"Gay marriage makes Jesus cry"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2013, 08:45 AM
RE: "Gay marriage makes Jesus cry"
(28-02-2013 08:03 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Vosur, You are mistaken about what a valid argument is. Here, watch this short video and it will educate you on what is a valid argument.

Fair enough, but that only means that I have to alter my terminology slightly. In that case, the correct wording of my criticism would be that while your argument is valid, it is not a sound argument.

Wikipedia Wrote:A sound argument is a valid argument whose conclusion follows from its premise(s), and the premise(s) of the argument are true.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument#Soundness

Wikipedia Wrote:An argument is sound if and only if
  1. The argument is valid.
  2. All of its premises are true.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundness

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2013, 09:12 AM
"Gay marriage makes Jesus cry"
I'm still stunned by the realization that this is a theist...who chose the handle he did. Unexpected?

In fact, I find it more likely this person is actually not a theist.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
28-02-2013, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 09:42 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(28-02-2013 08:45 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Fair enough, but that only means that I have to alter my terminology slightly. In that case, the correct wording of my criticism would be that while your argument is valid, it is not a sound argument.

Wikipedia Wrote:A sound argument is a valid argument whose conclusion follows from its premise(s), and the premise(s) of the argument are true.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument#Soundness

Wikipedia Wrote:An argument is sound if and only if
  1. The argument is valid.
  2. All of its premises are true.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundness

I'm afraid you will have to do more than alter your terminology. You made a claim. You claimed that my argument wasn't sound because, presumably, one or more premises wasn't true. You say the burden is on me to show they are true, and you are correct if I am claiming my argument is strong. However, I am not claiming my argument is strong. I have admitted that the premises(premise 1 one at least) are not demonstrated facts and only opinions. It may be that my premises are true, so it may be that my conclusion is true, and thus it maybe that my argument is indeed sound.

Now, until you show one of the premises to be false, are you really in a position to say that a person who claims heterosexuality is preferrable to homosexuality is wrong?

Insults From Thinkingatheists forgiven 149
28-02-2013, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 09:45 AM by Vosur.)
(28-02-2013 09:29 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm afraid you will have to do more than alter your terminology. You made a claim. You claimed that my argument wasn't sound because, presumably, one or more premises wasn't true. You say the burden is on me to show they are true, and you are correct if I am claiming my argument is strong. However, I am not claiming my argument is strong. I have admitted that the premises(premise 1 one at least) are not demonstrated facts and only opinions. It may be that my premises are true, so it may be that my conclusion is true, and thus it maybe that my argument is indeed sound.
Thanks for clarifying your position. Since you don't claim that your argument is sound, I have no further objections.

(28-02-2013 09:29 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Now, until you show one of premises to be false, are you really in a position to say that a person who claims heterosexuality is preferrable to homosexuality is wrong?
No, but what I can say is that this is merely their opinion.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-02-2013, 09:44 AM
What do you mean by love? What it seems most people believe as love these days had nothing to do with the act of procreation or even marriage in many societies in human history. It wasn't really until the post-victorian era did the idea of loving marriage get confounded.

It was probably better for society for the healthiest male specimen to procreate with the most female companions.

Several members of society are going to be genetically weaker or with diseases/genetic illness.. For all of them to have the equal opportunity to mate as long as they love one partner, means that society is best off not worrying about the negatives as long as loving relationships make up the idea of procreation. It builds a narrow view of what is the best idea for a society based on 20th century ideals.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson