Generalizing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Generalizing
I'm sure everyone here probably knows what it's like to be subject to generalization. Someone grouping together a specific worldview and criticizing it in a broad aspect while consequently including you in this generalization.

Not only are Atheists subject to this, but it also goes the other way as well.

Example: Atheists believe there is no God because they don't like the consequences of a God existing.

Example: All Christians are delusional because they believe in a 'Sky Daddy'.

I am guilty of these kinds of generalizations myself, but I think it's productive to get rid of that habit.
I do, however, see so many people still doing this on a regular basis. I don't see anything wrong with it when it's just for some humor. But when it is the very thing that shapes and molds your worldview, I find that to be hugely dishonest.

I, myself, find it to be much more reasonable to investigate every individual aspect of other worldviews in much more critical ways as to lead to better understanding of it.
Maybe you agree or maybe you disagree, but I believe generalizing is irrational.

Any thoughts?

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ideasonscribe's post
03-08-2012, 10:38 AM
RE: Generalizing
(03-08-2012 10:34 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  I believe generalizing is irrational.

General statement.

Tongue

Everyone builds their own worldview and since there are 7 billion people in the world and you don't want to conduct a personal interview with each one you categorize them in your mind.

Generalizing is helpful most of the time, you just have to ensure that you remember
a. a generalization does not apply to a specific case.
b. I forgot what b was gonna be.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
03-08-2012, 10:40 AM
The second example is not really a generalization if being delusional is the condition for being a Christian. Something like "All Christians hate gay people" would be a better example. Other than that, I'd argee that generalizations are usually irrational and unproductive, especially in a debate.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
03-08-2012, 10:43 AM
(03-08-2012 10:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  Everyone builds their own worldview and since there are 7 billion people in the world and you don't want to conduct a personal interview with each one you categorize them in your mind.

This is true. I'm sure we are not meant to do such a thing.
But I also want to mention that it's important to look at the source of a specific worldview before generalizing.

For example; an Atheist shouldn't give the critique that since these certain Christians are behaving a certain way, this must mean that the Christian worldview is irrational and dangerous.
Just an example, but I hope you see what I mean..

—Jeremy LaBorde
03-08-2012, 10:46 AM
(03-08-2012 10:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The second example is not really a generalization if being delusional is the condition for being a Christian.

This is something I'll have to come back during my next break and talk about.

I think it's good to bring the definition of the word "delusional" to the front and also take into account the reality of worldviews.

I'll be back..

—Jeremy LaBorde
03-08-2012, 11:33 AM
(03-08-2012 10:43 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  For example; an Atheist shouldn't give the critique that since these certain Christians are behaving a certain way, this must mean that the Christian worldview is irrational and dangerous.
Just an example, but I hope you see what I mean..

... Is there a specific incident that you have in mind? There's a lot of fucking stupid shit that gets done in the name of Christianity / religion.
03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Being on the end that you're describing, I understand how frustrating it is.

Hasty generalizations are bad... same with stereotypes.

I'm guilty of this... in fact, Stark had to put me in my place one time because of what I was saying.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
I have noticed that all women generalise but men don't.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
(03-08-2012 11:37 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Being on the end that you're describing, I understand how frustrating it is.

Hasty generalizations are bad... same with stereotypes.

I'm guilty of this... in fact, Stark had to put me in my place one time because of what I was saying.

Only once? Stark must of gotten tired of trying.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
03-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Alright, I'm back for a quick response to Vosur.
I really do have to go quick (10 minute break).

Ok, here is a summary of delusion vs hallucination (for the sake of grasping the definition of delusion. Not necessarily to compare delusion with hallucination):

Delusion vs Hallucination` Wrote:Delusions are a symptom of some mental disorder, such as schizophrenia, delusional disorder, schizoaffective disorder, and schizophreniform disorder. Hallucinations, on the other hand, tend to only appear in people with schizophrenia or a psychotic disorder.
Delusions

Delusions are false or erroneous beliefs that usually involve a misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences. Their content may include a variety of themes (e.g., persecutory, referential, somatic, religious, or grandiose).

Persecutory delusions are most common; the person believes he or she is being tormented, followed, tricked, spied on, or ridiculed. Referential delusions are also common; the person believes that certain gestures, comments, passages from books, newspapers, song lyrics, or other environmental cues are specifically directed at him or her.

The distinction between a delusion and a strongly held idea is sometimes difficult to make and depends in part on the degree of conviction with which the belief is held despite clear contradictory evidence regarding its veracity.

Alright, so I can bet that the last paragraph would be enough for you to say that Christians are delusional.
Of course, I disagree. If I was given "clear contradictory evidence regarding its veracity" then I would probably not be a Christian Theist. The problem being that I have not.
The evidence I have been given has not been enough in contradiction to nullify the probability of god. Because you are an Atheist, I would assume that you disagree complete, as would be expected.

Anyways, I do have to get going now as I am about out of time. I am wondering if there are misconceptions of what being delusional is. If I have a misconception of it, please let me know. So far, it seems every definition points to people who hold on to beliefs regardless of being blatantly proven wrong.

Anyways, back to work!

—Jeremy LaBorde