Genetically modified .... humans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Question Genetically modified .... humans
Humans have already shown that it’s going to be a slippery slope when designer babies pick up full steam. PGD is widely used around the world currently to allow parents to select some of the traits of their children, such as gender and eye color.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/...-children/

First genetically modified human embryo happened this year.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-med...-concerns/

Is genetic modification of humans to remove genetic illnesses like some cancers, color blindness, Sickle-Cell, Hemophilia, etc. a matter of if or a matter of when? A U.S. Panel has already endorsed it for these serious diseases.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/60363...s-disease/

Ethically and morally I see it as a positive thing. The ability to remove genetic diseases from the world is huge in and of itself, and I think it more than overcomes the possible abuse by parents to make perfect little designer babies. But we live in a capitalist world so is it just going to become yet another way that the 1% is “better” than the rest of us? Or on the other end what about genetic mistakes happening in third world countries doing bargain basement genetic modifications?

So do you think the benefits of genetically modified humans outweigh the negatives?

Developing ForDebating.com that I hope to populate with intelligent critical thinkers. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Coveny's post
15-09-2017, 06:12 PM
RE: Genetically modified .... humans
I say bring it on. God fucked up. We can do better.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
15-09-2017, 06:20 PM
I don't know. It would be nice to get rid of a bunch of diseases, but what I see flashing in front of my eyes are Kim Un's marching people... human bodies, one exactly like the next, marching in unison.

Ugh! Confused

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-09-2017, 06:47 PM
I'd volunteer to be a guinea pig.
[Image: Creepy_26616d_132735.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
15-09-2017, 06:52 PM
(15-09-2017 06:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know. It would be nice to get rid of a bunch of diseases, but what I see flashing in front of my eyes are Kim Un's marching people... human bodies, one exactly like the next, marching in unison.

Ugh! Confused

That only bothers you because the portion of your brain that tells you to be bothered by it hasn't been modified yet.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
15-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Imagine if we could identify the religion gene and destroy it in utero with a targetted drug. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
15-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Genetically modified .... humans
I'm not against it. If there will be a way to reduce human suffering by eliminating some diseases and conditions it should be used.

I'm also not particularly concerned with "designer babies". Parents already make the most important decision in which child has no imput - to make and born one.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
15-09-2017, 09:25 PM
I think this advance in medical science will help us reduce tremendously the number of genetical diseases and perhapse reduce our vulnerability to things like diabetes, certain cancer or high cholesterol. As for ''designer babies'', I don't think this will pose a problem. If genetic therapy could be provided for by the healthcare system to protect people from being born with important disease, the ''designer babies'' will not. Plus, gene therapy isn't a exactly a precise tool to ''build'' your dream human. Environment has an enormous weight on the development of any individual. What does it serves to make your kid a genius if you can't make him value knowledge and give him a thirst for academic research and education?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
15-09-2017, 09:25 PM
(15-09-2017 09:12 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm not against it. If there will be a way to reduce human suffering by eliminating some diseases and conditions it should be used.

I'm also not particularly concerned with "designer babies". Parents already make the most important decision in which child has no imput - to make and born one.

Agree with you there. Only thing to worry about genetic engineering though is introducing new genes into the population with unexpected consequences. Those known genetic flaws that cause disease, though, could be corrected with known working genes.

The genetic engineering I would worry about though is the sort of novel capability gene being added into the human genome that has unexpected consequences. Say that scientists modify an immune system to make it more resistant to disease, but in doing so we drive an evolutionary response to a disease that makes it more virulent. We would be unlikely to discover this side effect until there was a large enough population with this trait, and at that point it would be in the population and ineradicable (without a bunch more genetic engineering).
[+] 4 users Like BryanS's post
15-09-2017, 09:32 PM
There will definitely loss in diversity which could cause us issues at some later date. Maybe color blindness is the only thing that protects us from something else, but we eradicated it because we thought it was just a negative trait?

Developing ForDebating.com that I hope to populate with intelligent critical thinkers. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating