Generalizing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
RE: Generalizing
Ok, Ideas, that definition seems reasonable to me.
Gotta ask, therefore, what "clear contradictory evidence regarding its veracity" would be enough to convince you?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Drinking Beverage
(03-08-2012 01:03 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok, Ideas, that definition seems reasonable to me.
Gotta ask, therefore, what "clear contradictory evidence regarding its veracity" would be enough to convince you?

Right back atcha DLJ?

What if you heard the voice of God unmistakeably one day?

What if *something* rained fire from the sky...?

I gotta admit, I'd be a. looking for cover b. trying to figure out where the aliens were a long time before I would even half consider reading that rather silly book...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
(03-08-2012 12:52 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Alright, so I can bet that the last paragraph would be enough for you to say that Christians are delusional.
Of course, I disagree. If I was given "clear contradictory evidence regarding its veracity" then I would probably not be a Christian Theist. The problem being that I have not.
The evidence I have been given has not been enough in contradiction to nullify the probability of god. Because you are an Atheist, I would assume that you disagree complete, as would be expected.
Then you've been looking at the wrong places. Would you like me to refer you to the arguments refuting the christian god's existence?

(03-08-2012 12:52 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Anyways, I do have to get going now as I am about out of time. I am wondering if there are misconceptions of what being delusional is. If I have a misconception of it, please let me know. So far, it seems every definition points to people who hold on to beliefs regardless of being blatantly proven wrong.
The definition of delusional that you posted is fine. Anyway, Christians have been proven blatantly wrong over and over again. You've been here long enough to know this. The attributes ascribed to god make his own existence self-refuting.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
(03-08-2012 10:43 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 10:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  Everyone builds their own worldview and since there are 7 billion people in the world and you don't want to conduct a personal interview with each one you categorize them in your mind.

This is true. I'm sure we are not meant to do such a thing.
But I also want to mention that it's important to look at the source of a specific worldview before generalizing.

For example; an Atheist shouldn't give the critique that since these certain Christians are behaving a certain way, this must mean that the Christian worldview is irrational and dangerous.
Just an example, but I hope you see what I mean..

We are very much meant to generalize. Our brains evolved generalization as a 'good trick' that aids survival. It mostly works.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
(03-08-2012 01:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  Drinking Beverage
(03-08-2012 01:03 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok, Ideas, that definition seems reasonable to me.

Right back atcha DLJ?

What if you heard the voice of God unmistakeably one day?

What if *something* rained fire from the sky...?

I gotta admit, I'd be a. looking for cover b. trying to figure out where the aliens were a long time before I would even half consider reading that rather silly book...

Assuming that the voice of a god or voices of gods were not just in my head (again) I would have change my opinion.
Therefore atheism is falsifiable.
Hence my question to Ideas.

03-08-2012, 01:30 PM
(03-08-2012 01:20 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Assuming that the voice of a god or voices of gods were not just in my head (again) I would have change my opinion.

Missed my point Big Grin The question was not *is* it falsifiable, the question is *under what conditions would you consider it falsified*?

As I said. God would have to write a frikken stringent exam at this stage in my life...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
(03-08-2012 01:30 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 01:20 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Assuming that the voice of a god or voices of gods were not just in my head (again) I would have change my opinion.

Missed my point Big Grin The question was not *is* it falsifiable, the question is *under what conditions would you consider it falsified*?

As I said. God would have to write a frikken stringent exam at this stage in my life...

Didn't miss it.
You suggested: "What if you heard the voice of God unmistakeably one day?"
If it was truly unmistakable, by definition, there would be no mistake. So I would have to accept it.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
(03-08-2012 01:30 PM)morondog Wrote:  

WTF? You don't falsify the negative.

There is no evidence that the assertion "God exists" is true. Therefore, I don't accept it. Bring me evidence and I will consider your assertion.

My non-acceptance of your unverified assertion does not need to be shown to be falsifiable. That is some twisted logic.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-08-2012, 01:44 PM
(03-08-2012 01:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  WTF? You don't falsify the negative.

There is no evidence that the assertion "God exists" is true. Therefore, I don't accept it. Bring me evidence and I will consider your assertion.

My non-acceptance of your unverified assertion does not need to be shown to be falsifiable. That is some twisted logic.Consider

I'm not sure if you got me and are joking or if I'm just not making sense Sadcryface2

I'm saying what is the standard of evidence that you would accept? If I *were* to bring you evidence... it's not really serious, just playing what if games Smile

On a side note, screw you DLJ for being so sharp. It must be 2 in the morning where you are WTH?
03-08-2012, 01:45 PM
(03-08-2012 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm not sure if you got me and are joking or if I'm just not making sense Sadcryface2

I'm saying what is the standard of evidence that you would accept? If I *were* to bring you evidence... it's not really serious, just playing what if games Smile

On a side note, screw you DLJ for being so sharp. It must be 2 in the morning where you are WTH?
How can you even in theory provide evidence for a non-physical being using the tools available in our physical realm? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post