Genetic testing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 06:50 AM by Chippy.)
RE: Genetic testing
(15-11-2013 05:33 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'm pretty solid on the dominant vs recessive. If 2 people over 6 feet fall have kids, those kids might not necessarily be tall. Depends on what recessive genes they have.

Just like 2 brown eyed people can have a 1 in 4 chance of having a child with blue eyes if both parents carry the recessive blue eyes

Not all traits are Mendelian. Height is polygenic rather than Mendelian. So all things being equal two tall parents will produce a tall child.

Think also of bi-racial children. They look like they do because many traits are non-Mendelian. A child with a sub-Saharan father and a Northern European mother doesn't turn out either as dark as the father or as white as the mother. Instead it turns out an intermediate shade of brown. Melanisation too is non-Mendelian.

[Image: HEIDI+KLUM+SEAL+Taking+Their+Kids+Playgr...7jnwCl.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2013, 06:41 AM
(15-11-2013 05:45 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Chip - isn't it possible to run the risk of breeding out an unfashionable (not necessarily a detrimental) trait if too many people do this centralized planning?

Centralised planning would be if some government body were directing which embryos be implanted but I understand what you mean.

Yes, unpopular eye colours and the like would become less frequent but all that would have happened is that an always existing aesthetic preference would have become actualised. Green eyes--for example--are almost universally culturally admired. Recall the worldwide fascination with the green-eyed Afghani girl on the Time cover:

[Image: afghan-girl-11.jpeg]

If parents can choose green-eyed children then we would finally be able to stop bullshitting each other that there are no such preferences. We wouldn't have become worser people because of the ability to choose.

Quote:In that case I do see the slippery slope argument. Ie, only the rich can afford the genetically elite kids.

But the rich always have and always will have more reproductive options. The average-looking wealthy male has always been able to produce above-average looking children by marrying a well-above-average female.
15-11-2013, 06:53 AM
(15-11-2013 06:41 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 05:45 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Chip - isn't it possible to run the risk of breeding out an unfashionable (not necessarily a detrimental) trait if too many people do this centralized planning?

Centralised planning would be if some government body were directing which embryos be implanted but I understand what you mean.

Yes, unpopular eye colours and the like would become less frequent but all that would have happened is that an always existing aesthetic preference would have become actualised. Green eyes--for example--are almost universally culturally admired. Recall the worldwide fascination with the green-eyed Afghani girl on the Time cover:

[Image: afghan-girl-11.jpeg]

As a totally unrelated point - Are her eyes really green? Or are they simply hazel? Hazel eyes appear to change color based on what the eye owner is wearing. I'm jealous of my husband whose eyes reflect what he is wearing. He basically can color coordinate his eyes to match his outfit, provided it is blue or green.

The reason I ask is that I couldn't help but to notice the green background in the picture to add the contrast to that of her eyes.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2013, 06:56 AM
(15-11-2013 06:41 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Green eyes--for example--are almost universally culturally admired. Recall the worldwide fascination with the green-eyed Afghani girl on the Time cover:

It was National Geographic, not Time. Just sayin'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2013, 06:58 AM
(15-11-2013 06:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  As a totally unrelated point - Are her eyes really green? Or are they simply hazel? Hazel eyes appear to change color based on what the eye owner is wearing.

There was a documentary where the photographer set-out to track her down many years later to see what had become of her and in that she was repeatedly referred to as having green eyes both by the photographer and by Afghanis. So I think she is genuinely green-eyed.
15-11-2013, 07:00 AM
(15-11-2013 06:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 06:41 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Green eyes--for example--are almost universally culturally admired. Recall the worldwide fascination with the green-eyed Afghani girl on the Time cover:

It was National Geographic, not Time. Just sayin'.

Yep. I stand corrected.
15-11-2013, 07:00 AM
(15-11-2013 06:24 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 05:33 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'm pretty solid on the dominant vs recessive. If 2 people over 6 feet fall have kids, those kids might not necessarily be tall. Depends on what recessive genes they have.

Just like 2 brown eyed people can have a 1 in 4 chance of having a child with blue eyes if both parents carry the recessive blue eyes

Not all traits are Mendelian. Height is polygenic rather than Mendelian. So all things being equal two tall parents will produce a tall child.

Think also of bi-racial children. They look like they do because many traits are non-Mendelian. A child with a sub-Saharan father and a Northern European mother doesn't turn out either as dark as the father or as white as the mother. Instead it turns out an intermediate shade of brown. Melanisation too is non-Mendelian.

[Image: HEIDI+KLUM+SEAL+Taking+Their+Kids+Playgr...7jnwCl.jpg]

Is that completely true? My genetic dad was 6 feet tall. My mother is 5.6. I am 5 foot, six inches shorter than my mother.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
15-11-2013, 07:06 AM
(15-11-2013 07:00 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Is that completely true? My genetic dad was 6 feet tall. My mother is 5.6. I am 5 foot, six inches shorter than my mother.

Stature is a complicated trait not only because of its polygenicity but also because it is heavily influenced by many developmental factors. If both of your parents were 6' tall and you turned out 5' that would be unusual. See here.
15-11-2013, 07:12 AM
(15-11-2013 06:58 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 06:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  As a totally unrelated point - Are her eyes really green? Or are they simply hazel? Hazel eyes appear to change color based on what the eye owner is wearing.

There was a documentary where the photographer set-out to track her down many years later to see what had become of her and in that she was repeatedly referred to as having green eyes both by the photographer and by Afghanis. So I think she is genuinely green-eyed.

Hmmm...couldn't it be argued that the only reason this is so desired because it's more rare? Particularly with a certain race? Memoirs of a geisha's main character was an Japanese woman with blue eyes.

Blue eyes on a blonde haired Arian is almost expected. But blue eyes on a dark skinned, dark hair, now that is more rare. Is it desired more simply because it's rare?

15-11-2013, 07:15 AM
(15-11-2013 07:12 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Blue eyes on a blonde haired Arian is almost expected. But blue eyes on a dark skinned, dark hair, now that is more rare. Is it desired more simply because it's rare?

I don't know. Perhaps.