Genesis-The man has now become like one of us?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2017, 09:57 PM
RE: Genesis-The man has now become like one of us?
(24-11-2017 09:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-11-2017 09:11 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Rowan Atkinson

Even my religious friends tell me to watch Mr. Bean. Laugh out load

Wait, you have religious friends??? Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2017, 10:33 PM
(24-11-2017 09:57 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(24-11-2017 09:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Even my religious friends tell me to watch Mr. Bean. Laugh out load

Wait, you have religious friends??? Laugh out load

Tons. Even nuns !

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
25-11-2017, 12:00 AM
(24-11-2017 08:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-11-2017 06:06 PM)Alchemy Begins Wrote:  Actually it did. Seeing as you had a difficult time comprehending what you read, I went back to highlight it for you. It will be in blue.

The "where/were" typo threw me for moment but I'm pretty sure that I comprehended that it was a description, no, not even that, more like a definition of god(s)/goddess(es).

I think my post #2 had a better explanation - campfire wisdom i.e. folkloric ignorance.

(24-11-2017 07:39 PM)pablo Wrote:  Really Girly or DLJ...no Genesis songs posted after three pages?
Ohmy

Oops, sorry.

Video no work in this country.
No

I've just recently grown rudimentary legs and made the move from water to land.
25-11-2017, 12:19 AM
I think it's bad editing. The agenda changed throughout the construction of the bible and they didn't pay a lot of attention to correcting details. It's a telltale of earlier polytheistic mythologies that have been ripped off.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
25-11-2017, 02:06 AM
(24-11-2017 06:57 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(24-11-2017 06:42 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What the hell are blathering on about? <----This should be read in the best Monty Python-ish voice possible.

Nah. Read it in a Trump voice.

I read it in this voice:

[Image: mawwiage.gif]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-11-2017, 03:28 AM
(24-11-2017 09:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-11-2017 09:11 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Rowan Atkinson

Even my religious friends tell me to watch Mr. Bean. Laugh out load

I've never been a huge Mr. Bean fan but the Blackadder stuff is hilarious. You'd never imagine they were performed by the same person.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
25-11-2017, 07:07 AM
From this thread:

ATTN: Erxomai

(29-06-2012 08:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-06-2012 07:54 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I wonder why God chose to have the book of Genesis written so late in human history, and so late in the history of Israel, and why it is based on myths that seem to have nothing to do with the Yahweh god. Was there a true history of Adam and Eve and God's relationship with man that was corrupted through other cultures, and then fixed in the book of Genesis through divine revelation hundreds of years after Moses is said to have lived?

The thing is, god had nothing to do with it. It was actually written around 575 BCE around the Babylonian Exile, , (national crisis)to form a national "story" or history, as an instrument of "political group formation". It was a useful tool to have a national history, which was essentially invented, by assembling the circulating (oral) myths.

And Erxomai's reply:

(28-06-2012 02:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(28-06-2012 12:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've been doing research about the whole Genesis 1:26 thing.

It looks like you're right, and I was wrong.

I'm recanting my previous assertions in the fact that, as it appears, it does seem as if God is addressing a council.

Why was this language used?

My preliminary studies have shown this:

1) Based on the culture and language of the Ancient Near East peoples, there was a concept of God addressing the entirety of heaven.
2) In the same vein as I understand Genesis to be non-literal, it is also understood that the "our" isn't meant to be taken literally IE God is not equating Himself to the council.
3) This was simply another part of the story adapted from the original story to tell the Hebrews about God.
Cool, I had some more stuff I got from a friend who is a linguistics guru, but decided if it was important to you, you'd figure it out on your own. Thumbsup
It still leaves an interesting (from a Theist point of view) of why would God need to announce his plans to a Heavenly audience. But I think it's the same literary device used in the first chapter of Job. I don't think the reader is intended to believe Satan and God literally made a wager about Job. It would be a pretty boring myth/story if stuff just happened without giving some background to motive and intent of the characters involved. In the Creation myth, it gives more punch to describe God's motive behind making Humans than to simply say Humans were made on the 6th day.

Anyway, this story is well understood as mythology, but I think that it shows in the creation of the story itself that the original authors understood it to be myth, a myth is useful in unifying a people in light of the Babylonian exile and this was why Genesis (and the Torah) was written. I speculate that Cyrus; when he allowed the Jews to return to Israel after the exile, even directed them to write their myths.

Genesis was written under Cyrus' directive being nothing more than a derivative of Babylonian myth.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
25-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Erxy hasn't been seen 'round these parts since everz.

living word
25-11-2017, 09:43 AM
(29-12-2014 08:35 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  "The man has now become like one of us" (Genesis 3:22) is a quote attributed to god in the Genesis myth, but I was wondering how the word "us" is actually being used here.

God is a Trinity, made up of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.
Charles Darwin
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
25-11-2017, 10:07 AM
(25-11-2017 09:43 AM)theophilus Wrote:  ...
God is a Trinity, made up of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

[Image: d32eb68fa827b8427dc7afdfb0f6e5c5.jpg]