Genesis Chapter 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 06:26 AM
RE: Genesis Chapter 1
I have not read throug all this including the OP. If I may ask a simple question late in the game, what does discussing the nuance of meaning of hebrew words got to do about a creation myth that is harder to believe than any native america creation myth.

I don't care where the OP stole it from it is still an attempt to obfuscate. Making what appears to be a high minded argument indicating study and understanding while ignoring the underlying story proves 0 about the underlying story.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JAH's post
21-06-2013, 06:53 AM
(20-06-2013 08:36 PM)David Lee Wrote:  No it isn't. The Watchtower.

And here's a legitimate explanation of the "imperfect" with the waw-consecutive:

Quote:The wayyiqtol form, like the qatal form of action verbs, is mainly used in the sphere of the past for a singel and instantaneous action: Waw mainly adds the idea of succession. This form is very common in narratives; see 2Sm 12.20 with as many as ten wayyiqtols in a single verse. Usually a narrative begins with a qatal (historic perfect) and continues with a wayyiqtol, which is followed, if need be, by other wayyiqtols, the series of which is never broken without some particular reason. But the wayyiqtol form became so strongly assocaited with its past tense function that it was even used at the beginning, or at least at the relative beginning, of some narratives. Examples: Gn 14.5ff.; Gn 4.1ff.; Jdg 18.24.

It is simply horrible Hebrew to suggest that the fundamental sense of the imperfective is continued action. That is not the case at all.
Find all posts by this user
21-06-2013, 11:48 PM
(20-06-2013 12:54 PM)David Lee Wrote:  An atheist recently told me that the first few pages they read in the Bible began to give them obvious problems. That certainly is understandable, but I often wonder what a truly open minded skeptical atheist would do if presented with a well informed examination of just the first chapter of the first book in the Bible. Of course, not surprisingly their reaction was the same as it always is. I know because I have presented it. Does that sound arrogant, or does it sound like I have some illusion of grandeur? There is nothing original about this, it goes back to research I've done from as far back as the 1800's.

I think that a "well-informed examination of [Genesis 1]" would be seen by an atheist (even an open-minded one) the same way that you'd view a well-informed examination of Qur'an Surah 1. I don't know you well enough to know if you'd dismiss it out of hand without even considering that it could possibly be true or Allah-inspired, but you'd probably be inclined to look for reasons to confirm that it is just another false holy book written by men worshiping a false god... it's only natural. You wouldn't be "arrogant" or "deluded" to see it that way, either, just as we aren't for seeing Genesis 1 as a myth.

As far as I can tell, you're a bright guy. I'm sure that you're not so foolish as to believe that you are inerrant. So at least try to keep an open mind when people argue that your interpretation of the bible is mistaken. They won't necessarily be right, but you have to remember that bias colors your perception just as much as it does ours. You're always going to be inclined to see your evidence as perfect and unassailable, just as most of us do when we present evidence for our viewpoints. All I'm asking is that you don't assume that atheists are in denial or misunderstanding your evidence or such just because they don't agree with you. Even better, please don't assume anything of all atheists in general, because stereotypes are illogical (the fallacy of hasty generalization).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post