Gene Wilder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2016, 07:18 PM
RE: Gene Wilder
(29-08-2016 02:39 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 02:29 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I remember those names from mardi gras...what are they? I remember...knights or something? Bah...old brain.

Comus: Greek gawd of laughter, jokes, etc

Momus: Greek gawd of satire, and mockery (maybe some other shit)

Thaleia: One of the 9 Muses. Named Muse of comedy, & poetry. I think

Ahhh...thanks TG. Bowing I seem to remember something about the knights of Momus or something. Problem is, whenever we go to Nawlins...we end up a bit polluted, lol. Great times!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Quote:but this probably has more to do with my dislike of Mel Brooks-ish comedy, so one can't blame Mr Wilder for the script.

I'm pretty hit-and-miss on Brooks myself, much of it is so childish it's somehow painful to watch. But Gene always managed to bring some depth, some heart, to even the silliest roles. I much prefer his collaborations with Pryor than the bulk of his other work, but he isn't for everyone, no doubt. I think frankenstein is more of a cult classic than a truly good movie, but...it does have some cinematic value, for sure. Big Grin
29-08-2016, 07:35 PM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
29-08-2016, 09:31 PM
My mother owns Young Frankenstein on dvd, watched part of it but never finished. May watch it fully soon.

He will be missed.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-08-2016, 01:44 AM
(29-08-2016 03:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Seems like I'm alone in finding him wincingly unfunny... but this probably has more to do with my dislike of Mel Brooks-ish comedy, so one can't blame Mr Wilder for the script.

Surfing the net tonight after hearing the news, I learnt that he collaborated with Brooks on the script of Young Frankenstein ... which only raises my esteem of him, because I love the absurd.