Generally accepted 'ideal' personality traits

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Generally accepted 'ideal' personality traits
Since I was in the coffee house getting a large double-double I thought I would pose a question, this goes in line with a little pet project of mine.
So. Everyone, what would you classify as positive personality traits?
I'd like to say "whats your idea of perfect?" but I'm afraid I'll probably only get crap about "perfection is in the eye of the beholder" and "you'll live a sad lonely life if you try to figure people out" Dodgy
Thats a cop-out in my opinion, a way for people to answer it without giving it any real thought.
aaaand as an added question, what would you say are generally seen negative traits?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2010, 07:37 PM
RE: Generally accepted 'ideal' personality traits
Positive traits are the traits that don't annoy me. Negative traits are the ones they do. And, it varies from person to person. Something I find annoying in a full grown adult I may find entertaining from my 7 or 9 year old. Or, in different circumstances from another adult I may find it ok as well.

I have a colleague who I've gotten pretty close with over the years and he has what many would consider the negative trait of telling you detailed stories about the mundane aspects of his life. It's not that I'm not interested in as much as he can't really get to the point and he goes into such detail that your eyes just glaze over. He's not the only person I've met who does this and with anyone else I'll find a reason to excuse myself and walk away. With this individual, though, I don't. The reason is because he's a great guy, would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it, and he is a genuine friend. So, I deal with it and, in all honesty, I guess when he does this it does not annoy me all that much.

Beyond that little story (and perhaps giving a little story instead of just answering the question is a "negative" trait), I don't think there is an answer to your question. We are all individuals and there will be things about all of us that annoy some people. There are certain behaviors that annoy me more than others, but it usually depends on the person as much as the trait.

This probably didn't help. Sorry. That's probably an annoying trait too.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-09-2010, 07:42 PM
(05-09-2010 07:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  This probably didn't help. Sorry. That's probably an annoying trait too.

lol thats ok dude, I'm a -mostly- tolerant person.
Ideal personality traits do exist and can be defined as attributes generally seen by majority of people as positive or beneficiary to others.
I have a list already but I'm looking for additional input, can't work on a project about majority opinion when all you have is your own xD

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

05-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I'd put "people who answer questions" as a positive trait. People who did what I do probably lists as a negative.

05-09-2010, 07:48 PM
(05-09-2010 07:47 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'd put "people who answer questions" as a positive trait. People who did what I do probably lists as a negative.

lol fair enough buddy fair enough, yes I'll agree answering my question to the best of your abilities is a positive.

05-09-2010, 07:51 PM
ok, I'll stop being a jerk. I'm not sure what you're trying to get out here. If you can elaborate some I'll see if I can provide a genuine answer.

05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
(05-09-2010 07:51 PM)BnW Wrote:  ok, I'll stop being a jerk. I'm not sure what you're trying to get out here. If you can elaborate some I'll see if I can provide a genuine answer.

Its just what I wrote above. I'm trying to figure out exactly what people -or at least western culture- consider positive personality traits, if you want you can dumb it down to "what is you're definition of perfect" I don't like using that for the previously stated and that it sets a negative in my mind of some overconfident muscley smart-mouth.

05-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't know if it's generally accepted or not, but my definition of an ideal person...

Optimistic, a good thinking nature, funny and able to keep a conversation, generally accepting of differences, a great smile, intolerant of intolerable acts (I know that's vague, but I don't really know how to extrapolate on that...), and hell, why not have a nice body? Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2010, 09:01 PM
As requested, I won't get into the philosophical mess of perfection. I get what you are asking. I want to analyzing with my incredibly impersonal style, so I will. Positive personality traits would be anything that helps a community as a whole survive and thrive. Some things would be compassion, generosity, sympathy, understanding, and over things that aids you to communicate and help the people around you. Specifics would vary with environments. Negative traits would be just the opposite, harming a community as whole. These would largely be seen in selfish traits, such as excessive greed.

Moving into human society, and not just a vague community, I would say that tolerance and respect are the biggest things. The ability to look at your fellow man and accept them for exactly who they are. This is a two way street too. If someone is detrimental to society, we need to recognize that too.

Random side note. This is my 500th post. Watch out Unbeliever, I'm halfway there.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
05-09-2010, 11:20 PM

I think our culture views extroversion as a strongly positive trait. Most popular TV characters are outgoing and gregarious. Introversion is generally viewed as nerdy. Being optimistic is seen as a positive, and being debbie downer is negative. Being spontaneous is "cool", while being organized and planned makes people wonder how you got so old so fast.

I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but there it is.
Quote this message in a reply