Genetic Engineering and a possible Big Pharma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2011, 07:20 AM
RE: Genetic Engineering and a possible Big Pharma
Outside the scheme of big pharmaceuticals we have starbucks, mcdonalds and other convenient food source conglomerates doing things outside of the country. But yes, Monsanto is the single most corrupt of the conglomerates reaching out to use the world.

It's great that those rigorous steps are done to prevent things going wrong in this country, but they aren't done in Somali or Equador. So, having a stringent policy becomes a bit moot when you can't police the whole world, like internet piracy and Switzerland.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Conspiracy theories are just like molecules. The bigger they are, the more unstable they get.
A conspiracy in wich "all scientist" participate in are as likely as a 10 meters long polimer molecule.

As far as I know we can genetically engineer plants, animals, bacteria, to give them certain qualities. So what are the evidences againist it? I'm not arguing here, I just really don't know.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
14-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Generally the evidence against it is ethics. That these things should not be doable even though they obviously are doable. Science and ethics stand apart often enough because science is a study of empirical evidence and ethics is an ideology of what is right and wrong. Scientists in general worry about science not ethics so people consider scientists unethical, even though they are being ethical under the guidelines given to them. We live in a capitalist society, if someone gives you money to do something then doing it to get that money is seen as normal behavior of people living in our community. That a scientist doesn't stop and ask how other people will think about growing human ears in plants or other doable yet controversial things does not make the scientist unethical. He is simply setting out to prove something or to make money. Inventing something is not employing it. Only the employment of an invention can truly be unethical. Though obviously this is an ethics question with arguments both ways too =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
14-03-2011, 12:37 PM

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/harvest/exist/ <---- Go the bottom where you see the box that says "do you think we should use GM crops" and choose yes if you want to see the cons.
Quote this message in a reply