Gene Therapy is coming soon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2015, 03:21 AM
Gene Therapy is coming soon
I'm going to buy this as soon as it is available.

AAV gene therapy has been around for a long time and safety is no longer a concern when using vectors like Adeno Associative Virus.

If you are interested there is an article here:
http://hplusmagazine.com/2015/05/06/biov...nd-beyond/

Or a 40 min video presentation here:

It should be possible to buy the atherosclerosis therapy in the next 3 years. Will have to fly outside my bureaucracy's circle of control. But fuck the TGA/FDA and various other slow moving incompetent organisations.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post
31-05-2015, 04:03 AM
RE: Gene Therapy is coming soon
The claqueurs were working overtime there.

Makes me think that this was a pitch for cash.

31-05-2015, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2015 06:45 AM by DeepThought.)
(31-05-2015 04:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The claqueurs were working overtime there.

Makes me think that this was a pitch for cash.

The audience was like minded so it was a bit like preaching to the choir. There might have been cash pitching also. My main concern is when will it be out and will it be affordable.

This technology is allot more practical than stem cell tech, easier to mass produce and cheaper and easier to apply with fewer risks. If that is any guide I would say treatment in the early days will still be less than 10,000 per person.

Mass production should drive down the costs. Stem cells are tailored to the individuals cells and this gene therapy doesn't need to be tailor made for each person. That's why this method will easily scale with mass production. Just alter the cells in vivo.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
31-05-2015, 07:39 AM
End aging????

What an incredibly bad idea.

Can you imagine George W Bush still around after several hundred years?????

There's a horror movie script for ya.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-05-2015, 08:44 AM
If you get gene therapy, can you ask your geneticist "Do these genes make my butt look fat ?" Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-05-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm cool with being more robust in the later years, that's for sure. Also, I'm very cool with living to say ... ~150 years. However, any more than that ... I don't think it would be of benefit to the species as a whole.

Consider
Maybe we will need an extra ~50ish years to get our tribalistic bullshit under control. We need to understand what goes on in the brain - why some of us cling to such extreme xenophobia when it's clearly a detriment.

If more time gives us a better chance to evolve a brain that is free of leftover prehistoric firings and misfirings that lead to more fear and destruction ... well fuck, bring it on!

If people just want this research so they can stay looking younger for a lot longer... I guess that's a plus. I just hope those are the ones who have the money to invest. Human ego and vanity seems to be a powerful force for change. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
31-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Telomere lengthening frightens me a bit since it inhibits cellular apoptosis which only encourages any pre-cancerous cells already present. That said, there are already products available for telomerase activation like TA-65.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-05-2015, 10:46 AM
(31-05-2015 10:34 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Telomere lengthening frightens me a bit since it inhibits cellular apoptosis which only encourages any pre-cancerous cells already present. That said, there are already products available for telomerase activation like TA-65.

And there are already boosters like Co Q10 & straight Ubiquinol <-- that shit is the bomb. Yes

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
31-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Is there any way that access can be limited to highly educated people?

It's kinda silly that the useful people in society i.e. the ones with wisdom, get old and die.

Is there any way of helping dumbfucks to die younger?

Consider

31-05-2015, 10:58 AM
(31-05-2015 10:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Is there any way that access can be limited to highly educated people?

It's kinda silly that the useful people in society i.e. the ones with wisdom, get old and die.

Is there any way of helping dumbfucks to die younger?

Consider

Well, in the past ... praying away illness has always been helpful. Wink