Genesis Chapter 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 10:15 AM by kingschosen.)

Genesis Chapter 1
THREAD UNLOCKED. ALL PREVIOUS CONTENT REMOVED BECAUSE OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL.

ALL COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL REMOVED

An atheist recently told me that the first few pages they read in the Bible began to give them obvious problems. That certainly is understandable, but I often wonder what a truly open minded skeptical atheist would do if presented with a well informed examination of just the first chapter of the first book in the Bible. Of course, not surprisingly their reaction was the same as it always is. I know because I have presented it. Does that sound arrogant, or does it sound like I have some illusion of grandeur? There is nothing original about this, it goes back to research I've done from as far back as the 1800's.
Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 01:05 PM
RE: Genesis Chapter 1
Where'd you copy that from? And whadda mean, you were doing research in the 1800s? Are you a vampire? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-06-2013, 01:08 PM
(20-06-2013 01:05 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Where'd you copy that from? And whadda mean, you were doing research in the 1800s? Are you a vampire? Big Grin

HOC you beat me to it!

I'm still trying to figure out "illusion of grandeur"...Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2013, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 01:18 PM by Logisch.)
(20-06-2013 01:05 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Where'd you copy that from? And whadda mean, you were doing research in the 1800s? Are you a vampire? Big Grin

He's actually shovelface. Clearly this means that twilight is real.

Or he could be a caveman that has survived 14,000 years.

20-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Did the atheist(s) you mentioned tell you what it was about Genesis that they didn't like?

You've put great effort into trying to make Genesis compatible with modern knowledge, but for many atheists I know it's the story itself that they have a problem with. One of the great puzzles of the universe and the life within it is "how could something come from nothing?" Yet, here you present an even more challenging story: a god who always existed, or came into existence out of nothing, created our planet and us.

Your source? The bible, texts written by ancient humans, claimed to be the word of god.

You think concepts like abiogenesis are hard to accept? Take a look at your own claims. Eternal gods creating planets and humans.

There's nothing in Genesis, even with apologetic spin, that couldn't have been written by a human 2000 years ago trying to make sense of the universe. There's no scientific enlightenment that could have only come from a god. No measurement of the Earth's size. No description of the solar system and planetary orbits.

I'll take the observations of science over your book.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 7 users Like guitar_nut's post
20-06-2013, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 07:22 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-06-2013 12:54 PM)David Lee Wrote:  An atheist recently told me that the first few pages they read in the Bible began to give them obvious problems. That certainly is understandable, but I often wonder what a truly open minded skeptical atheist would do if presented with a well informed examination of just the first chapter of the first book in the Bible. Of course, not surprisingly their reaction was the same as it always is. I know because I have presented it. Does that sound arrogant, or does it sound like I have some illusion of grandeur? There is nothing original about this, it goes back to research I've done from as far back as the 1800's.

The numbers in brackets correspond to the number of the verse in Genesis chapter 1. So [1] is Genesis 1:1 etc.

Well that was easy. See below from :
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001060087
See also :
"Copyright 2013 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. All Rights Reserved." at the bottom.

Plagiarism is a crime in academia. One can be expelled for it. I suppose on the internet it's just another piece of the proof of his Dunning-Kruger syndrome, and bad faith, and the neurotic need to appear to be an expert in field in which one has no real training.

6/21/13 12AM edit :
The material in the OP (previously quoted here yesterday) is copyrighted material, and posting it on the internet is a violation of the law, and theft of intellectual property, thus removed from my quoted post.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 13 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Bucky nails it again.
[Image: dayum.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
20-06-2013, 01:33 PM
[Image: Apply_cold_water_to_burned_area.jpeg]
[+] 3 users Like Jakel's post
20-06-2013, 01:40 PM
so delusional and dishonest and a plagiarist. Is this PJ?

Oh such tangled webs are woven while performing mental gymnastics in the defense of a fairy tale.
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
20-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Bucky beat me to it.

I was originally going to say the OP's idea sounded an awful lot like what I remember back from my JW days.
And now I know why... Tongue

It's funny, they taught that the "scientific" age of the universe, 14+ billion years, is entirely compatible with what they saw in Genesis. The idea that the physical universe was around that long, but it wasn't until the Genesis account that Earth was prepared for life on it. Yet, they couldn't accept evolution or other life sciences.

Apparently, they had no issues accepting astronomy science, but ignored 'earthly' science or dismissed it as wrong, since they knew life was not billions of years old on this planet.

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post