Generalizing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 03:16 PM
RE: Generalizing
(03-08-2012 11:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... Is there a specific incident that you have in mind? There's a lot of freakn stupid junk that gets done in the name of Christianity / religion.

Westboro Baptist Church Picketing is an example.
There are people who generalize in saying that Christians believe that God hates Homosexuals.
In my understanding of Scripture, God does not hate gay people He hates the behavior.

[Image: 313579_482258495135005_1444583866_n.jpg]

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ideasonscribe's post
03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
(03-08-2012 03:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no evidence for the resurrection. The unverified stories in the Bible are not evidence.

Was that your attempt at convincing me Chas? Laughat

—Jeremy LaBorde
03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
(03-08-2012 03:16 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 11:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... Is there a specific incident that you have in mind? There's a lot of freakn stupid junk that gets done in the name of Christianity / religion.

Westboro Baptist Church Picketing is an example.
There are people who generalize in saying that Christians believe that God hates Homosexuals.
In my understanding of Scripture, God does not hate gay people He hates the behavior.

I don't think you need to be worried that Christians in general will be mistaken for WBC.

Oh incidentally nice edit to my post Wink Can't bear to swear even if you're quoting hey? No worries. I actually like a guy who keeps it clean. More than I can manage.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
(03-08-2012 03:16 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  In my understanding of Scripture, God does not hate gay people He hates the behavior.

Uhm, but the penalty is death.

If you hated what someone was doing, but didn't hate the person that was doing it... does the termination of their life sound like an appropriate response? I mean... even a blood-thirsty evil god would settle for castration.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Red Celt's post
03-08-2012, 03:33 PM
(03-08-2012 03:06 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 01:03 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok, Ideas, that definition seems reasonable to me.
Gotta ask, therefore, what "clear contradictory evidence regarding its veracity" would be enough to convince you?

To convince me that God did not exist?
It's hard to think of what would convince me...
I guess having exhaustive knowledge of all things that do and do not exist would be enough.
But then again.. If I have that kind of knowledge, I might as well consider myself divine.
The mere existence of the Universe continues to reinforce my belief that it's probable that something capable of creating something like this exists.

Now if you want to know what would convince me that Christianity is blatantly false, there are quite a few things that would convince me.
An example would be proving the resurrection to be false.

Alright, now to start responding to others...
Shocking

1) Is that a black and white kinda thing regarding exhaustive knowledge or is it a scale? Meaning... do you need to suddenly have all knowledge or does each scientific discovery that adds to the collective body of knowledge gradually chip away at your resolve?

2) I guess you must have already dismissed what others would take as obvious e.g. the resurrection was invented (or this cult would have been dismissed at the time like all the others) for promotional / team-building purposes, so I won't bother with that or the lack of evidence for it or the contradictions about it between the gospels. Instead, let's accept for a minute that it happened. So what? It seemed to happen a lot in those days (all the graves opened etc.). How does coming back to life prove divinity? And so much for dying for dem sins... no death... no save!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
(03-08-2012 03:16 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  In my understanding of Scripture, God does not hate gay people He hates the behavior.

Whoops. Missed this bit. Ideas... *who cares what God likes*? *Forget* that he hates homosexual behaviour. What do *you* think about it?

Gays get a *fucking raw deal* just... oh fuck I said fuck... a *freaking raw deal* just because of some stupid verses written in a ridiculous book about an invisible being who apparently doesn't like such behaviour.

Stop caring what idiot God wants. If he hates them so much, let him sort it all out *after* they die. Or is it that they might "corrupt the youth"? Here's a hint. *Socrates* was executed 2000 odd years ago for "corrupting the youth". The youth remain relatively OK when they're not having poisonous ideas put in their heads.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-08-2012, 03:56 PM
(03-08-2012 03:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  I don't think you need to be worried that Christians in general will be mistaken for WBC.

Oh incidentally nice edit to my post Wink Can't bear to swear even if you're quoting hey? No worries. I actually like a guy who keeps it clean. More than I can manage.

Shoot, the variety of different ways Christians are generalized, I wouldn't be surprised if some people mistook Christianity for funeral picketers

And yeah, I censored the quote of yours lol
That may seem weird, and it's the first time I've done it here, but I thought I might should do that since it is under my name that I am quoting you and all.. lol

—Jeremy LaBorde
[+] 1 user Likes ideasonscribe's post
03-08-2012, 03:58 PM
(03-08-2012 03:56 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 03:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  I don't think you need to be worried that Christians in general will be mistaken for WBC.

Shoot, the variety of different ways Christians are generalized, I wouldn't be surprised if some people mistook Christianity for funeral picketers

That may seem weird, and it's the first time I've done it here, but I thought I might should do that since it is under my name that I am quoting you and all.. lol

It's OK I don't mind. Other people might get bleak Wink Now BE GAY Angry I've decided that's the path of tolerance for you Tongue
03-08-2012, 03:59 PM
(03-08-2012 03:56 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  

Of course, it is then no longer a quote.

It is dishonest to change someone's words unless you note it. It has to be obvious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-08-2012, 04:03 PM
(03-08-2012 03:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  Of course, it is then a quote.

It is honest to change someone's words if you note it.

Yeah, maybe if you're worried about swearing do the little *** thing. That's the standard way of doing it and it leaves a clear visual clue that the quote has been changed. Now I have to run away before Chas kills me Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post