Gay marriage fight almost over?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Gay marriage fight almost over?
For the Full Story
Gay

Quote:WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court is getting back in the marriage business.

The justices agreed Friday to decide a major civil rights question: whether same-sex couples have a right to marry everywhere in America under the Constitution.

The court will take up gay-rights cases that ask it to overturn bans in four states and declare for the entire nation that people can marry the partners of their choice, regardless of gender. The cases will be argued in April, and a decision is expected by late June.

The court chose not to decide this issue in 2013, even as it struck down part of a federal anti-gay marriage law that paved the way for a wave of lower court rulings across the country in favor of same-sex marriage rights.

This sounds really promising. If they win in this case and they rule that it is constitutional, the ruling will be applied to all states and all counties regardless of other state and judicial powers and rulings. Which will mean that the fight for a long awaited for basic human right to be given to a group of people persecuted for many years will finally be given to them.

We can only but have hope that this turns out good instead of setting us back another dozen or so years.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2015, 05:07 PM
RE: Gay marriage fight almost over?
Saw a similar story a day or so back. Hopefully it goes well.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-01-2015, 05:16 PM
(17-01-2015 04:42 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  For the Full Story
Gay

Quote:WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court is getting back in the marriage business.

The justices agreed Friday to decide a major civil rights question: whether same-sex couples have a right to marry everywhere in America under the Constitution.

The court will take up gay-rights cases that ask it to overturn bans in four states and declare for the entire nation that people can marry the partners of their choice, regardless of gender. The cases will be argued in April, and a decision is expected by late June.

The court chose not to decide this issue in 2013, even as it struck down part of a federal anti-gay marriage law that paved the way for a wave of lower court rulings across the country in favor of same-sex marriage rights.

This sounds really promising. If they win in this case and they rule that it is constitutional, the ruling will be applied to all states and all counties regardless of other state and judicial powers and rulings. Which will mean that the fight for a long awaited for basic human right to be given to a group of people persecuted for many years will finally be given to them.

We can only but have hope that this turns out good instead of setting us back another dozen or so years.

I feel very hopeful about this !!!! Smile

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
17-01-2015, 05:20 PM
I didn't know the Supreme Court had that power.

What's next, legal polygamy!!!!!!????? Oh the humanity! How dare the government legally recognize safe, consensual partnerships between people who I assume (because I don't live in their bedroom, but I sure as hell like to fantasize about their private sex lives when I see them holding hands on the bus) are having the kind of sex that's against my God's will!!!

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
17-01-2015, 05:37 PM
From what a coworker says, this sort of debauchery will now lead to marriage to animals, children, and objects.

Evil_monster
17-01-2015, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2015 06:00 PM by cactus.)
(17-01-2015 05:37 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  From what a coworker says, this sort of debauchery will now lead to marriage to animals, children, and objects.

Evil_monster

Yeah, because all three are great at consenting to things they don't understand. Also, have fun trying to report your pet ferret's income on your joint tax return.
IMO, post-pubescent children and the mentally impaired (or I guess even physically impaired to the point where the they're unable to communicate their desires in a clear way) would be the only actually debatable cases to bring up in a slippery slope argument, and would definitely have to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

17-01-2015, 05:52 PM
(17-01-2015 05:37 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  From what a coworker says, this sort of debauchery will now lead to marriage to animals, children, and objects.

Evil_monster

I'm gonna marry my dog. I'm getting a prenup. If he poops on the rug, it's over.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-01-2015, 05:59 PM

Evil_monster

Last I checked, objects was already a thing. I remember there's at least one woman who's married to the Eiffel Tower.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-01-2015, 06:04 PM
(17-01-2015 05:59 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Last I checked, objects was already a thing. I remember there's at least one woman who's married to the Eiffel Tower.

I really hope they haven't consummated the marriage.

Gasp
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
17-01-2015, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2015 06:19 PM by cactus.)
(17-01-2015 06:04 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 05:59 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Last I checked, objects was already a thing. I remember there's at least one woman who's married to the Eiffel Tower.

I really hope they haven't consummated the marriage.

Gasp

Quote:The heat of my body is flowing into her cold steel, and the cold of her steel is flowing into my body.
She may understand true love, but she clearly doesn't understand the basics of heat transfer. Maybe she can use some of her new wife's income to enroll herself in a thermodynamics 101 course.

Also, I wonder what she'd name the baby. Steely Dan? Robert Ingotsoll?

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post