Genetic Engineering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Re: Genetic Engineering
As someone who works with people who have DD I can not believe you just used the term "feeble minded"

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Re: Genetic Engineering
And sterilizing someone for being different than you....wow I'm not gonna bother with a response.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
10-01-2013, 03:48 PM
RE: Genetic Engineering
(10-01-2013 03:02 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  When I said "certain humans", I was referring to people covincted of rape, pediphilia, and other sex crimes alongside drug addicts and alcoholics, and possibly feeble-minded people (most constraversial).
I think feeble minded people, drug addicts and alchofrolics are vunerable and need our protection.

Sterilising them will not solve there problems in my opinion.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Did you misspell "venerable" or "vulnerable". if it's the former, I think your generalization is too broad. If it's the later, you may be more correct.

Then again, if you meant "venereal" then I wholeheartedly agree, assuming your assumption is valid.

Cool

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
10-01-2013, 09:06 PM
(10-01-2013 03:48 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 03:02 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  When I said "certain humans", I was referring to people covincted of rape, pediphilia, and other sex crimes alongside drug addicts and alcoholics, and possibly feeble-minded people (most constraversial).
I think feeble minded people, drug addicts and alchofrolics are vunerable and need our protection.

It'll stop an AIDS baby with an addiction to crack from being born.

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2013, 01:56 AM
(10-01-2013 09:06 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 03:48 PM)bemore Wrote:  I think feeble minded people, drug addicts and alchofrolics are vunerable and need our protection.

It'll stop an AIDS baby with an addiction to crack from being born.
That is a very broad stereotype you have there. Sterilising is not a good solution, rehabilitation is. Case study? Norway "prisons". I believe we will have a cure for the AIDS virus sooner or later. I'll give it at most 5 years for the drug to appear for commercial use. So, the hypothetical problem isn't really a problem when the correct humane measures are taken.

But back to the topic on genetic engineering. I'm concerned with the ethical and social implications of genetic engineering on humans even though I'm a strong proponent for such technology. Furthermore, considering the fact that many of our traits are controlled by multiple genes, and these genes can control multiple traits... it's complicated, but still possible. Genetic engineering is fun, but just be careful Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
11-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Let's not give up our species' genetic diversity in the name of intelligence or beauty too quickly.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
28-01-2013, 11:55 AM

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Can genetic testing tell you the genetics of a specific generation? PoolBoyG 1 49 26-04-2014 10:34 PM
Last Post: Anjele
  Genetic testing Cathym112 65 2,071 18-11-2013 01:50 AM
Last Post: Heywood Jahblome
  Facial symmetry and genetic health ghostexorcist 3 348 02-10-2013 07:43 PM
Last Post: black_squirrel
  USA Science & Engineering Festival April 23-27, 2014 Bows and Arrows 0 199 10-07-2013 11:54 AM
Last Post: Bows and Arrows
  Landing of The Mars Curiosity Rover My Engineering and Scientific Highlight for 2012 Endurance Swimmer 1 354 11-04-2013 06:39 PM
Last Post: F.A.C.T.
  Genetic relationship between Homininae Hikaru 19 1,669 19-12-2012 11:23 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Genetic Modification ebilekittae 20 1,947 08-04-2011 12:10 AM
Last Post: daemonowner