Genes linked to intelligence??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2012, 01:47 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 01:53 AM by satan69.)
Genes linked to intelligence??
They have proved what I already knew- that genes are linked to intelligence. This should have been obvious. I don't think Einstein worked any harder to be that smart. He just always was.Like Lebron in BBall. This is more evidence of what I realized as i reached my late 20's and 30's: life is one god damn lottery ticket. you really have no control over what you become to a certain extent. its all who your parents are,country born, genes,upbringing, nature, nurture, rich , poor... the list goes on. It just seems like life is a fucking joke and really is all luck. we all think we are better than this or that person, but if the people on this forum were born in Somalia, we would be completely different people. Life really isnt fair.

http://www.livescience.com/19692-genes-b...gence.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2012, 02:36 AM
RE: Genes linked to intelligence??
I agree life isn't fair. I don't agree life is a joke or that it's all luck, not for a second. There are people with mental handicaps that are happier than people who's intelligence is far superior. Is it all about how much you know? Or is it about how you react and what you do with what you know and posses? Maybe where one goes from here.

Sure, some things might make life easier. But there are many diamonds in the rough. Stupid is as stupid does, as Forrest would say. I am sure there is some due credit for Einstein. I bet there are many intelligent people like him, today. And the concepts he came up with we can understand (we are smart enough to). But he took the interest, he took the initiative and he connected the dots. Same with Darwin. And some people who posses these intelligent traits have thrown it away, all their potential gone. Maybe by drugs, maybe by being lazy or maybe a poor attitude. And yes, some people can be explained these a million times and not get them ever, those connections never make it in their mind.

We may not all be prodigies, but we can work hard to get closer to where we want to be- and then who is the one who has earned it, learned it and got the most from all this?
16-04-2012, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 04:37 AM by DeepThought.)
(16-04-2012 01:47 AM)satan69 Wrote:  They have proved what I already knew- that genes are linked to intelligence. This should have been obvious. I don't think Einstein worked any harder to be that smart. He just always was.Like Lebron in BBall. This is more evidence of what I realized as i reached my late 20's and 30's: life is one god damn lottery ticket. you really have no control over what you become to a certain extent. its all who your parents are,country born, genes,upbringing, nature, nurture, rich , poor... the list goes on. It just seems like life is a fucking joke and really is all luck. we all think we are better than this or that person, but if the people on this forum were born in Somalia, we would be completely different people. Life really isnt fair.

No way. This is a HUGE oversimplification. For starters Einstein had a smaller brain than the average human. Also in terms of compute potential the difference between the village idiot and einstein is comparably small. The compute requirements for things like navigating though a 3d environment and recognising obscured objects is massive and many of us do this without effort.

The study you linked to is one single study talking about one aspect in human intelligence. We are still miles away from understanding all the genes that effect intelligence and how they interact with each other and what affects the gene variations will have.

We don't even know most of the genes/gene variants/gene interactions involved to conclusively nail down autism so how do you expect this to be the final nail in the coffin for inherited intelligence?

There is LOTS of solid evidence that shows environmental factors having a large impact on intelligence. EG: children not being exposed to diseases that cause high fevers by giving them vaccinations against things like mumps, rubella, etc.. The nutrition of the mother - omega 3 in diet... Things like this in combination can influence intelligence by 15-20%

It only takes a few percent to make the difference between the village idiot and Einstein.

Most of our brain is dedicated to running the body. We are large mammals so lots of neurons act as amplifiers to boost the signal going to muscles. What do you think elephants do with their large brains? If we understand intelligence it's quite clear that most of our brain is not helping with higher functioning/conciousness/self-awareness.

Birds have a brain the size of a walnut and some of them have the self-awareness/intellect of a 4yo child. We are still far away from closing the books on this stuff.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
16-04-2012, 04:38 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 04:53 AM by satan69.)
I just dont believe that getting a perfect score on your sat like bill gates and the facebook founder was somehow all their hard work over the rest of us. i believe it is genes combined with nurture. even bad nurture can produce a unabomber-smart and crazy. bin laden- evil genius. i really believe people are born really smart and nurture dictates what they do with it. take einstein and give him
this guys childhood and we have a different story. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0524150/bio

lets say there was a god- wouldnt it be unfair that someone is born into great circumstances and is not sent to hell but someone born in horrible condition is sent to hell because he killed 50 people because of his upbringing. seems like as science continues to improve, christians will have alot of explaining to do.
16-04-2012, 05:00 AM
If you don't think Einstein worked hard, you should review his record.http://youtu.be/hSgIDgGpRpk
16-04-2012, 05:24 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 05:44 AM by Antirepublican.)
(16-04-2012 01:47 AM)satan69 Wrote:  They have proved what I already knew- that genes are linked to intelligence. This should have been obvious. I don't think Einstein worked any harder to be that smart. He just always was.Like Lebron in BBall. This is more evidence of what I realized as i reached my late 20's and 30's: life is one god damn lottery ticket. you really have no control over what you become to a certain extent. its all who your parents are,country born, genes,upbringing, nature, nurture, rich , poor... the list goes on. It just seems like life is a fucking joke and really is all luck. we all think we are better than this or that person, but if the people on this forum were born in Somalia, we would be completely different people. Life really isnt fair.

It seems that way because its true. Its all probability, nothing more.

Which is why I find it so fascinating that humans can discriminate each other to the extent they do. Especially when it comes to wealth. I always get a chuckle at the idiots whose image of a rich consists of a poor kid who pulled himself up by the bootstraps.

(16-04-2012 05:00 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  If you don't think Einstein worked hard, you should review his record.http://youtu.be/hSgIDgGpRpk
Whether he worked hard or not is irrelevant. Hard work alone would not allow the vast vast majority of people to accomplish mental feats on the level of Einstein. Just like you aren't going to beat Michael Jordan in a game of 1v1.

These people drew the better cards when they were born, and that is about it. You can argue for environmental factors, but even that really boils down to simple chance as well.

(16-04-2012 04:23 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  

No way. This is a HUGE oversimplification. For starters Einstein had a smaller brain than the average human. Also in terms of compute potential the difference between the village idiot and einstein is comparably small. The compute requirements for things like navigating though a 3d environment and recognising obscured objects is massive and many of us do this without effort.

The study you linked to is one single study talking about one aspect in human intelligence. We are still miles away from understanding all the genes that effect intelligence and how they interact with each other and what affects the gene variations will have.

We don't even know most of the genes/gene variants/gene interactions involved to conclusively nail down autism so how do you expect this to be the final nail in the coffin for inherited intelligence?

There is LOTS of solid evidence that shows environmental factors having a large impact on intelligence. EG: children not being exposed to diseases that cause high fevers by giving them vaccinations against things like mumps, rubella, etc.. The nutrition of the mother - omega 3 in diet... Things like this in combination can influence intelligence by 15-20%

It only takes a few percent to make the difference between the village idiot and Einstein.

Most of our brain is dedicated to running the body. We are large mammals so lots of neurons act as amplifiers to boost the signal going to muscles. What do you think elephants do with their large brains? If we understand intelligence it's quite clear that most of our brain is not helping with higher functioning/conciousness/self-awareness.

Birds have a brain the size of a walnut and some of them have the self-awareness/intellect of a 4yo child. We are still far away from closing the books on this stuff.
Einstein had an usual brain.

Scientific studies have suggested that regions involved in speech and language are smaller, while regions involved with numerical and spatial processing are larger.
He also did not have what you might consider a stimulating childhood.

You keep saying its only a few % difference as if its some kind of slogan.
So what, that proves nothing.
You are also only a few percent different than an ape, and genetically less than a few percent.