Gays Gaining Ground

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Rainbow Gays Gaining Ground
On Wednesday night, the governor of Arizona, Jan Brewer, vetoed the state's anti-gay bill that would have allowed business owners with religious convictions to refuse service to homosexuals and lesbians.

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-governor-v...21802.html

The victory in Arizona comes only hours after a federal judge struck down the gay marriage ban in Texas. Unfortunately, the judge has since put his decision on hold to wait for a ruling by a court of appeals. But with a recent string of victories for the LGBT community, I believe we can have confidence that the streak will continue with Texas.

http://news.yahoo.com/federal-judge-stri...44850.html

Religious people need to wake up and realize that this world is changing, and it's not headed in a direction that will have a positive effect on their teachings. They need to understand that their "scriptural" ramblings are no longer heard by society, and necessarily so. As our world grows and our culture advances, we find more and more that faith and ancient religious beliefs do not have a logical place here; and the so-called "solutions" offered by their gods, bibles, temples, and churches are rendered useless. This is where we are headed right now, and it is my sincere hope that the religious community opens its eyes and sees that, soon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 08:26 AM
RE: Gays Gaining Ground
Ramen.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 3 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
27-02-2014, 08:32 AM
I have a sad feeling the bible thumpers are only gonna dig their heels in deeper with their righteous outrage and blame every bad thing on the 'godless'. Dodgy

Our youth seem to be on the right track tho, but it may take a few generations to equal out.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
27-02-2014, 09:25 AM
That plane has lifted off and there is no stopping it now.

Makes me happy - the things we took to the streets for when I was young in the 70s were the gay issue ( So much discrimination it couldn't even be called controversial back then), equal rights for women and legalization of marihuana (also totally impossible then).

All three things have advanced by leaps and bounds as of late. Took a looooong time for all three, but I am sure glad I am able to see some successes in the fights over the issues we broke ground for. Yeah!!!!!! Banana_zorro

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
27-02-2014, 09:37 AM
[Image: 0322-gay-rights-quiz_full_600.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
27-02-2014, 09:40 AM
(27-02-2014 09:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  That plane has lifted off and there is no stopping it now.

Makes me happy - the things we took to the streets for when I was young in the 70s were the gay issue ( So much discrimination it couldn't even be called controversial back then), equal rights for women and legalization of marihuana (also totally impossible then).

All three things have advanced by leaps and bounds as of late. Took a looooong time for all three, but I am sure glad I am able to see some successes in the fights over the issues we broke ground for. Yeah!!!!!! Banana_zorro

We've made progress in all of those issues, but I am sad that the fight must still go on for it. Undecided

Good on you for taking a stand though Thumbsup

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
27-02-2014, 01:55 PM
(27-02-2014 08:24 AM)Ex-Faith Wrote:  The victory in Arizona comes only hours after a federal judge struck down the gay marriage ban in Texas. Unfortunately, the judge has since put his decision on hold to wait for a ruling by a court of appeals. But with a recent string of victories for the LGBT community, I believe we can have confidence that the streak will continue with Texas.

I'm hoping it does so in Michigan, as well. Sadly, I voted for the ban a decade ago, but at least it's up for review this week.

(27-02-2014 08:32 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I have a sad feeling the bible thumpers are only gonna dig their heels in deeper with their righteous outrage and blame every bad thing on the 'godless'. Dodgy

They will. It will further fracture into fundamentalists and a much more accepting branch. The accepting branch will continue to become more normalized while the fundamentalists will be relegated more and more to the lunatic fringe. Still, it won't stop them from being extremely vocal in the media because, lol ratings. All the while, the total percentage of adherents will continue to drop.

I guarantee they'll dig their heels in deeper. There are a non-zero number of extremists who believe their failings are because they're not extreme enough. You can see this same sentiment in the the Republican party currently. After the defeat in the 2012 election, followed by debacles like the government shutdown, most Republicans are looking for ways to moderate and grow their base, yet a solid minority think they compromised too much and the only way forward is further to the right.

They'll do a lot of damage to their party before they're properly jettisoned.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
27-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Although I do believe that there are much larger issues facing America, and that we are only occupying ourselves with the smallest of problems, getting this one out of the way will surely lead in the advancement of our society, even if it only helps by ridding it from the national platter of problems.

I'm completely apathetic to your sexual preference, and, as long as you are a pleasant human being, I will give you my undoubted respect.

However, I do absolutely despise individuals who feel it necessary to tell everyone of their sexual preference (gay or straight), because I have never felt the need to tell others that of mine, and I believe that it should be something that is only revealed when absolutely necessary. With this belief, every hardcore liberal seems to desire the act of calling me a homophobe, but I am entirely non-homophobic, just as I am not afraid of my fellow man, I am not afraid of my fellow man who shares a different preference.
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
27-02-2014, 08:28 PM
(27-02-2014 08:24 AM)Ex-Faith Wrote:  Religious people need to wake up and realize that this world is changing, and it's not headed in a direction that will have a positive effect on their teachings. They need to understand that their "scriptural" ramblings are no longer heard by society, and necessarily so. As our world grows and our culture advances, we find more and more that faith and ancient religious beliefs do not have a logical place here; and the so-called "solutions" offered by their gods, bibles, temples, and churches are rendered useless. This is where we are headed right now, and it is my sincere hope that the religious community opens its eyes and sees that, soon.

That depends on which religious community you are referring to.

The average religious adherent in the western world has gotten with the program and confined their beliefs to the private sphere. The fundamentalist proselytizers, on the other hand, are a reactionary group; they were born in response to the ever-progressing liberalization that has been a trademark of modernity. They won't open their eyes, they will shout and scream to the very end when their movement crumbles.

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-02-2014, 09:51 PM
(27-02-2014 08:32 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I have a sad feeling the bible thumpers are only gonna dig their heels in deeper with their righteous outrage and blame every bad thing on the 'godless'. Dodgy

Our youth seem to be on the right track tho, but it may take a few generations to equal out.

Give it enough time after their battle is completely lost, and those same bible thumpers will claim credit for gay rights. That will be the only way they can reconcile their faith with the actual world they live in.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post