Genetic Engineering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Genetic Engineering
I know that a thread of this nature will spur much controversy, but hear me out, guys.
My idea is that human generic engineering should be legal to some degree.
Parents could import select genes from their own generic backgrounds, therefore eliminating Down Syndrome, Lobster-Claw Syndrome, Sickle-Cell Disorder, and many other horrid mutations.
They could be able to choose the gender of the child, their eye color, their hair color, and many other factors that don't severely affect them.
Anyone agree with me?

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2013, 09:14 PM
RE: Genetic Engineering
Khan!

(I'm not saying that human eugenics would lead to Star Trek's "eugenics wars" and ultimately to Ricardo Mantalban trying to kill Captain Kirk, but you know, why take that chance...)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
09-01-2013, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 12:13 PM by Diablo.)
Khan only did battle with Kirk because khan and his people lost the eugenics war. What if he had won? Wouldn't the human species be in a better place?
09-01-2013, 09:20 PM
This doesn't have to do with eugenics, guys...

09-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Maybe. Wouldn't do me much good, I'd be only the losing side if Khan wins.

Star Trek jokes aside, actually, I'd be all for genetic enhancement of the human race. I think it would almost exclusively be used to improve mankind. Smarter, healthier, superior. Evolution on steroids. Too late for me and my kids, but you know, the whole village would ultimately win.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
09-01-2013, 09:24 PM
(09-01-2013 09:20 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  This doesn't have to do with eugenics, guys...
What, you think that if people could edit hair color and eye color that they wouldn't ask for a few extra IQ points? You think if they make the one legal and the other illegal, that we won't have secret clinics in dark alleys that offer illegal eugenic modification?

Heck, we're gonna get that one day, like it or not; I say treat it like we should treat the "war on drugs" -- make it legal, make it available, regulate it, and profit by it.

[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
09-01-2013, 09:39 PM
(09-01-2013 09:24 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(09-01-2013 09:20 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  This doesn't have to do with eugenics, guys...
What, you think that if people could edit hair color and eye color that they wouldn't ask for a few extra IQ points? You think if they make the one legal and the other illegal, that we won't have secret clinics in dark alleys that offer illegal eugenic modification?

Heck, we're gonna get that one day, like it or not; I say treat it like we should treat the "war on drugs" -- make it legal, make it available, regulate it, and profit by it.
I was referring to Social Darwinism.

09-01-2013, 09:41 PM
(09-01-2013 09:24 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  

Genetics aren't the only factor in intelligence.

09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
True, but when you start editing fetal traits like eye color and hair color, the sky's the limit. I'm pretty sure intelligence isn't too far off that track - in fact, it's directly on that track and coming at us like a freight train.

[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
10-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I agree to a certain extent. Yes I think genetic engineering should be okay for chromosomal diseases like Down's. No I don't think it's okay to alter appearance like hair color and eye color. I think it's really up to the individual to decide what their favorite eye/hair color should be. We have colored contacts and many kinds of hair dyes for that. I don't think it's right for the parent to decide that "I want my child to have blue hair because I think it's cool so my child is gonna have blue hair." Gender is also a little iffy. In some cultures male children are much more desired over females, thus making the population extremely skewed.

"It would be very nice if there were a God who created the world and was a benevolent providence, and if there were a moral order in the universe and an after-life; but it is a very striking fact that all this is exactly as we are bound to wish it to be."
- Sigmund Freud