Genetically modified .... humans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2017, 07:51 AM
RE: Genetically modified .... humans
(15-09-2017 04:54 PM)Coveny Wrote:  Ethically and morally I see it as a positive thing. The ability to remove genetic diseases from the world is huge in and of itself, and I think it more than overcomes the possible abuse by parents to make perfect little designer babies. But we live in a capitalist world so is it just going to become yet another way that the 1% is “better” than the rest of us? Or on the other end what about genetic mistakes happening in third world countries doing bargain basement genetic modifications?

Exactly what I was thinking also. For the most part it will be used to better the life of the upper 1 percent. But it should be researched, for a better time when health is no longer considered a commodity to be sold to the highest bidder.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2017, 08:31 AM
(15-09-2017 09:32 PM)Coveny Wrote:  There will definitely loss in diversity which could cause us issues at some later date. Maybe color blindness is the only thing that protects us from something else, but we eradicated it because we thought it was just a negative trait?

Well, then you need to balance a known against an unknown.

While it is theoretically possible that if we managed to completely eliminate sickle cell anemia, then the entire human race could possibly be more susceptible to a potential uber malaria. But you know what? The potential threat of a heretofore as yet encountered uber malaria is not good enough reason to ignore the known reality that is sickle cell anemia. If we achieve the ability to eliminate sickle cell anemia, given what we know now, it would be immoral not to correct it.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-09-2017, 09:06 AM
I do have some concerns. If the First World upper and middle classes get to the point where a certain genetic disease is essentially eliminated by "gene cleansing" of offspring, will that stop research on that disease and any search for a non-genetic treatment/cure? That certainly seems harsh for a child born with a disease or predisposition for a disease because his parents were poor, uneducated or part of some religious cult.

Scientists already know from breeding experiments on animals that when you select for one trait, a bunch of other ones come along for the ride, so to speak. So changing a gene sequence to eliminate a disease will also select for other things. And that means that the alternative traits for those other things are eliminated, too. Law of Unintended Consequences kicks in if some of those other traits eliminated are essential for something. There was an episode of Babylon 5 where a species had evolved in two directions on their home planet, so they had something like Neanderthal (Hyach-do) and Cro-Magnon (Hyach) separation. The "advanced" species not only hunted down and killed all of their Neanderthal population, but they killed any suspected cross-breeds in a search for species purity. The problem was - the Neanderthal genes were needed for species survival, and without them, the "advanced" race weakened and eventually weren't able to reproduce. Oops!

But whatever concerns I might have, it's going to happen, just like DNA sequences will be / mostly already are used for identification and crime solving. If the technology exists, it will be used. Ranting against it and trying to pass laws is like building a mesh fence to hold back the ocean tides.
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
16-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Making us more resilient could pose other problems to the symbiosis we call the human digestive system. If they wanted us to be able to get the nutrients we need without bacteria and other lifeforms living in us, they would really have to rework the human body to overcome the deficiencies. Also there are issues with creating a totally different type of class warfare where you have the designer people of means versus then randoms who can't afford it.

Developing ForDebating.com that I hope to populate with intelligent critical thinkers. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
16-09-2017, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2017 04:21 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(16-09-2017 09:28 PM)Coveny Wrote:  Making us more resilient could pose other problems to the symbiosis we call the human digestive system. If they wanted us to be able to get the nutrients we need without bacteria and other lifeforms living in us, they would really have to rework the human body to overcome the deficiencies. Also there are issues with creating a totally different type of class warfare where you have the designer people of means versus then randoms who can't afford it.

Once again, I don't think the initial goal would be 'lets eliminate intestinal bacteria', rather 'let eliminate genetic eating disorders'. Get everyone to at least the same baseline, by eliminating things such as lactose intolerance or gastroparesis.

Also, while I'm all for eliminating severe class stratification, I wouldn't want to damn a child to spina bifida if their parents could afford to screen it out beforehand, even if I couldn't. But yeah, the end goal would be to make access to such technology a basic human right, an acknowledgement that every child deserves to be free of crippling genetic disorders.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-09-2017, 04:06 PM
I just saw this video about fetuses in a pod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgmdF9l7K9o

Sorta on topic methinks.

Developing ForDebating.com that I hope to populate with intelligent critical thinkers. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating