Genetic testing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 02:31 PM
RE: Genetic testing
(06-11-2013 11:10 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 08:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  What is your fucking problem? Consider

This is a new thread, not a necro.

Sorry - What is a "Necro"? I understand in the concept of death - but I'm not understanding how its related to this thread?

Necromancers raise the dead. Dead thread rises when a necro bumps it. Guy didn't know what necro meant and was making some jokes that didn't make sense because the thread was brand new...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 05:33 PM
(06-11-2013 02:31 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 11:10 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Sorry - What is a "Necro"? I understand in the concept of death - but I'm not understanding how its related to this thread?

Necromancers raise the dead. Dead thread rises when a necro bumps it. Guy didn't know what necro meant and was making some jokes that didn't make sense because the thread was brand new...

Ah ha! Thank you!
08-11-2013, 12:39 PM
seriously - I'm asking for opinions because I am considering doing this.
08-11-2013, 01:26 PM
(08-11-2013 12:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  seriously - I'm asking for opinions because I am considering doing this.

I believe this is already available and being done.

There are people who object to it, typically on the grounds of 'playing God' or some slippery slope argument.

My feeling is that once you're into IVF, then take advantage of the technology.

Full disclosure: My ex and I went through several rounds of IVF many years ago.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2013, 02:37 PM
(05-11-2013 05:21 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Is there anything morally questionable about genetic testing on embryos for IVF implantation of only genetically healthy embryos? What about choosing the sex?

I do not see any morally questionable thing here. Implanting only genetically healthy embryos is morally responsible. Choosing gender is simply a matter of choice. Some parents would rather have boys or girls. Nothing morally questionable unless the thinking is that one gender is superior to the other.
08-11-2013, 02:39 PM
(08-11-2013 01:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 12:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  seriously - I'm asking for opinions because I am considering doing this.

I believe this is already available and being done.

There are people who object to it, typically on the grounds of 'playing God' or some slippery slope argument.

I know its being done already, My hubby and I are having trouble conceiving. We met with a fertility clinic and we just signed consent for genetic testing. If we do IVF, we are considering also doing the testing.

Since I don't believe in god, is there anything morally wrong with it?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
08-11-2013, 02:48 PM
(08-11-2013 02:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 01:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  I believe this is already available and being done.

I know its being done already, My hubby and I are having trouble conceiving. We met with a fertility clinic and we just signed consent for genetic testing. If we do IVF, we are considering also doing the testing.

It depends on what you're filtering. Do you want to know what you could face or do you want to avoid facing it?

We did the usual things when I was pregnant, blood tests checking for this and that...I ended up with a son with autism. Given the opportunity would I not have him or have him and arm myself with information? I would totally choose the latter and fully arm myself with every bit of information possible.

Edited to add, I wish you all the best at your plans whatever you decide!

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-11-2013, 02:50 PM
(08-11-2013 02:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 02:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I know its being done already, My hubby and I are having trouble conceiving. We met with a fertility clinic and we just signed consent for genetic testing. If we do IVF, we are considering also doing the testing.

It depends on what you're filtering. Do you want to know what you could face or do you want to avoid facing it?

We did the usual things when I was pregnant, blood tests checking for this and that...I ended up with a son with autism. Given the opportunity would I not have him or have him and arm myself with information? I would totally choose the latter and fully arm myself with every bit of information possible.

I want to avoid facing something. Like cystic fibrosis.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
08-11-2013, 03:02 PM
(08-11-2013 02:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 02:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It depends on what you're filtering. Do you want to know what you could face or do you want to avoid facing it?

I want to avoid facing something. Like cystic fibrosis.

I see that as a responsible choice. Cystic fibrosis or any other debilitating disease is not something I would wish on anyone's child.

Are you conflicted because you think this is somehow selfish? It is self-interested, but it is also in the interests of the child.

I say go forth and test. It is ethical, moral, and responsible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-11-2013, 03:34 PM
(08-11-2013 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 02:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I want to avoid facing something. Like cystic fibrosis.

I see that as a responsible choice. Cystic fibrosis or any other debilitating disease is not something I would wish on anyone's child.

Are you conflicted because you think this is somehow selfish? It is self-interested, but it is also in the interests of the child.

I say go forth and test. It is ethical, moral, and responsible.

If we are going the IVF route - I plan to not only do genetic testing but to also choose the sex. I would like one of each and not at the same time. What concerns me, ironically, is not any conflict regarding this, but the absence of conflict. I just want to make sure I've thought of every argument for and against it. thats all.