Genital Mutilation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2010, 05:37 PM
RE: Genital Mutilation
Hey, Kikko.

When you use "you" it's fine. Like, "You know when you can't find your keys..." That being said, a lot of people, when reading it, take it to mean, "You know when YOU can't find your keys..." They may respond, "How dare you! I always know where my keys are!" If you want to avoid confusion you can say, "When one can't find their keys..."

Is male circumcision actually illegal in Finland?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:From what I read, in Judaism, circumcision is a part of the covenant between Jews and God. So from what I gather, it's not about making them more perfect but a part of their relationship with God.

That is correct, but I believe you are correct about evidence that the practice predates the early Hebrews and was fairly common in the region.

A lot of the old testament is taken from earlier mythology in the region (there is a story that predates the Moses myth about the Jordan river being parted). If I had to guess, the circumcision explanation was "retrofitted" into the old testament to explain the already existing tradition to later generations. That's just a guess, though. I'm not aware of any definitive evidence on the topic.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-09-2010, 03:03 AM
Quote:Is male circumcision actually illegal in Finland?
There's not any special laws about circumcision. Female circumcisions are handled as acts of violence, and the basis law says that everyone has the right for physical integrity and also the right to practise religion. But male circumcision is allowed because of the right to practise religion and because not circumcising, for example, muslims children would not be good for them, because they might not be accepted in the muslim community and circumcision is a part of their identity when they grow up to be muslims.

Thanks for the english lesson.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
26-09-2010, 06:17 AM

There is no established medical necessity for circumcision. The people that have it done in their later years are isolated cases for whatever their specific reasons. Those reasons may be for infection of the glans or foreskin, or they may be for religious or aesthetic reasons. Babies that have it done pass unconscious nearly immediately from the pain. It is a horrible procedure that should be abolished.

The penis, when properly cleaned and cared for works just fine with its protective covering intact. In rare instances it may be necessary to perform circumcision, but it is not a general medical necessity and is child abuse in my opinion. If I could have my foreskin back, I would jump at the opportunity.

My wife and I do not yet have children, but this issue and baptism are major bones of contention between us (her family is Roman Catholic)
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:If I could have my foreskin back, I would jump at the opportunity.

You can have mine back too if you want. Maybe start a collection. Cool

Guy at my old gym had his in-tact, so to speak, and for aesthetic reasons alone I'm a fan of circumcision.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-09-2010, 12:53 PM
In Montreal the question goes, "Circ or smeg?"

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
26-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Something you guys probably don't want to know...LOL.

It's very true that there are very few instances to circumcise for medical reasons. As mentioned before, the penis, like all other parts of the body goes through growth spurts. It can actually "out-grow" the foreskin if the growth spurt is quick enough that it doesn't allow time for the foreskin to stretch along with the penis. This is extremely rare though. Another more common reason (likely the most common) for adult circumcision (for medical reasons) is when a man is particularily susceptible to yeast infections. Even with rigorous cleaning, a yeast infection (most commonly from sex) can infect tiny tears in the skin that happen during intercourse. The tears are very common and almost always go unnoticed, but when an infection takes hold, the skin continues to crack, and basically turns into a breeding ground for yeast, regardless of how clean things are. These infections can be not only chronic, but excrutiating. Horribly excrutiating. Real life nighmare excrutiating.....um...ya....they hurt. Trust me. LOL.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
26-09-2010, 01:57 PM

When I was a christian, the explanation I heard for circumcision was less often that it actually altered anything "broken" on the body, but did serve as a sign of commitment to god.

The first generation of Jews in scripture to practice it were mostly adult males who instituted circumcision as a sign of commitment after being commanded by god. In this way, it doesn't actually fix the body but the mind.

The reason doesn't matter, of course. I've often wondered why it was okay back then to cut off part of your dick but not to tattoo yourself. Weird.
26-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Little known fact: The inner labia and the foreskin are basically the same thing in nerve structure.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
28-09-2010, 07:10 AM

yes: it is all about Iron Age and mediaeval control of peoples sexuality. Male circumcision may have been part of the covenant with God, in the Bible, but I would have bought it obvious that this is really about controlling identity and making a distinction between Jews and non-Jews. Of course there are other races which practice circumcision but maybe other time the Bible was being written it did make them somewhat distinct.

Any sort of circumcision of women is, obviously, brutal, unnecessary and a means of control all the women by the men. That women do it to their own girls is only an example of the pressure exerted by the dominant male in the family. In fact I think the practice is now illegal in most countries and the penalties are pretty high if anyone practising it.

Male circumcision is actually medically necessary sometimes. Foreskin can get so tight that urination is virtually impossible due to infections or other circumstances. I have this problem in 1960 when I was 11, had the operation, and lived happily ever after -- so to speak!