Genderless Marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 10:50 AM
RE: Genderless Marriage
(15-07-2015 10:34 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  The only logical definition for marriage is between one man and one woman.

Marriage, in the legal sense, is a contract between two consenting adults. There is nothing about that part of it that requires the people to be opposite sex.

In the romantic sense it is a mutual promise to love and support each other and to share lives. Nothing about that requires them to be opposite sex.

I don't care what it means in a religious sense since religion is a relative late-comer to marriage and every religion has its own view of it and every religion is nonsense anyway. If your religious beliefs don't accept gay marriage then don't marry somebody of the same sex but stop trying to impose your beliefs on anybody else. Somebody doing something that doesn't cause harm is simply none of your business.

Quote:Otherwise you can marry a tree if you want to. All you need is the right size branch or the right size knothole and you are good to go.

What part of "two consenting adults" is so hard to understand?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
15-07-2015, 10:56 PM
(15-07-2015 10:34 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  The only logical definition for marriage is between one man and one woman.
Otherwise you can marry a tree if you want to. All you need is the right size branch or the right size knothole and you are good to go.

A smiley would help to show that this is humor. It is humor, right? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Still waiting to marry my cat.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
22-07-2015, 05:31 AM
"The only logical definition for marriage is between one man and one woman"

Just as well I'm not a particularly logical person then isn't it? Tongue

Personally, I believe marriage is generally between two people but that's just my humble opinion on it. Gay marriage is now legal in Scotland so it's all good as far as I'm concerned Big Grin
22-07-2015, 06:22 AM
(13-02-2014 10:43 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 09:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes

Becca, why do you care ? If I get married to another guy, how does that affect you ?

I care because in order for same-sex marriage to occur, the legal concept of marriage changes. When the concept changes, the communication changes. In many ways the legal concept functions like a stop sign at a dangerous intersection. If we make that stop sign less visible, then the intersection becomes more dangerous.

What I don't understand is what do you believe the actual consequences here are? How does providing gay couples the opportunity to be married, impact society in a negative way? Is it likely to make heterosexuals less inclined to be married?

Is it likely to make marriage a less attractive option?

Is there any data in support of these negative consequences occurring, in other countries where gay marriage is legal?
22-07-2015, 06:29 AM
(22-07-2015 06:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 10:43 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  I care because in order for same-sex marriage to occur, the legal concept of marriage changes. When the concept changes, the communication changes. In many ways the legal concept functions like a stop sign at a dangerous intersection. If we make that stop sign less visible, then the intersection becomes more dangerous.

What I don't understand is what do you believe the actual consequences here are? How does providing gay couples the opportunity to be married, impact society in a negative way? Is it likely to make heterosexuals less inclined to be married?

Is it likely to make marriage a less attractive option?

Is there any data in support of these negative consequences occurring, in other countries where gay marriage is legal?

Ever hear of Google ? I realize you have no friends, but it wants to be your friend.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-07-2015, 06:39 AM
(22-07-2015 06:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ever hear of Google ?

I'm just trying to make out what the argument here is.

Quote:I realize you have no friends,

No, that's not right. Since we're friends, I can say that I have at least one.
22-07-2015, 06:50 AM
(22-07-2015 06:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 06:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ever hear of Google ?

I'm just trying to make out what the argument here is.

Quote:I realize you have no friends,

No, that's not right. Since we're friends, I can say that I have at least one.

Blush
Shhhhhh.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-07-2015, 10:56 AM

Otherwise you can marry a tree if you want to. All you need is the right size branch or the right size knothole and you are good to go.

Holy shit, I can't believe people really think this.

Tell you what dude, find me a tree that can consent legally and sign a marriage contract, and I'll call off my current engagement and marry that tree.

Oh, and if you really thought that "marry a tree" argument was a real argument, please heed my advice to have a literate friend write sticky-notes and post them up around the house to remind you to breathe, because you may not have the mental horsepower to remember to do it yourself.

Holy shit.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
23-07-2015, 12:07 AM
(22-07-2015 10:56 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

Holy shit, I can't believe people really think this.

Tell you what dude, find me a tree that can consent legally and sign a marriage contract, and I'll call off my current engagement and marry that tree.

Oh, and if you really thought that "marry a tree" argument was a real argument, please heed my advice to have a literate friend write sticky-notes and post them up around the house to remind you to breathe, because you may not have the mental horsepower to remember to do it yourself.

Holy shit.

Calm thy mammaries, brother Rocket, he was a mere drive-by.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post