Genderless Marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Genderless Marriage
***I'm taking this from my comments in a previous thread, which I had made after the thread had been buried. It was recommended that I start a new one, so, here goes:*******

Why defining marriage as between a man and woman is constitutional:

Some food for thought to start: The high court of France has indeed found it constitutional to restrict marriage to man and woman. This is in a country that embraces the political doctrine of allowing no entity (like church) between a citizen and the state. So, there must be some explicit and implicit reasoning outside of religion which supports the idea. And before anyone points it out, yes, I know France is different and has no authority over US law, obviously. Yet I do have immense respect for the French and their fairly consistent ability to analyze sides of an argument. Watch the daily French news programs and talking heads and (if they understood the language) many Americans would be bored to tears, while there actually is a French audience for long, drawn-out philosophical exchanges.

Ok. So, I do oppose "genderless" marriage, where marriage is defined without consideration of the gender of either party.

This is constitutional because equal treatment applies to treating like groups the same, and there is no type of human relationship quite like that of a heterosexual couple, and the difference--procreation through sexual relations--is significant and impactful to society.

Why same-sex or "genderless" marriage is harmful:

The harm is that such a concept divorces sex from marriage. IMO a primary reason for state involvement in marriage is much like a stop sign at a busy intersection, it can communicate to people the importance of confining a heterosexual relationship within a marital relationship. Once "sex" is divorced from the concept of "marriage" it can no longer serve as such a signal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 07:12 AM
RE: Genderless Marriage
So I repeat what said before:

It's marriage that divorces sex from marriage.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-02-2014, 07:12 AM
You know that the French constitution is different to the US constitution, right? This isn't a question of French law having any kind of authority over US law. Constitutionality is determined by compliance to a particular constitution. These are different documents for France and the US. Constitutionality in one country is irrelevant to constitutionality in another country unless the two constitutions contain comparable constitutional clauses.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-02-2014, 07:15 AM
(13-02-2014 07:12 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  You know that the French constitution is different to the US constitution, right? This isn't a question of French law having any kind of authority over US law. Constitutionality is determined by compliance to a particular constitution. These are different documents for France and the US.

I acknowledged that in my post and continued with the point of the reference to France.
13-02-2014, 07:18 AM
(13-02-2014 07:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So I repeat what said before:

Drinking Beverage

Thanks for immigrating over to the new post.

Married couples do tend to have sex more frequently.
13-02-2014, 07:19 AM
Hi BeccaBoo
I live in France and I can't find any reference to same sex marriage being ruled unconstitutional here. Could you provide me with an article or something please.
I do know that the new law which was passed last year allowing same sex marriages was challenged in the constitutional court and ruled to be constitutional. Has that now been reversed?
Thanks.
Rose
[+] 2 users Like englishrose's post
13-02-2014, 07:31 AM
(13-02-2014 07:18 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 07:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So I repeat what said before:

Drinking Beverage

Thanks for immigrating over to the new post.

Married couples do tend to have sex more frequently.

With a sample size of 1... I'd say: Nah!

Please provide data.

Cheers.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
13-02-2014, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2014 07:37 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Provide also the study that proves that married couples have sex more frequently than same sex couples, or any other couples, and how and why that, (frequency of sex) is a value that needs to be enshrined in law. There is no such thing as "genderless" marriage, you idiot. Are you proposing hermaphrodites ONLY be allowed to marry, or eunuchs only be allowed to marry, or asexuals ONLY be allowed to marry. I think someone has not a clue what the fuck she's going on about.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

13-02-2014, 07:34 AM
(13-02-2014 07:19 AM)englishrose Wrote:  Hi BeccaBoo
I live in France and I can't find any reference to same sex marriage being ruled unconstitutional here. Could you provide me with an article or something please.
I do know that the new law which was passed last year allowing same sex marriages was challenged in the constitutional court and ruled to be constitutional. Has that now been reversed?
Thanks.
Rose

I am referring to the court decision before the new law legalising same-sex marriage. That court decision upheld the ban. Therefore, a ssm ban is not unconsitutional in France, but as of now same-sex marriage law is also not unconstitutional.

I live in France, too. Hi from Alsace! Smile
13-02-2014, 07:38 AM
(13-02-2014 07:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Provide also the study that proves that married couples have sex more frequently than same sex couples, and how and why that, (frequency of sex) is a value that needs to be enshrined in law. There is no such thing as "genderless" marriage, you idiot. Are you proposing hermaphrodites ONLY be allowed to marry, or eunuchs only be allowed to marry, or asexuals ONLY be allowed to marry. I think someone has not a clue what the fuck she's going on about.

Goodness, please read my post to know what I mean by "genderless" marriage.

I didn't claim married couples have more sex than same-sex couples.