Generalizing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
RE: Generalizing
(03-08-2012 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 01:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  WTF? You don't falsify the negative.

There is no evidence that the assertion "God exists" is true. Therefore, I don't accept it. Bring me evidence and I will consider your assertion.

My non-acceptance of your unverified assertion does not need to be shown to be falsifiable. That is some twisted logic.Consider

I'm not sure if you got me and are joking or if I'm just not making sense Sadcryface2

I'm saying what is the standard of evidence that you would accept? If I *were* to bring you evidence... it's not really serious, just playing what if games Smile

On a side note, screw you DLJ for being so sharp. It must be 2 in the morning where you are WTH?

4am
It's a gift. What can I say?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-08-2012, 01:50 PM
(03-08-2012 01:45 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm not sure if you got me and are joking or if I'm just not making sense Sadcryface2

I'm saying what is the standard of evidence that you would accept? If I *were* to bring you evidence... it's not really serious, just playing what if games Smile

On a side note, screw you DLJ for being so sharp. It must be 2 in the morning where you are WTH?
How can you even in theory provide evidence for a non-physical being using the tools available in our physical realm? Consider

Well, for example, if God would do some actual smiting and show up and say "I'm God, I did it and it was because those fuckers the Muslims were wrong"... If God actually was *visibly* active being the massive dick that he was, would you then at some stage consider the hypothesis that maybe those crazy guys with the book were right? I'd be much more inclined to think that someone was dicking with the human race on a huge scale, but not to accept the book and the necessity of worship or anything...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-08-2012, 01:50 PM
(03-08-2012 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 01:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  WTF? You don't falsify the negative.

There is no evidence that the assertion "God exists" is true. Therefore, I don't accept it. Bring me evidence and I will consider your assertion.

My non-acceptance of your unverified assertion does not need to be shown to be falsifiable. That is some twisted logic.Consider

I'm not sure if you got me and are joking or if I'm just not making sense Sadcryface2

A little of both, maybe? The phrasing "atheism is falsifiable" touched a nerve.Dodgy

As for evidence that God does in fact exist, it would need to be of a very high order.
Shall I drag out "Extraordinary claims ..."?

The evidence would have to be repeated or confirmed or verified beyond any doubt of a scam, a hallucination, a coincidence, aliens, ...

Repeated visual/audio/physical manifestations would be a start.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
(03-08-2012 01:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm not sure if you got me and are joking or if I'm just not making sense Sadcryface2

4am

You could identify the pharmaceuticals involved. Thumbsup

03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
(03-08-2012 01:45 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

How can you even in theory provide evidence for a non-physical being using the tools available in our physical realm? Consider

You can't. That's the point. So the god(s) would have to manifest themselves, Greek-god-like in physical form and do something pretty damned impressive for us to start genuflecting, as Morondog says.

But if they exist it is potentially possible.

What I was asking Ideas was (given all the debates, reference material etc. just on this site) what evidence would it take to convince?

03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I say this 'cos I've got a bit of a hidden gender... Tongue

One of my friend's favourite arguments is "well, you're equally as dogmatic as me, you will never even consider the possibility that you may be wrong"... and my answer turns out to be... yeah, I am pretty damn sure that God as described by everyone I've ever met and as described in the Bible does not exist... and I just wondered what other people's attitudes were Smile
03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
(03-08-2012 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 01:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  4am

You could identify the pharmaceuticals involved. Thumbsup

Ok. Adrenaline... deadline-induced.
That, and the girls having a party in the next room!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-08-2012, 02:00 PM
"... people who hold on to beliefs regardless of being blatantly proven wrong."
Yep. Pretty well, sums up a great majority of Theists I talk with every day. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-08-2012, 03:06 PM
(03-08-2012 01:03 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok, Ideas, that definition seems reasonable to me.
Gotta ask, therefore, what "clear contradictory evidence regarding its veracity" would be enough to convince you?

To convince me that God did not exist?
It's hard to think of what would convince me...
I guess having exhaustive knowledge of all things that do and do not exist would be enough.
But then again.. If I have that kind of knowledge, I might as well consider myself divine.
The mere existence of the Universe continues to reinforce my belief that it's probable that something capable of creating something like this exists.

Now if you want to know what would convince me that Christianity is blatantly false, there are quite a few things that would convince me.
An example would be proving the resurrection to be false.

Alright, now to start responding to others...
Shocking

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
03-08-2012, 03:11 PM
(03-08-2012 03:06 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 01:03 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok, Ideas, that definition seems reasonable to me.
Gotta ask, therefore, what "clear contradictory evidence regarding its veracity" would be enough to convince you?

To convince me that God did not exist?
It's hard to think of what would convince me...
I guess having exhaustive knowledge of all things that do and do not exist would be enough.
But then again.. If I have that kind of knowledge, I might as well consider myself divine.
The mere existence of the Universe continues to reinforce my belief that it's probable that something capable of creating something like this exists.

Now if you want to know what would convince me that Christianity is blatantly false, there are quite a few things that would convince me.
An example would be proving the resurrection to be false.

Alright, now to start responding to others...
Shocking

There is no evidence for the resurrection. The unverified stories in the Bible are not evidence.