General question - skeptics annoy me a little

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 06:51 PM
General question - skeptics annoy me a little
I really mean that the way skeptics present themselves annoys me. I am skeptical. I live in NYc
and dislike BS and snake oil salesmen types. In general, I often agree with those who label themselves "skeptics." Just to make it clear- I don't believe aliens ever visited earth. All conspiracy theories I know of seem looney etc.
however, I feel like those who wear the label of skeptic are not skeptical of people in authority. Just an example- It seems like skeptics would have denied that BPA s are bad until the day thry were generally recognized as harmful. Or in the past- the DTP vaccine given up until the 80s is recognized as having caused seizures and other scary side effects. Would skeptics declared that vaccine safe until the CDC stated otherwise? ( I'm not anti- vaccine. ). It just seems that "skeptics" are selectively skeptical. I may be wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 06:56 PM
RE: General question - skeptics annoy me a little
(04-06-2013 06:51 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  I really mean that the way skeptics present themselves annoys me. I am skeptical. I live in NYc
and dislike BS and snake oil salesmen types. In general, I often agree with those who label themselves "skeptics." Just to make it clear- I don't believe aliens ever visited earth. All conspiracy theories I know of seem looney etc.
however, I feel like those who wear the label of skeptic are not skeptical of people in authority. Just an example- It seems like skeptics would have denied that BPA s are bad until the day thry were generally recognized as harmful. Or in the past- the DTP vaccine given up until the 80s is recognized as having caused seizures and other scary side effects. Would skeptics declared that vaccine safe until the CDC stated otherwise? ( I'm not anti- vaccine. ). It just seems that "skeptics" are selectively skeptical. I may be wrong.

I don't think you're wrong entirely. I think that your thinking isn't complete. Skepticism is generally a healthy and honest way of looking at and investigating the world.

The problem is that people can be annoying and selective. Everyone has their own view of the world that is skewed through the different shades of the experiences that they have had, so where one is likely to hold more skepticism in one area, another will not. That's just the way it is, and likely will continue to be.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
04-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks.
04-06-2013, 07:10 PM
No problem whatsoever. Hope I was some help. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-06-2013, 09:46 PM
(04-06-2013 06:51 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  It just seems that "skeptics" are selectively skeptical. I may be wrong.

Skepticism is not selective. Skeptics are even skeptical of skepticism.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-06-2013, 10:57 PM
(04-06-2013 09:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 06:51 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  It just seems that "skeptics" are selectively skeptical. I may be wrong.

Skepticism is not selective. Skeptics are even skeptical of skepticism.

... Data ? Tongue
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
05-06-2013, 03:19 PM
It depends on what you mean by sceptic. If "someone whose confidence in claims depends upon the evidence behind those claims", then I think it is a straightforward good thing ™. Those who don't look at things as black and white, open and shut but care enough to question what they think they know. More of this should be practiced in our society. But this scepticism is not the same as denialism. Denying everything new that comes in is the opposite of good sceptical thinking, just as much as accepting everything that comes in. Weigh the evidence and weigh it again. That's scepticism.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
05-06-2013, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 06:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-06-2013 10:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 09:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Skepticism is not selective. Skeptics are even skeptical of skepticism.

... Data ? Tongue

hehehehehehe ... stupid canine ... bad dog, bad ... hehehehehehe Big Grin

(05-06-2013 03:19 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Weigh the evidence and weigh it again.

And then check to make sure your scales are properly tared. And then check 'em again. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.