Genetic Engineering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Re: Genetic Engineering
I personally am against the idea on a shallow end basis. Like designer looks babies. But for disease treatment and such I'm okay with it.

Do I think its gonna happen whether I agree or not.....yup. especially in a time like right now when physical beauty is such an obsession.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2013, 12:16 PM
RE: Genetic Engineering
(10-01-2013 12:33 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I personally am against the idea on a shallow end basis. Like designer looks babies. But for disease treatment and such I'm okay with it.

Do I think its gonna happen whether I agree or not.....yup. especially in a time like right now when physical beauty is such an obsession.
To be fair its more than just an obsession. It actually is important.

The most important factor, after what family you are born into, for determining fiscal success is sex appeal.
Attractive people get more money and more promotions on average.
10-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Erm.... I think you guys are talking about Eugenics.

You can say its not but it sounds like it to me......

Quote:Eugenics is the applied science of the bio-social movement which advocates the use of practices aimed at improving the genetic composition of a population, usually a human population.[2][3] It is a social philosophy which advocates for the improvement of human hereditary traits through the promotion of higher reproduction of more desired people and traits, and the reduction of reproduction of less desired people and traits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
10-01-2013, 01:17 PM
(10-01-2013 12:24 PM)bemore Wrote:  Erm.... I think you guys are talking about Eugenics.

Quote:Eugenics is the applied science of the bio-social movement which advocates the use of practices aimed at improving the genetic composition of a population, usually a human population.[2][3] It is a social philosophy which advocates for the improvement of human hereditary traits through the promotion of higher reproduction of more desired people and traits, and the reduction of reproduction of less desired people and traits.

I meant Social Darwinism. To a degree, I support sterilization of certain humans.

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2013, 01:20 PM
(10-01-2013 01:17 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 12:24 PM)bemore Wrote:  Erm.... I think you guys are talking about Eugenics.

I meant Social Darwinism. To a degree, I support sterilization of certain humans.
Including yourself?

I'm not being snarky here. If you're going to support a law (even a proposed one) then that means you voluntarily submit to having that law applied to you. Suggesting a wide-open generalization like you did, "I support sterilization of certain humans" is dangerous; it leaves it open to any interpretation of what "certain humans" means and you might find yourself included among the sterilization candidates.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
10-01-2013, 01:21 PM
(10-01-2013 12:33 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I personally am against the idea on a shallow end basis. Like designer looks babies. But for disease treatment and such I'm okay with it.

Many people recieve abortions for fetuses with undesirable traits to the parents. At the end of the day, it's not like the kid has a fucking choice in what their genetic traits are.

10-01-2013, 02:19 PM

Godwin's law in 3... 2... 1... Rolleyes

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
10-01-2013, 02:44 PM
(10-01-2013 02:19 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Godwin's law in 3... 2... 1... Rolleyes
You learn something new everyday. I had never heard of godwins law up until just.

My views are as long as it is available to everybody (not just people with money), isnt forced and would be undertaken by the very people who propose/enforce it then I suppose I have no problems with it.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-01-2013, 03:02 PM
(10-01-2013 01:20 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 01:17 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  .

Including yourself?

I'm not being snarky here. If you're going to support a law (even a proposed one) then that means you voluntarily submit to having that law applied to you. Suggesting a wide-open generalization like you did, "I support sterilization of certain humans" is dangerous; it leaves it open to any interpretation of what "certain humans" means and you might find yourself included among the sterilization candidates.

When I said "certain humans", I was referring to people covincted of rape, pediphilia, and other sex crimes alongside drug addicts and alcoholics, and possibly feeble-minded people (most constraversial).

10-01-2013, 03:31 PM
You're right that's the most controversial. You start down that slope and it gets slippery very fast. What happens when the "ones in charge" decide you're the feeble-minded one? Or they simply label you as such because they really think you're a clever subversive type and want to castigate/castrate you for it?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein