biblical writings were done by the Roman Catholic church beginning in the 1400's. It's the RC church that made the bedrooms their business. It was all about power and control of the masses because the armies weren't big enough to do it. Keep people repressed. That doesn't work as well today because people can read and draw their own conclusions. Did anyone see that Ireland, just hours ago, passed the law that gay marriage was now legal. 68% by popular vote.
23-05-2015, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 06:09 PM by cactus.)
(23-05-2015 04:47 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Did anyone see that Ireland, just hours ago, passed the law that gay marriage was now legal. 68% by popular vote.

Yes, and I saw a lot of whiny, negative comments about it. So much butthurt it's delicious. Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
23-05-2015, 04:56 PM
(23-05-2015 03:50 PM)cactus Wrote:  And yet again, people are conflating homo-romanticism with homosexuality.

When people say "gay" in the context of marriage, they're almost always talking about homo-romanticism, so why the topic of sex even comes up, I'm not sure.

Also, people should stop using "born this way" as an arguing point. Aside from the fact that it diminishes the fact that sexual fluidity is a thing, it really should not matter if you were "born that way" or not. What's worth discussing is that people can't accept the fact that you ARE that way right now.

I hate it when people do that. Reducing a complex relationship down to what's between the legs, completely ignoring the actual PEOPLE involved, is just immature.

And I agree that the "born this way" argument needs to stop. It shouldn't matter whether it's a "choice" or not when it comes to gay rights. It's really just a distraction from the real issue, which is whether religious groups get to force their 'morality' on everyone else through civil law (the answer is no, obviously).

I have hope that I'll be able to get married in my home state of Texas sometime in the near future.

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Helen_Damnation's post
23-05-2015, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 05:44 PM by Nieko Sx.)
(23-05-2015 03:50 PM)cactus Wrote:  And yet again, people are conflating homo-romanticism with homosexuality.

Hi there Cactus,

When you talk of homo-romanticism are you talking about feelings rather than actions? As for sex and marriage, I would think that pretty much every married couple has sex at some point. When talking about gay marriage there seems to be more emphasis on the physical aspect of the union - as Whimsy was saying when people talk about gayness they're often talking of the sex bit rather than the other aspects of a romantic relationship.
Heterosexual marriages rarely face the same scrutiny but to me and my contemporaries, marriage rightly or wrongly assumes some kind of physical union. How many newlyweds are asked 'so when are we going to hear the patter of tiny feet?' or childless couples, "when are you having kids?" even "why don't you have kids?"

Celibacy provokes some strange reactions, I remember speaking with somebody who was completely baffled at the idea that Stephen Fry could be both celibate and gay. Indeed why is it anyone else's business but the people involved in the union? The church is well known for having unhealthy interest in people's sex lives and under the guise of a loving god where nothing is off limits. In the church that finally pushed me over the edge and into the arms of atheism, sexual 'misconduct' got people thrown out of ministries as it sent a bad message.

(23-05-2015 03:50 PM)cactus Wrote:  Also, people should stop using "born this way" as an arguing point. Aside from the fact that it diminishes the fact that sexual fluidity is a thing, it really should not matter if you were "born that way" or not. What's worth discussing is that people can't accept the fact that you ARE that way right now.

My 'born this way' comment was kind of an afterthought - if homosexuality can be 'changed' or prayed away, did that person decide at some point to be gay, the idea that you can 'pray away the gay' implies some sort of reboot of the person's sexuality. And if homosexuality is to be regarded as a choice then it would follow that heterosexuality is also a choice.
How does the concept of sexual fluidity work in a society that likes things in nice neat boxes? To discuss sexual fluidity is it not useful to look to infancy and consider whether babies are born asexual or is heterosexuality a default setting?
A gay friend of mine in the church says she can't help it she simply prefers women to men implying it's not a choice, she was 'born that way' which does make it relevant to the now especially when she is being made to feel unwelcome and shunned on the basis of something that she considers is just a part of who she is as is the colour of her hair and eyes.